January cruising

Browneyedhunni85

I agree with hot, I am taking this cruise next year and read that at one of the sites we are going to through Progresso that in November it is mid 90's. I vacationed once in Cancun in January, and it was in the mid 90's. LOL one of the hotel security asked me how I liked Cancun(I had just come in from Isla Mujeres, a whole 10 degrees cooler.) I said it was hot, he said, come back in July it's 110. I did, he was right. It will be hot, don't know what your shore excursions are, but bring a bathing suit!

We have sailed out of New Orleans on January 1st. I took normal summer clothes but took a jacket for evening in case it was cool on deck at night. I am so rarely outside at night that it wasn't an issue of being cold. (until we hit an ice storm driving home after Memphis)

I love January cruising -- 2011 will be my third (Western Carribean, Valor 1/16). Coincidentally, we were on the Elation out of San Diego in Jan 2009 (great ship, btw). San Diego is much cooler than the Carribean, so we were quite chilly -- sweatshirts, wind, etc. Too cold for the pool... Still totally awesome. No complaints from this Wisconsin family!!!

Jan 2010 was a 5-day on the Inspiration (Cozumel, Grand Cayman). PERFECT weather. 80s and lovely. The water was warm and beautiful in Cozumel.

Have a blast!!!!

My husband and I would only go in January because of school for a long time. 95% of the time it was warm warm warm! No need for anything but summer clothing. We did have one odd trip one year where there was an out of character cold spell in Miami and it was FREEZING. Needless to say I wasn't prepared for it. But by the time we were on our way to our destination it warmed up. Can't hurt to bring a jacket. I usually bring one now and a pair of jeans just in case. All in all though, it's my favorite time of year to cruise.

Expect for Cozumel and Progresso to be in mid 80's...at least it was this past year when we were there at that time. But ... and there is a but...you will need to take a jacket to wear on the first and last sea day. We did stay in the hot tub but we were the only ones lol. Lots of our friends walked around in pants and jackets on the first and last sea day.

We always sail in January or early February. The past couple of years Florida has been cold, but by the time we got down near Cozumel, it has been warm (80's). 2 years ago in Tampa, it was below freezing in the morning! :eek: Last year it was only in the mid 60's in Key West (they hit record cold temps that week). Both are not the norm for Florida.

Archived