Cruise Etiquette - Major Faux Pas???

Izzblizz

When it is crowded by the pool and we saw a group, had scattered a sngle towel on every other chair, and then gone to eat, we piled all their towels on 1, and then invited a few couples, that had been circling to find lounges beside each other, to sit down andenjoy each other's company.

One fellow, bought me a Rum & Coke, saying, "I am glad you had the guts to do that"

A HAL staff, started laughing, and gave us the thumbs up.

When they filtered in looking for "their" chairs they were dumb founded and asked a staff person ehat happened? He pointed to a sign mentioning "DON"T DO THAT"

We were circling the WJ looking for a table when we saw an empty one. Once we sat down, we noticed a ship's store bag on the window ledge. I thought the previous diner had left it and took it to the nearest staff member. Well, about 10 minutes later this couple comes up with their trays looking for the table they "saved" and their package. I pointed out the staff person where their package was. I admit, it had crossed my mind that the package was a place holder but I wasn't sure and, at first, I really did think it was a forgotten item.

So, was I in the wrong? The whole saving seats thing tics me off so I may not be seeing it objectively. Was the table saver rude, or was i?

PS. It was only a 2-person table or I'd have invited them to join us. THAT would have been awkward.

Edited by Hawaiifrank

We were circling the WJ looking for a table when we saw an empty one. Once we sat down, we noticed a ship's store bag on the window ledge. I thought the previous diner had left it and took it to the nearest staff member. Well, about 10 minutes later this couple comes up with their trays looking for the table they "saved" and their package. I pointed out the staff person where their package was. I admit, it had crossed my mind that the package was a place holder but I wasn't sure and, at first, I really did think it was a forgotten item.

So, was I in the wrong? The whole saving seats thing tics me off so I may not be seeing it objectively. Was the table saver rude, or was i?

PS. It was only a 2-person table or I'd have invited them to join us. THAT would have been awkward.

If it truly was 10 minutes and they had not just left it for a few minutes to get food, what you did was OK. You do need to remember that the food lines sometimes move slowly and they might have put their stuff down just to get food.

What we do when we are in the buffet is that only one of us gets food at a time. That way, the table never looks empty.

DON

If it truly was 10 minutes and they had not just left it for a few minutes to get food, what you did was OK. You do need to remember that the food lines sometimes move slowly and they might have put their stuff down just to get food.

What we do when we are in the buffet is that only one of us gets food at a time. That way, the table never looks empty.

DON

That's what we do too - unless it's at a time that's not really too busy, like early in the morning. Then we'll both get our food and go looking for a table.

Just use your common sense and be polite. You'll be fine. Have a great cruise!

Sorry, but I'm afraid the US has been running short of both those commodities these past few years: our "friends" the Canadians to our North have been greedily buying them up and using them at a horrific rate, leaving many of us 'Mericans on the short side, so we _have_ to be rude and stupid! ;) <just kidding!>

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to add an MDR question here instead of making. Whole new thread for one question. The info here is great!

In the MDR, what happens if the people dining wi you don't show up? How rude is it to start without them, especially in the first night? I'm happy to let people know on the first night "if we're not here start without us" but I've also seen others who say they never set foot in the MDR - how long is long enough to be polite?

I'd hate to make an enemy of my table mates through unintentional faux pas...

I'm going to add an MDR question here instead of making. Whole new thread for one question. The info here is great!

In the MDR, what happens if the people dining wi you don't show up? How rude is it to start without them, especially in the first night? I'm happy to let people know on the first night "if we're not here start without us" but I've also seen others who say they never set foot in the MDR - how long is long enough to be polite?

We rarely dine in the MDR so we never accept assigned dining times. When we do decide to check out the MDR, we always request a table for 2.

Your waiter will usually provide guidance on the issue. Remember that your table mates may be new to cruising and not understand that fixed dining is the same as a dinner reservation and that they are expected to attend.

The waiter will usually have you place orders after about 5 minutes since they know folks often don't show up, especially the first night. Starting without them after 5 minutes is not rude.

I have a funny story to tell. I had just finished reading this thread in a doctor's office when a couple came in with the man using a walker. I at first said my son was sitting next to me then remembered this thread & said go ahead my son can sit on the other side of me. We started talking & found they also do a lot of cruising but had never heard of CC. I explained about all of the information out here & apologized about not telling her to sit next to me right away. It was closest to the desk. I was more aware of their difficulties & was more willing to help than I probably would have been in the past. Thanks for starting this thread & keeping it going. it really doesn't take a lot to make a small difference in someone's day.

My husband and I like having other people at the table with us, makes for more lively dinner conversation, and you never know when you meet some really interesting people. But if they are not there 10-15 minutes after the set dinner time, we'll start ordering :) We will also always do the courtesy of letting our tablemates know if we have specialty reservations the following night, so that they don't wait for us (I know it may be a little trickier if you make reservations the same day - in our case it just hasn't happened yet).

On our very first cruise, we didn't realize that we had been given an assigned dining time in the MDR. Our first night we went to the MDR and met our table mates and had a good time. Our second night we just decided to eat elsewhere and didn't understand that we should have let the MDR know. The third night we went back to the MDR and one of the table mates made a very rude remark about us and another couple not showing up the prior evening. We were quite taken aback by the remark as we didn't realize that we had done anything wrong. We no longer wished to interact with such rude behaviour and decided not to visit the MDR for the remainder of the cruise. Our table mate's rude comments produced the very opposite outcome they were trying to achieve.

How about no Speedos by hairy men, hairless men, men over 12? Has this been covered? Or barely as the case may be.:eek:

I'll add check you swimwear before you cruise. If the elastic is gone of the fabric perished...GET NEW ONES.

I've had the misfortune to be sitting in the spa when a couple whose swimwear was about 10 cruises too old got in.... I saw 70+ year old body parts I've never wanted to see!!!!! His were so bad he was wearing jockeys under his speedo!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app