Question About the Upgrade Fairy

hamfiveo

Just a quick question. I notice that some people get calls often from the upgrade fairy and some don't receive any calls at all. For those who have received calls, did you book your cruise through Carnival themselves or through a separate travel agent?

I'm just curious, because I am hoping that I do receive a call and really want to upgrade out of my interior, yet I don't want to get my hopes up because I didn't book through Carnival.

Also, does anyone know if it is random, or do that target a specific group?

Thanks

You are looking for the UpSELL Fairy. From what I have read, they are only calling those that booked directly through Carnival, though. It is pretty random, too.

If you really want out of the interior room, your best bet is to call whoever made your reservations to begin with and see how much an upgrade would cost and decide if it's worth it to you.

I got an email from the upgrade fairy, not a call at all. I booked online so maybe that is why, but I kept myself in the interior with a porthole rather than upgrade to a window. Now if they had emailed and siad I could get a balcony for 50 bucks more that would have been another story.

Well I guess from now on I'll be booking on my own.

Stinks that when I booked this cruise, I originally found a porthole room, but was at work and never had an opportunity to book it. When I got home to book it the room was gone.

I did call the TA a while ago and she told me that it would be over $200 for an interior to window. Can't remember the exact price.

I have no intention of paying over $200 for a window.

Just a quick question. I notice that some people get calls often from the upgrade fairy and some don't receive any calls at all. For those who have received calls, did you book your cruise through Carnival themselves or through a separate travel agent?

I'm just curious, because I am hoping that I do receive a call and really want to upgrade out of my interior, yet I don't want to get my hopes up because I didn't book through Carnival.

Thanks

Since my husband and I were married twenty years ago, we have been on at least one cruise each year. We have sailed Celebrity, CCL, Norwegian, RCCL, Disney, and the Big Red Boat (our honeymoon). Before we had a child we typically sailed in a balcony. When our daughter mutated into a teen, we started sailing in suites. On Carnival that means what was a category 11 and is now an OS. We have never used a travel agent. I always book with the cruiseline directly.

Our first upsell call EVER was two weeks ago. We leave on the Dream 10/30. Anyhow Carnival offered us an upgrade from our category 11 to a category 12 for $750.00 total (for 3 of us). I turned

it down. Ihave visited category 12's and I can do without the bigger couch.

I would tell anyone not to count on an upsell call to get the cabin you really want. Book what you really want and enjoy your trip. The

days of real upgrades have been gone for years. They might happen rarely, but you should NOTcount on one. The upsell process has nothing to do with magical fairies. It has to do with moving people in certain

cabins into even more expensive cabins because the less expensive cabins are easier to sell. That is how ships are filled. Canival is very good at it.

Have fun!

I booked my first Carnival cruise with Carnival directly and I got a phone call just this week (26 days to sailing) offering me to upgrade from my balcony to an ocean suite for $352 total for 2 people. Originally I booked a guaranteed balcony and when the price dropped I called and was offered to upgrade to an 8C midship balcony on the Empress deck for $10 a person. I don't know if this is coincidence but while i was logged in to Carnivals website I was looking up the prices of suites for the cruise I'm booked on and received the upsell call 10 minutes later, which i took no less! I still can't get over the fact that our suite was $699 a person for a 6 night cruise! I hope I like Carnival!!!

Thanks

We got an upsell call and he stated it was because my husband would be celebrating a birthday. Another person got a call because they were celebrating an anniversary. Believe we both had booked through CCL, at least we did. Don't knlow if they look at special events or it just happened that way. We did not take upsell because it was only $25.00 less than the suite was currently listed. Someone apparently took it, though because it is gone.

Thanks for the answers... I don't plan my vacation in hopes of getting an upsell call, and being on a budget I can in reality only afford an interior. It wouldn't hurt however to get a window for $50. That won't break the bank!

Archived