AMA Vietnam

travrealtor

Thanks, Mike, for the heads up. I think we have a Schwab card that also doesn't have foreign transaction fees.

Is the Schwab card you refer to a Debit or a Credit Card ?

I remember reading somewhere in the fine print that foreign transaction fees are waived, but I can't recall if it was just for Debit Card withdrawals at kiosks, or if that applied to Credit card purchases as well.

We'll be on the AMA land/cruise itinerary in early November 2011. For the Halong Bay visit, do you take your only your carry-on luggage or do you take both luggage pieces on the junk? I've read the junk cabin is not large and seem to recall reading somewhere that travelers are asked just to take their carry-on bag with needed clothing/items.

Also, in regards to the 40lb limit, is this strongly monitored? What are the implications of exceeding this this limit? I can see leaving the US with a 40lb bag and, given that we're arriving early into Hanoi, making a few purchases that result in a 45lb bag. Is the penalty largely a possible additional luggage charge? Did anyone run into this?

When we took a Viking River Cruise to China, we were advised about luggage weight restrictions. However, it seemed that either the weight limit was applied to the entire group or wasn't closely monitored. We plan to stay within the suggested luggage weight limits, but also realize that this is a trip that will likely not be taken again.

Thanks.

Robert and Betty,

The cabins on the junk are not large. I used a collapsible duffel for a change of clothes and toiletries, but any small bag or backpack is fine. Your main bags will be locked in the cargo compartment of the bus while you are on the junk.

You should check with the air carrier for the allowable weights. I suspect that their weight limit is 20 kilos which is 44lbs. I understand there is an additional charge for overweight bags, but I don't know how much. We made very few purchases in Hanoi, waiting until after our flight to Cambodia.

I hope this helps. I'll be out of touch for a couple weeks - off on another trip.

Jeff

Is the Schwab card you refer to a Debit or a Credit Card ?

I remember reading somewhere in the fine print that foreign transaction fees are waived, but I can't recall if it was just for Debit Card withdrawals at kiosks, or if that applied to Credit card purchases as well.

It is a credit card. However, shortly after we ordered the card last year, Schwab suddenly stopped offering it. I'm not sure if they are offering it again, but the major reason we ordered it was for the no foreign transaction fees and I think they were also offering a rebate on the card. Please check it out.

Fidelity may also offer something says my better half.

I appreciate the information that is being generated by those who have done the AMA Vietnam cruise. Unfortunately, my husband and I have to take the July cruise and will probably run into some rain. However, we still have some questions before we do a final commit. In addition to the price of the cruise, we now have to consider the cost of Visas but one thing that I need to know is do we need do anything about taking drugs or shots which I am hearing can be quite costly. Also, I'm assuming that all excursions are included but I was told that there could be a couple of additional excursions beyond what is supplied. Do you know anything about this? Thanks for any help that you can offer. I would like to make a decision by tomorrow concerning whether or not to commit to this cruise.

We have already had the Hep A and Hep C shots and DPT. So we took the typhoid orally and plan to take the malaria meds (which if you get the generic form is only about $10.) The shots can be expensive but if you do adventure travel you will use them for other trips like to other parts of Asia and Africa.

My recommendation would be to go NOW. With Viking starting up and other cruise lines thinking about doing it, the charm will soon disappear and it will be come very commercialized. Spend the money, think of it as an investment in a cultural experience and go for it. Too many people are suddenly struck with disease, heart attacks etc when they postpone. Carpe Diem!

I understand that 99% of excursions are taken care of. We received our docs and there was only one day that I saw out of 21 where there was an option to do something not included. So there are no extras that way. On the 21 day trip there were about 8 nights of no dinners. But looking at restaurants on line food can be inexpensive off site of the hotel. Forgot to answer that question in the other post.

Leaving Saturday and cannot wait.

You mentioned a 12 hour lay over in Seoul on the Vietnam cruise with AMA. We are considering this cruise but the thought of flying all day and then having a 12 hour lay over is really not too appealing. How did the tour of Seoul work out? Did it kill a lot of time and was it worth the 12 hour layover? I'm thinking of asking AMA to rebook this flight but I'm not sure if there is a viable option. Thanks for your input.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading all of the wonderful information about AMA to Vietnam, particularly about taking cash for tips, purchases, etc. Does AMA cash traveller's checks on board? This can save from brining so much cash. Also, does AMA pick you up at the airport if you arrive a day early through their arrangements?

Thanks!

Hi,

Would you mind elaborating on your extra day pre/post cruise with AMA. Do you mean an extra night in the applicable hotels and arranging tours on your own? I am considering going in a day early and perhaps staying an extra day but haven't really thought about the different options.

Thanks for your help,

Susan

I did arrange few nights with AMA at the Sofitel in Siem Reap before the cruise with transfers to the ship ( no tour ) we do on our own. We are starting our trip from Phuket then picking up Amalotus in SiemReap then another 5 days on our own in HCMC.

does AMA pick you up at the airport if you arrive a day early through their arrangements?

Thanks!

We are arriving early into Hanoi before the start of our AMA trip. We are staying at the Sofitel Metropole, same hotel used by AMA, to avoid the need to change hotels. We're told that arranging transportation on our own between the airport and hotel is not very difficult nor expensive. As an alternative, you can arrange airport pickup by the Sofitel in advance. I can't recall if AMA can arrange an early airport transport - I suspect so, but it is best to contact AMA.

Bob

We just returned from this trip yesterday As soon as I get over my jet lag I plan on writing a full review, hopefully this weekend. There are so many questions and not alot of information but I hope that the review will answer many of them. If not, then I will be more than happy to answer specific questions and hope to have our traveling companions respond as well since they took the pre-trip 7 day tour of Vietnam with AMA. Get ready for a trip of a lifetime.

We just returned from this trip yesterday As soon as I get over my jet lag I plan on writing a full review, hopefully this weekend. There are so many questions and not alot of information but I hope that the review will answer many of them. If not, then I will be more than happy to answer specific questions and hope to have our traveling companions respond as well since they took the pre-trip 7 day tour of Vietnam with AMA. Get ready for a trip of a lifetime.

Just can't wait for your review, it will be our first Asia River cruise also

and will take advantage of all the info we can get.

Would love to know FLTRavelers air arrangements from Florida as we are hoping to book this trip for March 2012. Did you do your own flight arrangements? If so from where....or did AMA do them for you? Would love to know what you recommend.

Thank you!