Movies on board?

hamfiveo

This is our first time on Carnival, and I seem to think of a new question each day. Am I correct to assume that they play movies each night on the video screen above the pool? If so what movies do they show and what time do they start? Also, does it get crowded to the point where it's impossible to find a chair? Should I get there nice and early to reserve a seat?

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

The screen was playing all day and into the night.

Usually concerts during the day, CNN in the morning, occasionally a movie in the afternoon.

Usually a movie played at 8PM every night, repeated at 10 or 10:30PM. (depending on how long it runs)

It was some of the same movies playing on rotation in our cabin each day... (Usually movies just out on DVD or about to come out on DVD in the next couple of weeks)

Never had a problem getting a seat in the stadium seating area there around the pool.

Bill

Do they prepare the seating for the movie? For example, when I was on Princess they called the outdoor theater MUTS - Movie Under the Stars. For the night time showings, they would put bed-like cushions on the lounge chairs, have blankets available and hand out popcorn. Is it like this on Carnival?

It wasnt on the last two I was on. They did have popcorn but for a charge. I still enjoyed watching the movie under the stars...I also remember first boarding the ship (first time with the big screen) and U2 was playing a concert on the screen, it was the greatest.

The Dream had an area on the Lido deck where you could check out blankets for evening movies and you could also get popcorn. Of course it was cold when we were on the Dream last October in Italy. They may not be doing that since they are in Florida now.

Just got off the Liberty on Saturday...there were movies from late afternoon or early evening to late night. Some of the movies were: Dear John, Invictus, Leap Year, Alice in Wonderland, The Book of Eli, The Last Song and When in Rome. And then multiple concerts and Sunday/Monday Night Football.

Lounge decks were the same as during pool time. And popcorn was served from the bar. Not sure if there was a charge or not.

Just off the Victory this past Sunday. They showed movies or concerts at night around 8pm. Nothing special though....we didn't even go watch anything. You could watch the same movie on the big screen from your room. I know the evenings we were out walking around on Lido, it was never crowded...not even close. I don't remember seeing any popcorn, but it could have been there.

It wasnt on the last two I was on. They did have popcorn but for a charge. I still enjoyed watching the movie under the star...I also remember first boarding the ship (first time with the big screen) and U2 was playing a concert on the screen, it was the greatest.

I just got off the Valor on Sunday and saw the U2 concert. I also had breakfast on deck one day while watching a Genesis (Phil Collins) history of/concert video. Very good.

Do they prepare the seating for the movie? For example, when I was on Princess they called the outdoor theater MUTS - Movie Under the Stars. For the night time showings, they would put bed-like cushions on the lounge chairs, have blankets available and hand out popcorn. Is it like this on Carnival?

No, it does not compare to Princess.

No, it does not compare to Princess.

Yah, I'm thinking compared to Princess, Carnival can't match it. MUTS was fun stuff. I don't know why Carnival doesn't attempt to match Princess when it comes to movies. Is it because Princess is more "luxurious" than Carnival?

I loved MUTS on Princess. You feel so cozy snuggled up with you wife/husband. I'm looking forward to see how MUTS is run on the Liberty next year.

Yah, I'm thinking compared to Princess, Carnival can't match it. MUTS was fun stuff. I don't know why Carnival doesn't attempt to match Princess when it comes to movies. Is it because Princess is more "luxurious" than Carnival?

I'm with you on this one, MUTS is one of our favorite things about sailing on Princess! Along with the movies that they show, they also show sports (i.e. football) and concerts. My favorite concert memories on MUTS was the Tina Turner concert they showed - people filled the deck for that one - and, once they showed a Barry Manilow concert and people were up on their feet dancing and singing along to Copacabana and Can't Smile Without You. I guess you had to be there, but people really enjoyed themselves.

I hope someday they retrofit all the Carnival ships with the big screen. It really does enhance the cruising experience.

Archived