First time cruiser on Carnial Ecstasy. Please help!

newmomtexas

Hi there,

I'm booking our first cruise trip for my family (two adults, one toddle and two seniors). We will departure in Galveston, TX and take a 5-day cruise in spring next year. That limits the cruise line to Carnival Ecstasy. Here are my questions regarding to the ship.

(1) Could anyone explain to me what difference between "Oceanview" and "Oceanview Stateroom Twin/King", and what difference between "Interior Stateroom Twin/King", "Interior Porthole" and "Interior Upper/Lower"?

(2) Even within same category, for example, Oceanview has 8A, 8B, 8C and 8D. what does the number 8 and the letters A, B, C, D mean?

(3) Which part of the ship (middle or back) goes smoother in the sea? I know front is the bumpiest.

(4) Last but not least, where to get best deal?

Any recommendations or suggestions to my trip are very much appreciated!

Thank you very much in advance!

newmomtexas

NO TA can discount or advertise a lower price with Carnival, so Id book direct.

PT = porthole, sold as a inside cabin, but you can see out. These are only where the hull bends up front, so might be noisy from waves hitting or the anchor, but a huge bargain.

1A has one upper and one lower, only 2 can book these cabins.

Oceanviews all have one decent sized window not huge.

A, B, C is A is fore and aft on bottom deck of that category, B is the middle locations on bottom deck and fore and aft on the next deck up usually. (balconys will vary, but true for insides especially).

Middle and low is the least motion, fore and aft both have the most and the higher you go the more motion.

Ecstasy is my favorite ship!!! In fact we have a "good bye" cruise booked on her for Jan!! We have been on her 3 times already. One of my sons gets a bit seasick so we always get a midship cabin on a lower deck. It works well. We always need a quad cabin so it is 2 twins and either 2 upper bunks or 1 upper bunk and a single sofa sleeper. Sometimes we push the twins together or leave them seperate depending on which way gives us the most walk area or access to the window. You will love the ship and cruising!!!

Thank you, Fire and Karen, for your reply.

Fire,

I don't quite understand the concept of of A, B, C in your reply. What about C, D, E? Also, could you please tell me what the numbers (8M, 6A, 4E...) mean? If I want to book one balcony and one interor facing each other, and I like them to be located in a relative quiet and less motion place, which deck/part is my best bet?

Karen,

It's good to know that you loved Ecstasy, especially that you've been to different ships so you compared. One question for you - are all rooms (except Interior Upper/Lower) equiped with four-people capacity? In other words, if I book a room for two, does the room still come with possible four beds?

Thank you both!

Our family just got off Ectasy on Saturday and were in U12 & U30 (front of ship).. None of us experienced rocking/rolling or sleeping. As a matter of fact I have never slept better. We felt being in the front was quieter and quick access to everything. Took us seconds to get to top deck to view early morning sunrise.

Fire,

I don't quite understand the concept of of A, B, C in your reply. What about C, D, E? Also, could you please tell me what the numbers (8M, 6A, 4E...) mean? If I want to book one balcony and one interor facing each other, and I like them to be located in a relative quiet and less motion place, which deck/part is my best bet?

Karen,

It's good to know that you loved Ecstasy, especially that you've been to different ships so you compared. One question for you - are all rooms (except Interior Upper/Lower) equiped with four-people capacity? In other words, if I book a room for two, does the room still come with possible four beds?

Thank you both!

Hi Newmom! I just got off the Ecstasy and have been on her a couple times before. I LOVE the ship and her staff is truly top notch. Fire knows all there is to know about Ecstasy's rooms...but I think that the A, B C etc...is often very much the same type of room....your just paying for a different floor or aft/mid etc. But Fire will be along shortly to give you better info. She is always my go to for 1A info...she is the queen! (Hi Fly!) I assume you will be taking kids...we loved the kids programs on Ecstasy. You are in for a wonderful time. :)

Since we're giving out Ecstasy cabin info to first timers... I booked a 4I for our fist cruise. My PVP said this was one of his favorite cats so I went for it. Any info / tips on these interior rooms?

With respect to the different classes...

From what I can tell 4* is an interior, 6* is an ocean view, 8* or 9* is a balcony. The letter where the * goes signifies the relative rank within the given category. * = A is lowest / least expensive (usually) with subsequent letters meaning a "better" location. "Better" is relative as it usually means a higher deck or different part of the ship (bow, middle, aft).

We did an aft balcony in May and really injoyed it! To me if your aft it's more back n' forth movement instead of up and down that you get more towards the bow. (have had both types like aft much better) Mid ship is the best if you get motion sickness. Email me at Janetluv2Cruise@aol.com and I'll send you some photos of our aft balcony cabin.

We did an aft balcony in May and really injoyed it! To me if your aft it's more back n' forth movement instead of up and down that you get more towards the bow. (have had both types like aft much better) Mid ship is the best if you get motion sickness. Email me at Janetluv2Cruise@aol.com and I'll send you some photos of our aft balcony cabin.

I would love to see your pics too!!! I have been wanting to see an aft on Ecstasy! I'm going to send you an email...Hope it's OK! It will be from Jennifer Nutty :D

Fire,

Karen,

Thank you both!

For the least motion go low and mid ship. So if you want a balcony (8) and an interior (4) facing each other go for the Main deck (M). You could also book that combination on the Empress deck, which would probably still not have too much motion and would be closer to the dining rooms and the promenade. Since the Ecstasy isn't that big of a ship, motion can be an issue, but it's not usually an issue.

If motion wasn't a concern of yours, then I would say book on the Veranda deck due to the location. It's also very quiet up there since the only people who should be down that hallway are those who have cabins there. On both the Main and the Empress those hallways run the length of the ship, so there tends to be a bit more traffic and noise.

