Emerald 10-day, skipping formal nights

Bazel

We will be sailing on the Emerald Princess in 12 days (yeah!). As I was wokring on getting our vacation clothes laundered this weekend so they are ready to pack next weekend .. we really began toying with skipping (dress-wise) formal nights.

Besides the Lido buffet, what would be our dining options if we don't want to dress for formal nights? It's been a few years since we have sailed Princess so I am not sure I am up to speed on our options.

Thanks,

Bz

We just went through this (same decision-making process) on are 14 night cruise to the Caribbean in March 2010. We had been on 11 cruises, most with multiple formal nights (we typically take 2 week cruises), and since our last cruise (2004), there have been a lot of new options put in place.

We have the tux and I have enough gowns to walk the red carpet (where else do you wear outfits like this), but we toyed with the idea of forgoing the formal wear just to see if we would misse it or love it.

LOVED IT!!!! We concluded that we've "been there done that" as it pertains to formal wear, I mean seriously, we have probably two dozen or so formal portraits from our cruises so we had a lot of fun and a lot of experience playing dress up. But that "ship" has sailed--ha!

I would say that I was very surprised to see how many people were walking around the ship in nonformal attire during formal nights. I don't mean where they didn't belong (some folks that dress formally get irritated when there are folks wearing casual wear in the public areas, say the theatre), but just walking out and about the ship for one reason or another. Normally, you would see very few folks dressed casually on formal nights, but there were as many folks dressed up as dressed regularly all over the ship so now, more than ever, you would NOT feel out of place walking around the ship on formal night. People are everywhere for all kinds of reasons and no one looks out of place!

There were so many alternatives as well. Although I have read posts that stated their ships' alternative restaurants required the same dress as that of the MDR, we did not find this to be the case. We also did the Lobster Balcony Dinner on one of the formal evenings. This worked out great for me--I got my lobster! Plus the pizza, the Horizon Court, the dining venue behind the Horizon Court (not all ships have that) and/or the International Cafe....so many options.

We'll be on the Emerald on October 29th....hubby's tux and my gowns will not be accompanying us this time either.

We thoroughly enjoyed all of our formal evenings on all of our cruises, but we love the freedom of being able to decide whether or not we want to continue to dress in formal wear and we have that option Princess.

Enjoy!

The Cafe Caribe (behind Horizon Court) has a very interesting and apealing menu in the evenings.Sometimes I went there later -after dinner in MDR and a show-just to see what was there and nibble a bit if I saw something tempting;).Well,I am bad,I know:eek:.

BTW-I am on the Emerald Princess October 29 too:D! CAN' WAIT!!!!

The Cafe Caribe (behind Horizon Court) has a very interesting and apealing menu in the evenings.Sometimes I went there later -after dinner in MDR and a show-just to see what was there and nibble a bit if I saw something tempting;).
We discovered Cafe Caribe during our last cruise on Emerald Princess and it became our dining of choice for the cruise, not just formal nights. The food there for dinner was excellent and contained many items on the MDR menu and many great items that were available no where else. it is a step above Horizon Court, and offers a very nice relaxing dining experience, with attentive wait staff.

Our first formal night we went there because we had had an exhausting day in the sun, dressed casually and fit right in. The second formal night we dressed in semi-formal wear for each other and did not feel out of place. So, take your pick.

Cafe Caribe is definitely the place to go, unless you want to pay extra for specialty restaurants or balcony meals.

We will be sailing on the Emerald Princess in 12 days (yeah!). As I was wokring on getting our vacation clothes laundered this weekend so they are ready to pack next weekend .. we really began toying with skipping (dress-wise) formal nights.

When I have been on Emerald, they will allow gentleman into the

dining room with just slacks and a long sleeve shirt.

This is an observation, not commentary. I'm sure others will provide that.

Oh, I do agree with that. We'll be on the Emerald tomorrow & that's exactly what I've packed for formal evenings. No baseball cap though. ;)

I'm aboard the Oct. 9 cruise, disembarking Oct. 19. We had to give up on the nightly buffet as the food leaves much to be desired. The Caribe cafe is an abbreviated version of the regular buffet -- nothing special.

