Northern Lights, Toursaver, or both?

rollnoles2

We have booked the Coral Princess Southbound for July 2011. We will spend about 10 days before the cruise visiting the Denali area, Kodiak, Homer, and Seward before we board the ship in Whittier. Our plans are still fairly tentative, but here are things we are looking into. We will fly into Fairbanks and then travel to Denali. Can't decide on driving or taking the train. Any suggestions on pros and cons on the two would be appreciated. In Denali, we are planning on taking the shuttle into park and going whitewater rafting. We are going to Kodiak for the bear viewing, hiking, and kayaking. The main attraction in Homer is halibut fishing. In Seward, we want to explore the Kenai Fjords and in Whittier Prince William Sound (embarkation day).

Would buying both books be redundant? Also, how difficult is it to use the coupons? Are the 2 for 1 deals at times that no one wants to go?

TYIA for all your help!

We used the Northern Lights Entertainment book when we toured Alaska a couple of years ago, and saved a lot of money. Never had a problem redeeming the coupons. There is another thread by AkSusan, on the NL Book, and she has listed many of the savings on her post. You may want to look at it before you decide.

Have a great cruise! We were on Coral NB from Vancouver to Whittier and did all of our own touring with the help of people on this board, such as Budget Queen and AkSusan.

No one can tell you which book to pick. You really need to decide what you want to do, then look at the websites for both books. You will have to weigh the cost of each book vs what you will gain by using the coupons. Some vendors limit the number of coupons they will accept for each tour, so the earlier you can make a reservation, the better off you are. It takes research and planning.

I didn't understand your question about driving or taking the train .... are you referring to the leg between FAI and Denali ?

The advantage of having car a around Denali is that you have more choices of where to stay without being dependent on a hotel shuttle or walking to the Park entrance. Gives you access to other dining options too. Also, with a car you could drive the first 15 miles of the park road in the evenings to watch for moose.

As for the coupon books, I can't imagine you need both. Go to each web site and review the offerings of both to see which one you would utilize the most. Many vendors are in both books; some vendors require the coupon number when you make the resevation;some vendors limit the # of coupons they accept. The Alaska Toursaver is $100 and the vendor is the only person who can remove the coupon from your book. Northern Lights is $50. If you have your heart set on a 9hr Kenai cruise and only one of the books offers a 2 for 1, then that's the book you should get.

No one can tell you which book to pick. You really need to decide what you want to do, then look at the websites for both books. You will have to weigh the cost of each book vs what you will gain by using the coupons. Some vendors limit the number of coupons they will accept for each tour, so the earlier you can make a reservation, the better off you are. It takes research and planning.

Excellent advice. You need to check the offers for both books online, then decide which book, if either or both, is best for you.

As for the coupon books, I can't imagine you need both.

I certainly can! If the savings one gets for each book is more than the cost of the book, and if there are only certain coupons in one book and not the other, then it is very possible to buy both books and save money. I know for 2010 that was my case. Certain vendors were in one or the other book but not both. Saved way more than what I paid for either book.

We had planned on just getting the Northern Lights book because it had the Kenai Fjords Northwestern trip as well as the PWS trip that we wanted in it and the Toursaver didn't. But upon further research, the Toursaver has the Coastal Classic ARR train ( GoldStar service too ) and Teckk Outfitters in Hoonah that we wanted, so, we are probably going to buy both now and end up saving $460 ( minus $50 for Northern Lights and $100 for Toursaver ) just for the 4 "Big" coupons we'll use. We'll end up saving more if we go to Alyeska, take the Mt. Roberts tram, upgrade our car rental for free, eat at any of the coupon restaurants, etc.

Archived