Bed bugs

None on the Sun, Dawn, Jewel or Gem. Some of our cruises go back a few years, so the situation may have changed by now, you never know.

However, as soon as a bed bug has been sighted on a ship by a passenger, you *know* that the news will be all over these boards and Twitter and Facebook.

never had a problem with bedbugs anywhere, thank goodness. One time we thought our daughter had gotten bitten by them in San Francisco, turned out to be chicken pox..

As for problems, do watch out as Don said for sand fleas especially in places like Roatan. It can appear to be bedbugs, but isn't. I advise use something with Deep in it and apply it before going on shore. Hubby waited until we got to the beach: too late. You don't see them, but the next day you know they visited you.

Nita

I have only posted a few times. But, some of your replies are so critical. "Do your homework" things like that. If someone says they are new, give a respectful answer to the question. Sure, it may have been asked a million time before, but we do not know that.

I have only posted a few times. But, some of your replies are so critical. "Do your homework" things like that. If someone says they are new, give a respectful answer to the question. Sure, it may have been asked a million time before, but we do not know that.

To Point: the OP never said she was new, in fact she has over 100 posts to her credit and has been in the forum since 2006, nothing there to suggest she's 'new'.

To recovered: You state you have only posted a few times, yet at this time your post count is exactly 1, how do you figure that? My response wasn't critical at all, it was just an informative post to mention that the search function, and that the topic of bed bugs has been discussed before. :)

A coworker picked them up on a cruise a few years back. I don't remember which cruise line. She brought them home and then had an issue at home where it took her several thousand dollars to have them irradicated.

It's just good sense these days to check the mattress/box spring for signs of them. Not just on a cruise ship but anywhere that you stay. With so many people coming and going each week, there is going to be a chance of a problem. If you're too worried about it - just stay home. (not me!!)

Question for those saying: check the beds/mattress, etc. when you board... I'm not saying this isn't bad advice, but let's suppose you do find something and the cruise is sold out -- no cabin they can move you to. What do you do? From other things I've read, getting rid of bed bugs is not as simple as just changing the sheets and spraying the room. What should passengers do in such a circumstance?

Question for those saying: check the beds/mattress, etc. when you board... I'm not saying this isn't bad advice, but let's suppose you do find something and the cruise is sold out -- no cabin they can move you to. What do you do? From other things I've read, getting rid of bed bugs is not as simple as just changing the sheets and spraying the room. What should passengers do in such a circumstance?

If another cabin isn't available, I would insist upon a new bed, at least a change of mattress and pillows along with a change of sheets and pillow cases, not to mention a good spray of the entire cabin. I can wait several hours before retiring to bed...

Archived