Cruise Etiquette - Major Faux Pas???

Izzblizz

It's been mentioned before -- but good elevator manners are a must. ;)

And while this one sounds like a no-brainer -- just make an effort to watch where you are going. On several different occasions, DH and I both have nearly been bowled-over by people concentrating only on where they were headed -- not even noticing the people they were running over in order to get there! :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
People can be rude everywhere. I was in a line and some woman kept nudging me. She finaly told me to take my back pack off as it was interfering with her. I turned around and told her I was sorry and that I must have been in the wrong line. So I asked if this was the line to board the aircraft and she said yes what are you an idiot. So I told her that she was so close to me that I thought we were in the conga line. LOL. She backed off.

The whole reason back packs have sholder straps, is so when you are walking you can carry them on your back.

If they are large, bulkly etc. then when you are in standing in a line or walking very slowly, and are apt to turn side to side, they should be treated like any other piece of luggage. Keep them at your feet or carry in your hands.

To the backpack people: you might be thoughtful in how you handle your backpack, but for every one of you, there are 10 who are inconsiderate. Not only on ships, but mainly on airplanes. How many times has anyone here been whacked in the head by a backpack wearer who's walking down the aisle? Now, don't start with the "keep back 5 feet" crud. What, I'm supposed to sit on the wing until you guys get seated?

Those of us who are short or in wheelchairs cannot stand 10 feet back to avoid your sometimes overloaded item. If we do, you'll have the people behind you yelling for you to move up, or they're pushing you to move or they're cutting in front of you. So, it's a no win situation. We either get smacked or we get those in line behind us po'd because we're standing back.

To the backpack people: you might be thoughtful in how you handle your backpack, but for every one of you, there are 10 who are inconsiderate.

Let me extend the backpack discussion to carry-ons. If you are in a line and are pulling a carry-on, please keep it close to you. Please do not just leisurly drag it behind you with your arm fully extended backwards. By doing this, you create a constant tripping hazzard for those behind you and they have to constantly watch your bag.

I believe "leave some space" is appropriate no matter what the person in front of you is carrying. Unless its the end of the world. LOL.

If there was a like button for this I would hit it. If you are close enough to me to be hit by a backpack, you deserve to be hit.

I think elevators have been mentioned before, but I'm not sure. So here's an elevator comment.

Some people seem not to undersand basic physics - two objects cannot occupy the same space at the same time. It's wise to stand aside when the elevator doors open and allow walking room for people who wish to leave. Especially on a crowded elevator, this must happen before anyone else can get on. This sounds elementary, but it's amazing how many people don't seem to comprehend.

And if the doors close a little too quickly, it's guaranteed that another one will be along shortly. It isn't as though we're trying to escape a fire (actually, a really bad idea to use the elevators then anyhow). I'm not implying that this comment applies to you, but it is interesting to observe elevator behavior. Maybe they need signs with bullet points like the ones we see at most swimming pools.

Edited by Spectax

I'm kinda new to cruising, but have had the privilege of travelling pretty heavily. I'm just a young guy and have no right to give advice to anybody, but here goes.

I think the same simple rules apply to everything, everywhere. Be good to people, laugh off the potential annoyances, and be sure it's worth it before you make a stand for something; then see it through reasonably and fully.

Most of all, just drink in the experience. You're on vacation. Even when it's not perfect, those are still the good times.

I'm kinda new to cruising, but have had the privilege of travelling pretty heavily. I'm just a young guy and have no right to give advice to anybody, but here goes.

I think the same simple rules apply to everything, everywhere. Be good to people, laugh off the potential annoyances, and be sure it's worth it before you make a stand for something; then see it through reasonably and fully.

Most of all, just drink in the experience. You're on vacation. Even when it's not perfect, those are still the good times.

You are wise beyond your years. With an attitude like that, you are going to have a great life.

bob123

So, here I am at breakfast in the Windjammer and I see one of my traveling companions coming to my table with her tray. Now she had booked a scuba diving trip for later in the morning, and I guess she wanted to save some time, because she was decked out in a full body wet suit! In the Windjammer. Coming to MY table. Not much room at those tables to hide under.

