Quick Trip Report-Beach Near Cruise Port

Host Faith

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Thanks for all the info on the beaches. :)

I found this arial photo of Frederiksted and nearby beaches and establishments:

http://www.gotostcroix.com/aerialphotos/frederiksted.php

Great link Dr Watson. :D

They say you can walk to Sand Castle on the Beach from the pier.

2-3 miles.

The distance on the arial map looks deceptive.

Doesn't it look further?

2-3 miles.

Doesn't it look further?

We walked to Sand Castle and it took about 20 minutes. I would guess it is about one mile from the pier.

The shuttle is right at the end of the cruise pier. There are very helpful folks there who will be happy to answer your questions. You buy the round trip $6 pp ticket at a table right there at the pier, and they direct you to the shuttle van.

We walked to Sand Castle and it took about 20 minutes. I would guess it is about one mile from the pier.

I have a group of about 16 with 2 babies going.

It's either we walk or take the shuttle.

If we walk is it on the beach or are there sidewalks?

Thanks!

Will inform the others in my group.

Got it. We are still debating on whether to rent a small car or walk. People may get annoyed with us trying to install one car seat. Now if we walk and it starts to rain, the wife may not be too happy having to walk back to the ship in the middle of a down pour.

2-3 miles.

Doesn't it look further?

You are right, from a straight down shot, it looks like a mile. From this picture, it looks like an eternity.

Got it. We are still debating on whether to rent a small car or walk. People may get annoyed with us trying to install one car seat. Now if we walk and it starts to rain, the wife may not be too happy having to walk back to the ship in the middle of a down pour.

Who cares if "they" aren't happy.

Your child's safety comes first. ;)

If they give you a hard time, tell them to come see me. hammer.gif ;) :D

Thanks for all the info on the beaches. :)

I found this arial photo of Frederiksted and nearby beaches and establishments:

http://www.gotostcroix.com/aerialphotos/frederiksted.php

I have a question about the beach between the cruise pier and Sandcastle. Is this area all public beach? The photo link shows all beach area, but not clear if it's public or private. We have the morning free before our tour in the afternoon and are looking for something to do. It sounds like the Fort Frederick Beach is closed (anyone know if it's open and what shape it's in) or not in great shape due erosion in December so thinking of walking from the pier toward Sand Castle/Dorsch Beach. Could we stop anywhere along this stretch? Is it safe to do this? Are Sandcastle and Dorsch Beach the same beach? If we walk all the way to Sandcastle, do we have to purchase a pass? Appreciate any information and suggestions. Thanks.

Can partially answer--no pass needed at Sandcastle, Sandcastle is part of Dorsch beach, the Ft. Frederick beach was open on 1/8 but not sure about what shape it was in (saw from the pier, didn't have time to go there.)

As far as the beach between the pier and Sandcastle/Dorsch, I saw a couple of people swimming there. All beaches are public on St. Croix. Don't know if it is safe.

• 11 months later...

Good morning all! I was reading the Bermuda boards yesterday and saw that people collect sea glass there pretty often. Just remembered that we collected a couple nice pieces of sea glass from this beach in St. Croix, if anyone collects it. A lot of greens and whites. Not as much as it sounds is available in Bermuda, but we got about two handfuls. I placed mine in a nice glass container in our office, very pretty :)

• 1 month later...

We actually collected 2 BAGS of sea glass in Bermuda at the glass beach. Mostly greens, light blue and white but did snag some cobolt blue, red and pink. DS collected bottle bottoms and bought a book in the Dockyard that has enabled him to date the pieces according to the marks in the glass. We all alsoo found some pieces of Delft china. Very cool but NO ambiance. Crappy looking beach. Looking forward to our first visit to St Croix. Didn't know there was sea glass there:)

We actually collected 2 BAGS of sea glass in Bermuda at the glass beach. Mostly greens, light blue and white but did snag some cobolt blue, red and pink. DS collected bottle bottoms and bought a book in the Dockyard that has enabled him to date the pieces according to the marks in the glass. We all alsoo found some pieces of Delft china. Very cool but NO ambiance. Crappy looking beach. Looking forward to our first visit to St Croix. Didn't know there was sea glass there:)

Sounds like a nice place to stop for a couple minutes! Thanks for posting. Enjoy your cruise stop in St. Croix. We had a nice time at the beach there. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw someone mention in another thread that while they were in St. Croix resently there was a sign at this beach saying no swimming due to pollution. Anyone know anything about this? We will be in St. Croix in 2 weeks and were planning to go to this beach, but if we can't swim sounds like we need to start planning something else to do.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Our DD's family LOVED Sandcastle Beach! :)

She also told me the beach near the pier there we use to go (when she was lots younger & cruising with us) near the pier after taking a snorkel tour was still there BUT she liked Sandcastle much better.

• 1 month later...
Our DD's family LOVED Sandcastle Beach! :)

She also told me the beach near the pier there we use to go (when she was lots younger & cruising with us) near the pier after taking a snorkel tour was still there BUT she liked Sandcastle much better.

Hi stranger, hope you are doing well:) I LOVE Sandcastle too and will

be going there again in November:)...I was there back in January 2010

and looking forward to relaxing there again:D

Hi stranger, hope you are doing well:) I LOVE Sandcastle too and will

be going there again in November:)...I was there back in January 2010

and looking forward to relaxing there again:D

:) Thanks, Lois! Also hope you're doing well! I'll always remember how helpful you were to everyone when Zenith was doing 10 day cruises out of JAX.

Great you'll be back at Sandcastle. As my older daugher says ... "There's nothing not to like."

• 2 months later...
Morning all! Just wondering if anyone's been to the beach close to the cruise pier (not Sandcastle) lately? Any updates would be appreciated. :)

I am also wondering about the Public Beach or LaGrande on the left of the pier when walking from the ship. We were at Sandcastles in Feb 2011 and have done Rainbow Beach. How is the public beach now no hurricanes for a while. We are going to St Croix on the Summit in November

Ontario Cruiser

Archived