Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

editor@cruisecritic

Will you cruise after Ocean Village?

This last Ocean Village voyage -- totally sad and thanks for sharing your memories with us in our Ocean Village memory book -- still makes us wonder: How will you holiday now?

Our weekend home page poll (http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk -- then scroll all the way down) addresses this -- hope you'll come on over to the home page and vote. And discuss your choices here, too.

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

2011821397_Screenshot2010-11-06at4_27_46PM.jpg.c8b970e39155db1f11b07f9a0e76373a.jpg

You need an anything not carnival option!

I'm trying RCI and NCL in the next 7 months but avoiding carnivals P&O on the grounds of if my money wasn't good enough on a popular, highly rated brand then why should I continue with them!

I'm hoping I like Epics single studios to give me options for winter out of Miami!

You need an anything not carnival option!

I'm trying RCI and NCL in the next 7 months but avoiding carnivals P&O on the grounds of if my money wasn't good enough on a popular, highly rated brand then why should I continue with them!

I'm hoping I like Epics single studios to give me options for winter out of Miami!

Your not going to sail with Carnival b/c they shut down OV?:confused:

Your not going to sail with Carnival b/c they shut down OV?:confused:

Yes, because OV like P&O is a Carnival Brand. So it will hit them where it hurts on the balance sheet when loyal cruisers use other brands.

Not enough options in your poll for us to make a vote.

We have sailed with Princess and obviously liked them as we have booked with them again.

Hope to try NCL and possibly RCI in the future but it's a definite NO to P&O due to their mixed messages over on board dress code and Southampton starts for their European cruises as it's far easier for us to fly to somewhere warm in the med to join a ship than it is for us to get to Southampton.

Would not even consider Island escape or a Thompson ship, they are not in the same league as OV.

I like that Logo Sheeper !!!

reading the red writing above --15 years of enjoying Talking ship .... count me out .. I dont have a ship to go on now .. as I beleiee David and heather said Mixed messages with P & O over dress code --and what ship now offers INFORMAL !!!!!!!!!

Cruise addict -- speaking for my self --its not that they shut *our* ship down ..

we sailed on that ship because it was INFORMAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have no other line to make a choice from, so static holidays, and the cruise lines loose out .

Very very very reluctantly booked Ventura in jan .. but for our Sept holiday --I dont want to waste THREEE days sailing out of Southampton --and THREE days sailing back -- SIX days out of a two weeker NO THANKS ...........

so a static holiday for us -(

We are going with Princess in February, but after that think we'll be land-based for a while!

Sorry about the lack of options; poll format only gives us four! But glad y'all are discussing here.

By the way, by Carnival I meant Carnival Cruise Lines. It's got its new ship, Carnival Magic, based in Europe in the spring and summer and it's going to be marketing to Brits.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

Sorry about the lack of options; poll format only gives us four! But glad y'all are discussing here.

By the way, by Carnival I meant Carnival Cruise Lines. It's got its new ship, Carnival Magic, based in Europe in the spring and summer and it's going to be marketing to Brits.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

not a chance....magic....was ov.....u just dont listen carnival !!!

I have done my last cruise I'm afraid to say, it was great fun while it lasted but I don't do posh.

The OV format was just perfect, a different port every day except for the 1st day at sea, ships which were the perfect size, not too small but not too big either, smart but casual dining and most of all a great bunch of like minded fellow passengers.

I used to do coach trips and whilst there was a lot more hassle involved with having to pack and unpack every day it was still a great way to see lots of different places and meet people.

It looks like a return to coach trips for me in the future.

I like that Logo Sheeper !!!

reading the red writing above --15 years of enjoying Talking ship .... count me out .. I dont have a ship to go on now .. as I beleiee David and heather said Mixed messages with P & O over dress code --and what ship now offers INFORMAL !!!!!!!!!

Cruise addict -- speaking for my self --its not that they shut *our* ship down ..

we sailed on that ship because it was INFORMAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have no other line to make a choice from, so static holidays, and the cruise lines loose out .