Nice lady, but her elevator definitely did not make it up to the Lido Deck.

bob123

If there was a like button for this I would hit it. If you are close enough to me to be hit by a backpack, you deserve to be hit.

A typical remark from a backpacker user who doesn't care a bit for others. I got my face bruised by a backpack, standing in a crowded area by someone like you. I'm also short and very easy to push forward when it's crowded. So I suppose I deserved it...

Maybe I should have apologized coming to close?

A typical remark from a backpacker user who doesn't care a bit for others. I got my face bruised by a backpack, standing in a crowded area by someone like you. I'm also short and very easy to push forward when it's crowded. So I suppose I deserved it...

Maybe I should have apologized coming to close?

I care plenty for others, I also care for my personal space

I care plenty for others, I also care for my personal space

So do I. And I don't like to get to close to people if I can avoid it. But sometimes everybody (including me) have to accept that it's not possible to always demand the personal space wanted. Especially not in crowded areas and lines for example... It's just a matter of showing consideration when needed.

I promise - if you carry your backpack in hand when crowded - I will do my very best not to get so close that I will breathe down your neck...;)

So do I. And I don't like to get to close to people if I can avoid it. But sometimes everybody (including me) have to accept that it's not possible to always demand the personal space wanted. Especially not in crowded areas and lines for example... It's just a matter of showing consideration when needed.

I promise - if you carry your backpack in hand when crowded - I will do my very best not to get so close that I will breathe down your neck...;)

LOL...deal. I'll put my backpack on when I'm off the gangway...but after that all bets are off...:D

cgrout78 - Wow a voice of reason and compromise! Wonderful!

I've been following this thread for a while to see what other faux pas people might mention and am surprised to see that the backpack bashers and cheerleaders still out in full force. I, too, am fairly small and have been pushed forward in lines and then gotten bashed by a backpack in front of me. Another problem are the huge purses. (Man, some purses are gigantic these days!) Picture those with huge purses that are generally held to their side, but then they turn around quickly and -WAP - smack the person in front or back of them, if there wasn't an extra foot or so of space.

Anyway, just had to comment that a little bit of give and take on everyone's side will make things better. And even if you do get hit - or are the hitter - maybe if we ALL respond with warmth and an apology - then the tiny "molehill" remains just that.

Hogwildest - LOVE your attitude! :)

cgrout78 - Wow a voice of reason and compromise! Wonderful!

I've been following this thread for a while to see what other faux pas people might mention and am surprised to see that the backpack bashers and cheerleaders still out in full force. I, too, am fairly small and have been pushed forward in lines and then gotten bashed by a backpack in front of me. Another problem are the huge purses. (Man, some purses are gigantic these days!) Picture those with huge purses that are generally held to their side, but then they turn around quickly and -WAP - smack the person in front or back of them, if there wasn't an extra foot or so of space.

Anyway, just had to comment that a little bit of give and take on everyone's side will make things better. And even if you do get hit - or are the hitter - maybe if we ALL respond with warmth and an apology - then the tiny "molehill" remains just that.

Hogwildest - LOVE your attitude! :)

Reason and compromise IS a rare thing here, I agree. I really am not trying to be rude or unreasonable, but I also tend to get a bit claustrophobic, so sometimes a purse or something is a way to make sure that I do have some space. I also try to avoid mad rush of times when there will be a guaranteed crowd so that it's not so packed. I'll never be the first off or on the ship, that's for sure. I'm all about letting the crowd clear out.

Reason and compromise IS a rare thing here, I agree. I really am not trying to be rude or unreasonable, but I also tend to get a bit claustrophobic, so sometimes a purse or something is a way to make sure that I do have some space. I also try to avoid mad rush of times when there will be a guaranteed crowd so that it's not so packed. I'll never be the first off or on the ship, that's for sure. I'm all about letting the crowd clear out.

So you think we of Cruise Critic could start a Reason and Compromise Movement? Could we get the US Politicians to join?