Communicating with spouse onboard ship

Olstick

okay -- quick question on the whole texting thing --

Our departure port is Los Angeles, CA. Can my kid text while she is on board the ship from 12 PM until 5 PM (when the ship casts off) -- or -- as soon as she gets on board she needs to turn her phone off because she will then be under ship towers?

We have verizon.

While in port, the ships towers are supposed to be turned off. I am guessing this is true 90%+ of the time.

No matter what, the phone will say which carrier you are on. You might still be on that carrier for a few miles out to sea.

You should be safe until at least cast off. Trusting a teen with cell phone, even if only texting after that is at your own risk!!

thanks -- Oh trust me I know -- about teens and texting -- 7000 texts last month alone -- (new boyfriend). She knows once the horn blows, the phone gets turned off and put in the safe until we get home... I am going to pop for some internet cafe (facebook) time while we are cruising -- just so she and the new BF can keep in touch... Maybe I will even luck out and the will break by the time our cruise starts!

• 5 months later...
not so--not all NCL ships have phones available for full suites.

BG

BG - can you <or anyone else reading this> tell me which ships DO and which ships DON'T have phones available for suites? We had them on the Jewel, and I am expecting to have them on the Dawn this summer!!

thanks,

Karen

BG - can you <or anyone else reading this> tell me which ships DO and which ships DON'T have phones available for suites? We had them on the Jewel, and I am expecting to have them on the Dawn this summer!!

thanks,

Karen

We did not on the Sun 2009 in AC penthouse.

We do the low tech post it notes & messages on the cabin phone. I think you have to go back to the cabin to pick up the messages. You can't dial in.

I'm a sun worshipper. DH is not. On the 1st day I stake out "my" sun deck & show it to DH. That is the 1st place he looks for me.

Also we make a plan / time for happy hour in advance. That way even if we don't see each other during the day, we know when we will meet.

I'm a sun worshipper. DH is not. On the 1st day I stake out "my" sun deck & show it to DH. That is the 1st place he looks for me.

Also we make a plan / time for happy hour in advance. That way even if we don't see each other during the day, we know when we will meet.

I also pick an area on the sun deck where my family can usually find me. We touch base casually thru-out the day and always meet for dinner. Phone messages will usually suffice if there is a change in plans for dinner. Pretty easy to keep in touch since we are all adults and pretty laid back. Everyone does their own thing.

This whole thread just makes me laugh at how OLD I am!! I remember the day when you didn't even call your mother and father unless it was an EMERGENCY!! ( and having to wait an hour for them to pick you up definitely didn't qualify!!)

We plan out our day, so that we each know about how long each activity will take. We plan to meet at certain times (for meals, activities we both enjoy) and then we actually meet at those times!! We both had cell phones with us, but never had to use them. I guess society is crippled by cell phones, and no has to plan anymore?

Yes me too. I remember travelling a distance home and a ring once and hang up meant you arrived safely at home. In remembering that I thought to myself, gee I hope they don't get a wrong number dialed and hang up while I'm on route (yes I said dial, round and round ;)).

I bring post its in case they are needed, but so far have only needed them for notes to my room steward. DH and I also just plan to meet somewhere at a certain time and know each others basic plans, but we are very used to doing that in many places we go on land as well.

Yes we are very much in an instant society. Can't leave home without a cell, texting or email receiving device.

Yes me too. I remember travelling a distance home and a ring once and hang up meant you arrived safely at home. In remembering that I thought to myself, gee I hope they don't get a wrong number dialed and hang up while I'm on route (yes I said dial, round and round ;)).

OMGosh! We used to do this when we would travel to and from Grandma & Grandpa's house! I had forgotten all about it until I read your post...Thank You for reminding me of the great memories! :D

We were on one cruise where there was a large group that I believe were all family. They ALL carried walkie talkies and it seemed that we just couldn't get away from these people - who were SO rude! They did not care where they were, restaurants, library, Spinnaker, Stardust, etc. - they would use those walkies and they would talk loud. You know, not only the person you are talking to needs to hear what you say, but so do a couple hundred of your fellow passengers I guess!:mad:

I'm not saying you would be rude at all. Just telling of one experience.

As for what we do....DH and I stick pretty close together. But if we do go separate ways we know where the other is going so we can usually find them if needed. On occasion we have used the public phones to call our room, or we have left a sticky note on the mirror or door.

Have fun!

• 1 month later...

My mother asked me about the Walkie Talkies yesterday. We leave Friday on the Dawn. She's been sick and might want to crash in the room more than we would and we were thinking of ways to get in touch with her. Cell phones aren't an option since she doesn't have one and dad had texting shut off (hey, we taught him how to use a computer - that was a big step) I'll have to ask DH how good his hunting ones are and maybe bring them just in case.

On the side note of being old fashioned and phone calls. I can remember being in HS and not having change for the phone, calling my mother collect and when I was prompted to speak my name for the recording I'd say "Gail at the gym". My mom would get the message and hear it and then we'd both hang up and she knew to get me at the gym at the school. The things we did before cell phones.

We are all so connected these days that I guess this would be a problem sometimes. We tend to stay together on the ship, but there have been times when I went to the Spa or slept late where the Cellphone would have come in handy..

When we were in port in Cozumel in '06, I was on Nextel and my Dad was able to 'beep' me with Direct Connect and it was just like I was on the other side of town, no suprise charges on my phone. When we were there in '09, I was still on Nextel and I had no service. Guess something changed.

No complaints though, my favorite thing about the Cruise Ship is that my cell phone is turned off. :D

I bring post its in case they are needed, but so far have only needed them for notes to my room steward. DH and I also just plan to meet somewhere at a certain time and know each others basic plans, but we are very used to doing that in many places we go on land as well.

Yes we are very much in an instant society. Can't leave home without a cell, texting or email receiving device.

OMGosh! We used to do this when we would travel to and from Grandma & Grandpa's house! I had forgotten all about it until I read your post...Thank You for reminding me of the great memories! :D

I too had forgotten all about calling and hanging up so you wouldn't get charged for the long distance call (about 60 miles, LOL). Thanks for the memories.:)

I echo the sentiments of the poster who was so annoyed by the family with walkies. We saw some of that on our recent cruise and vowed not to annoy other passengers by using those things. We just arranged a time to meet, and if one of us was going to be late, he/she left a message on the cabin phone. We heard the walkies going off in LeBistro one night and couldn't beleive it!

If we split up (temporarily) on the ship, we just arrange to meet in our cabin at a certain time. If only one of us shows up, we try again 30 mins later. If we want to go looking for each other, maybe in the buffet, we always use the starboard hallways only, so that we do not miss each other. But usually I find DW in bed, napping.

Re cell phones: on board we use them only as our time pieces, with ringers turned off.
On land: On my way home from wherever I have been, I call the house and hang up. That gives her 10-15 minutes to get rid of her boyfriend. :) Hey, it works, we were married in 1957.

Archived