Very very very reluctantly booked Ventura in jan .. but for our Sept holiday --I dont want to waste THREEE days sailing out of Southampton --and THREE days sailing back -- SIX days out of a two weeker NO THANKS ...........

so a static holiday for us -(

Like Gill, we are giving Ventura a try in December, hoping that some of the spirit that OV was famous for can be transferred to her. I fear she is too big to offer the personal touch.

We like to mix cruising with land -based, but would NEVER sail from Soton and spend all those days at sea.

Our only hope is that Carnival/P&O reintroduce informal cruising. Oceana looks the perfect vessel.

Like Gill, we are giving Ventura a try in December, hoping that some of the spirit that OV was famous for can be transferred to her. I fear she is too big to offer the personal touch.

We like to mix cruising with land -based, but would NEVER sail from Soton and spend all those days at sea.

Our only hope is that Carnival/P&O reintroduce informal cruising. Oceana looks the perfect vessel.

the more ex ov,ers use the likes of ventura the more like home she will be as we will all start recognising each other. Oceana/orianna would be perfect but dont fancy there itiniries, especially now azura/ventura will dominate and the other two have been shunted out to colder zones which are,nt for us, though will suit pax who dont like hot !

We tried Princess not really our cup of tea........ would only book again it the ports and price was right.

Would go on Costa Luminosa again just loved the ship, and the ports of call.

Trying Azamara next but it is a special holiday for birthday and aniversary, and going to Monaco Grand Prix, but couldnt afford them every holiday.

Thomsons are ok but value for money and age of ships it isnt a first choice.

I booked on the Dream ( I know , I know!). to get to the Western Carib. again, inc. Columbia & Cuba. The decision was based upon itinery, (almost) dress code & tips inc.. We seem to be paying more than a lot of other similar offerings to go on this older ship. There's not too many days at sea either.

I really didn't want to compare with O.V. but I have to say that so far I've not been impressed because,

• Payment required to use safe in cabin
  • Payment required to book a specific cabin
  • Payment maybe required to ensure that the two of us can sit together on the flights
  • No pax laundrette/ironing facilities
  • No hot drinks facilities in cabin
  • Cannot book trips with Thomson until on board ( I think this will be busier than the AA desk! All that queueing:rolleyes:)

It makes me realise how easy we had it with OV.

However, at least I can eat when I like and sit with whom I want.

Despite the list, I am going to enjoy it and following the ship's remedial/upgrading work it's received in dry dock I'm sure it will be fine.:):):)

ET

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

We were aware that Carnival are basing this ship in the med but they are an unknown quantity to us, not yet seen a single brochure in any of the TA's that we look in.

Maybe you could enlighten us regarding the on board feel of their ships?

I am also trying Ventura in January, if enough of us do go on this ship, we will eventually make it more like home, by home i mean OV!!!

Of course there is something on the net but not much of a presence elsewhere from what we can see.

Does not say much about the passenger demographic or what the dress code is although we understand that Carnival tend to be 'fun' ships, not sure if thats good or bad!

Too many unknowns for us to consider booking.

Nice looking modern ship though.

It is interesting that someone said that the Carnival Ship in Europe was marketing toward British guests.

In my experience Carnival is VERY American. (Even their logo is Red White and Blue) and I don't know how much they are ready to adapt to the British.

Thats the one to be based out of Barcelona? Not seen any UK facing publicity. RCI with Indy of the Seas have definitely tailored it towards the UK market with things like having a kettle in the staterooms.

Thats the one to be based out of Barcelona? Not seen any UK facing publicity. RCI with Indy of the Seas have definitely tailored it towards the UK market with things like having a kettle in the staterooms.

We were a bit concerned about the lack of brewing facilities before our cruise on Grand Princess but we soon discovered the complimentary room service and realised that the yanks do some things much better than the brits:)

We had three cruises with Ocean Village, 2 Med and 1 Carribean and enjoyed all three immensly,the food the staff and cabins were all first class,and it was with great sadness when we learned that they were being taken down to Oz,it has left a massive gap in the market.We are going on Jewel Of The Seas in June,our first time with RC,and hope that they can live up to Ocean Village.