Request for excursions Tips for Turk & Puerto Rico

DolceVita2

Hello Everyone,

This will be my first cruise and I need tips for excursions in Turks and Caicos and Puerto Rico please. If one of you can give me tips on what to visit and if it can be done by myself or we need a tour with a guide and if we do need one references please.

I already got Papa Bear, Godrey & Liston for St-Thomas but I am in the dark for Turks and San Juan.

Thank you for your help,

What sort of things interest you? Do you want active or passive? Water related, or a tour?

SJ is fairly easy to do on your own....a guidebook will be helpful in finding out what each place offers so you'll know what it is you want to do!

Also, have you joined the Roll Call. You may find people there who are planning private tours and looking for people to join.

To join, go to the boards menu and scroll down to Roll Calls. Click on your cruise line. Then click on your ship. Finally, click on the thread for your sailing.

There are three different activities in San Juan, PR that I would recommend. Remember that PR is part of the USA and your cell phone will work here under the nation wide plans. Also they accept the USD!

If you like city tours then take a self guided free tour of old San Juan (OSJ). Due to the narrow cobble stone streets, walking is the only way to do it although they have free small buses that rotate around the older area. It is very historic and the visitor's bureau will give you a map. There are two old Spanish forts in OSJ that are maintained by the US Park Service and a fee is charged. They are well worth the visit if you like viewing old forts. Have lunch in the many small restaurants in OSJ and maybe a drink or two.

An alternative is a trip out to the "rain forest" either by an independent tour operator or the ship tour. The official name is El Yunque. It is informative if you like nature. Since I was staying overnight for several nights before boarding the ship, I rented a car and drove it out to El Yunque. That is another alternative if you have enough time.

Bacardi (rum producers) is located in San Juan and gives free tours. Take the cheap city water ferry across the bay by boarding at the pier in OSJ and then take a taxi to the nearby Bacardi distillery. Don't pay exorbitant prices the tour agencies or ship wants to charge you. It is easy and the visitor's bureau located near the pier in OSJ will assist you for free.

Grand Turk is a small island that is around 6 miles long and 1 mile wide. There is not a lot of choices here. I would recommend the beach, snorkeling or scuba diving. I have gone on dive trips to Grand Turk before the cruise ships arrived and had a good time. As for historic sights, basically there is none. Cockburn Town is small with little available to see or even shop. Don't expect a lot.

Have a great cruise.

Hello Satxdiver,

Thank you very much for all your tips. It help me. I will be with my mother who fighted breast cancer and she is not able to walk a lot and stay under the sun too long. Probably no beach and small walks for us. The diving, that is for me do. I'm thinking about it. I would say Grand Turcs is beautiful under water. Do you know if they do nitrox ?

If you will be in San Juan during the day time--

go to google.com and search for walking tour of San Juan.

It was an awesome tour and we got to see all the "good" sites.

Now if you are going at night time-- thats a differemt story since much closes at 5pm

San Juan is very easy to do on your own.

Things to see: El Morro fort (farthest from the pier), the San Juan cathedral, Capilla del Cristo, Governors Mansion, the Capitol Building, many different plazas, and the Paseo de la Princesa. Everyone will understand English and the US dollar is the currency. As someone else said, if you have a phone with a national plan (like ATT, Sprint, etc.) you should have service without roaming charges. My recommendation is to visit El Morro early, since it is the farthest walk and to do it while it is still cool outside. Then walk your way down the streets and plazas. Down by the pier there are usually a lot of craft vendors. Depending on the time of year there may activities including music, plays, etc in the evenings and into the night. There are many shopping opportunities with everything from Marshall's to Coach and Polo Ralph Lauren outlets, to local and imported arts and crafts.

Enjoy!

Archived