Only some staterooms can hold more than 2 people. You can view the deck plans on the Carnival Website to see which rooms hold 3 or 4.

As for the letters, the A's are the cheapest (worst according to Carnival) in each category. It's something to look at, but you may not always agree with Carnival about what the best and worst room are.

The number is the category, which is generally:

1 - inside with upper and lower (like bunk beds), beds can't be made into a queen

4 - Interior room

6 - Oceanview

8 - Balcony

9- Special balcony, but don't think there are any in this class on Ecstasy ??

So an 8M would be their highest class of balcony on the Ecstasy.

If motion wasn't a concern of yours, then I would say book on the Veranda deck due to the location. It's also very quiet up there since the only people who should be down that hallway are those who have cabins there. On both the Main and the Empress those hallways run the length of the ship, so there tends to be a bit more traffic and noise.

Veranda balconies are very small and narrow compaired to other balconies on the Ecstasy. We've had both and I'd book an OV over veranda balcony any day they are just not worth the extra $$. But that may just be me...

Veranda balconies are very small and narrow compaired to other balconies on the Ecstasy. We've had both and I'd book an OV over veranda balcony any day they are just not worth the extra $$. But that may just be me...

I would agree that the OV balconies are better than those on the Veranda, but I loved the location and the quiet hallway. It does sound like the OP would be better of on M or E.

Wow, thank you all so much for the valuable information. Believe it or not, I'm diligently taking notes from your posts. :) JRock, I'll definitely e-mail you to get the pictures.

Jam82, what does OP stand for?

And three more questions:

(1) It seems to me that cabin U71-U109 is narrower than other interior stateroom; however, the sq. ft. seems the same. Any idea?

(2) Technical question - If I book one balcony and one interior, does it matter which one I book for my toddler? If I book my toddler to the interior room and then he wants to stay in the balcony room, will there be a sofa bed in the balcony room for him?

(3) Do we need to worry about the government's warning regarding traveling in Mexico?

Thanks again!

Wow, thank you all so much for the valuable information. Believe it or not, I'm diligently taking notes from your posts. :) JRock, I'll definitely e-mail you to get the pictures.

(1) It seems to me that cabin U71-U109 is narrower than other interior stateroom; however, the sq. ft. seems the same. Any idea?

(2) Technical question - If I book one balcony and one interior, does it matter which one I book for my toddler? If I book my toddler to the interior room and then he wants to stay in the balcony room, will there be a sofa bed in the balcony room for him?

(3) Do we need to worry about the government's warning regarding traveling in Mexico?

Thanks again!

OP = original post/poster, its used referring to the first post of the thread.

If there is a convertible sofa, it will be marked on your deck plans and show the extra bed. Otherwise you will get a smaller sofa, shorter, but probably enough for your toddler.

Thanks again!

I sent the photos did you get them?

Thanks again!

You're the OP (original poster) here. I just meant that your priority of having less motion would be better served by being on a lower deck.

As for you other question:

1. We've been in U102, just on the other side of the hall, and they seem to be the same square feet as the others, but the orientation is different. You walk into the side of the room instead of the end of the room. I actually liked the layout better, but that's a personal preference.

2. I guess the main difference with a toddler switching rooms would be the effort the room attendant goes to make up your toddler's bed, leave him towel animals and leave him cookies, but if you let them know ahead of time then it's no issue. If your toddler requires an actual bed, then make sure both cabins are classified as holding 3 or 4. If not, then there should be a sofa, but it won't fold out and since it's leather or pleather, it would be easy for a toddler to roll off. Only you know how well your toddler will sleep in a strange place with just a blanket.

3. I have two cruises booked to Mexico. I believe that the main issues in Mexico aren't in the cruise ports. Of course that's a personal decision.

Here are some pics from our Aft balcony from May. One of the coolest parts was watching her back into port in progresso from our balcony while dining on room service, and seeing everyone dis-embark. Our room was the one right above the L in Carnival in the one picture.

We had a great trip, I highly recommend the ship.

IMG_2109.jpg.59e8294d99089e86f9a3a1517bb0d046.jpg

IMG_2110.jpg.d4288e66b7b6e996eb35b6feddb9818d.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg.1d13416e308ba0e574c1072424bb5702.jpg

IMG_2122.jpg.58dd70977a8d82e10367274de32176d9.jpg

IMG_2128.jpg.f78eff07a3e729855c95d2b381c7bd9b.jpg

Thank you all! Your recommendations made me excited and look forward to the trip on Ecstasy!

Jam82, you recommended M or E to me for less motion. How about Upper deck? The Upper deck is between M and E so it should be alright. Is that true? Thanks!

Janet and Cruising_Kenboy, I saw the photos. They are awesome! Thank you very much for sharing!

One more question to those who have been to many cruises - how do you rate Progresso and Cozumel among other ports in Caribbean? Thank you!!!

Thank you all! Your recommendations made me excited and look forward to the trip on Ecstasy!

Jam82, you recommended M or E to me for less motion. How about Upper deck? The Upper deck is between M and E so it should be alright. Is that true? Thanks!

Janet and Texasnana, I saw the photos. They are awesome! Thank you very much for sharing!

One more question to those who have been to many cruises - how do you rate Progresso and Cozumel among other ports in Caribbean? Thank you!!!

lowest deck, mid deck is the least motion. (the more you pay the more you sway).

So, Riveria deck .. the LOWEST deck has the least motion in the middle of this deck.

Fire, I guess I didn't ask my question clearly. To my knowledge, from low to high, the decks go Riviera, Main, Upper, Express, Atlantic... in Esctasy. Jam82 recommended Main and Express to me but didn't mention Upper. So I'm wondering if Upper is also a deck with less motion. Thanks!

Archived