Glacier Bay Cruiseline

Tennchick

Has anyone had experience with Glacier Bay Cruiseline. They are a smaller ship cruiseline that specializes in kayaking/hiking in the more remote areas of Alaska. We enjoy the a more active/outdoor adventure cruise than the big ships can offer. I found them through R.E.I. adventures. But I would like know of some personnal experiences anyone has had.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

My husband and I cruised with Glacier Bay Cruiseline in September of 2004 and had a marvelous time. We were on a 10 day re-positioning cruise from Juneau to Seattle that went to Glacier Bay NP, Misty Fijords, Wrangell, Ketchikan, through the Alaskan and Canadian inside passages, and Friday Harbor. Of the 3 cruises I have taken, it was by far my favorite. The last I checked, though, Glacier Bay had declared bankruptcy and was out of business. One of their ships, the Executive Explorer, is now with Cruise West, I believe.

Small ship cruising is the way to go in Alaska. You get up close to the wildlife, the itineraries are more flexible and the atmosphere is casual and fun. On our cruise, for example, we weren't scheduled to take time for kayaking or hiking. But, after several of the passengers requested it, they took us into and inlet and let us go out in the kayaks! (We didn't go hiking, however.) While onboard ship, we stopped to watch a mamma black bear with 3 cubs and a moose with her 2 babies. We watched the large ships just going from point to point, blowing past the wonders we had time to linger at. We met 3 couples from Australia and 1 couple from Northern Ireland that we keep in contact with to this day. I would take another small ship cruise in a heartbeat. They are more expensive, but worth it IMHO.

Glacier Bay is no longer cruising but try AdventureSmith Explorations. We have cruised with Glacier Bay years ago in Alaska aboard the Wilderness Adventurer. We then cruised with AdventureSmith to the Galapagos and Antarctica. We returned to Alaska with AdventureSmith aboard a 12 passenger yacht and loved it. We kayaked with whales and icebergs, hiked through the Tongass forest and cruised to Glacier Bay National Park. We are going to book our next cruise to Costa Rica with AdventureSmith.

• 8 months later...

Hello:

As the previous poster stated, Glacier Bay Cruiselines are no longer cruising.

I've been hearing rumors that they are around somewhat and this was confirmed last year when I went on a foo-foo up to Alaska.

One of the people in line had a Glacier Bay Cruiseline decal on and I asked him about it. He said that he went on it last year (2006).

I wasn't able to question him any further.

The last thing that I heard was that the ships were going down to New Orleans or thereabouts to be used for lodging.

Does anyone have any updated information?

In addition, the AdventureSmith Explorations has listed as one of their ships the M/V Wilderness Explorer.

This was one of the Glacier Bay Cruiseline's ships so I'm wondering if they are indeed still around.

Thanks.

Rogue

Archived