Between Crown Grill and Sabatini, we preferred Sabatini. Best choice for us was to show up in the main dining room for meals. The International Cafe has the same foods every day, and they are limited to a chicken salad, shrimp salad, and two veggie salads. The pizza is good up by the pool.

If there are "fashion police" on this cruise they aren't visible.

Passengers don't seem affected by dress, even on formal nights. Wear what you like and enjoy your cruise. DH brought one suit and a couple of ties. He looks fine for any meal.

-Claire

Many men will remove their jacket anyway, once inside the DR. Feel free to go to FN without having to get dressed to the nines, as they say.

We enjoyed the Emerald and I'm sure you will too. And speaking of breakfast (were we??) don't miss the meusli in the buffet in the morning. Out of this world! :D

The last few cruises we have taken have been on NCL so no elegant clothes needed, now I am having a hard time deciding on whether to take the formal clothes on the Princess cruise for next spring. DH owns a white tux and a black tux, and I have several long gowns and short cocktail dresses, I just don't know if we will take them or plan on eating in the specialty's those nights. The 10 day cruise has several ports that we will be active at and I am undecided, I was not real impressed with the food in the Princess buffet on our last cruise either. I have read several people's comments about a dress shirt and slacks, but will our husband feel out of place? Oh well I am alway's appreciative of the commentary here at CC, it kind of gives you a feel for things so you know what to expect.

The last few cruises we have taken have been on NCL so no elegant clothes needed, now I am having a hard time deciding on whether to take the formal clothes on the Princess cruise for next spring. DH owns a white tux and a black tux, and I have several long gowns and short cocktail dresses, I just don't know if we will take them or plan on eating in the specialty's those nights. The 10 day cruise has several ports that we will be active at and I am undecided, I was not real impressed with the food in the Princess buffet on our last cruise either. I have read several people's comments about a dress shirt and slacks, but will our husband feel out of place? Oh well I am alway's appreciative of the commentary here at CC, it kind of gives you a feel for things so you know what to expect.

We'll be on the Emerald on October 29th....hubby's tux and my gowns will not be accompanying us this time either.

We're on the 10/29 sailing too! Still waiting on a cabin assignment hoping this is a good sign the upgrade fairy is going to visit. Jury still out on whether or not the "formal" clothes are making it in to the suitcase. Last night DH said he really doesn't mind dressing up once a year.

Bz :cool:

We're on the 10/29 sailing too! Still waiting on a cabin assignment hoping this is a good sign the upgrade fairy is going to visit. Jury still out on whether or not the "formal" clothes are making it in to the suitcase. Last night DH said he really doesn't mind dressing up once a year.

Have you joined the roll call?? It's a good one.

BTW, it's Everyone's cruise...

BTW, it's Everyone's cruise...

I have noticed this too, they really won't say anything. It's just that both my DH have a terrible habit of always playing by the rules. Life would be so much easier if we could learn to stretch it sometimes but we were brainwashed as children. :eek:

I have noticed this too, they really won't say anything. It's just that both my DH have a terrible habit of always playing by the rules. Life would be so much easier if we could learn to stretch it sometimes but we were brainwashed as children. :eek:

No, I had not. Will do so now ... since obviously I am so busy at work today ... it's not that I am more focused on my vacation then the tasks needing my attention. :)

No, I had not. Will do so now ... since obviously I am so busy at work today ... it's not that I am more focused on my vacation then the tasks needing my attention. :)

Let me guess- Catholic schools or the military? DH and I are each the product of one, and we can't not follow the rules either.

Let me guess- Catholic schools or the military? DH and I are each the product of one, and we can't not follow the rules either.

Military AND (!!) Michigan State Police for my hubby. Guess who also follows all the "rules"??

Jan

Triple whammy! Catholic, Military and European Mom (who new the hardships of war)!

Archived