Does Everybody Tip for Room Service?

PS90

I apologize if this is in the wrong category, because I have cruised three times before, but I have a "rookie" question.

And I might get flamed for it. But here goes:

Does everyone tip the waiter for room service on a normal basis? Seriously, I don't know.

I have never tipped the room service waiter in three cruises, because I had no clue that it was expected, and the waiter never acted like they expected one (although I am sure they are told not to "ask" for it). :o

So, I guess my question is - was I the only loser on those ships that didn't tip, or is it more of a discretionary thing - i.e. some people do and some people don't?

If anyone is willing, I would like "experience" answers, not "cruise critic" answers. In other words, if I never got onto this website, I still wouldn't know to tip them, so is that the same for other people? I don't want to know if you say you tip because others on CC think you should - I want to know if you tip or not because you think it is appropriate or not. ;)

Thanks very much for any input.

I always do, I learned it from here.. I really feel if I hadn't had all these boards to read I would have been clueless. The most I've tipped was the last cruise luncheon. Several sandwiches and a cheese plate. I tipped 5$. I really felt like that was a bargain.

BTW it was on Monarch of the Seas, and was the best sandwich I've ever had.. The room service menu is awsome.

The gentleman who delivered it, went out of his way to make sure we enjoyed it and it arrived hot. Love the Monarch!

Experience answer from an "American" culture viewpoint.

I always tip people who provide me a service whether I'm on vacation or a business trip.

Room service meal at a hotel? Tip the person who delivers the food (amount of tip depends on if there is an added "delivery charge" added to the bill)

Room service meal on a cruise ship? Tip to the person delivering the food

Housekeeping services at a hotel? I leave $3 - $5 a day on the nightstand for their services.

Housekeeping services on a cruise ship? Leave the standard autotip in place at a minimum.

When I travel outside of North America, I research to learn what is the norm for that region and culture. Japan? Tips are an insult. Europe? Tips are appreciated but at a much lower percentage (unless of course the "Service Fee" is all ready added to the bill)

Thanks a lot for the input, guys. Keep it coming.

I certainly plan to tip the waiters on my upcoming cruise on X, now that I know better. :D

I know that I won't be able to get this information from this website, but I still wonder how many people who don't know about cruise critic tip their waiters?

klfrodo,

I completely understand your point of view, but I think (for me at least) some confusion on tipping comes from the "semi-all-inclusive" concept of cruising.

For example, all-inclusive resorts (they are usually in the Caribbean and Mexico - but still operate on "American customs"), tipping is not expected at all.

So, since room service is free on a ship, I think people are unsure if a tip is expected or not. I know I was unsure...

Which again, leads me back to the question of how many people who don't talk to other cruisers DO or DO NOT tip their waiters. I guess we may never know for sure...:)

Tipping is always a preference and I prefer to tip for room service as well as for other special services I request on a ship. My feeling is that these people tend to drop everything to get us what we need and deserve a little appreciation.

I understand that some people do not tip, some due to custom or personal reasons, and by sharing that should not generate a lot of anger or by getting "flamed". Unlike the shoddy service in some restaurants, these people actually work extra hard for their tips as we used to 40 years ago before tipping was included on the checks. I can see how the average American could become jaded on the tipping issue becuase so many people now have their hands out for just doing their jobs.

Wow, I didn't realize I was getting on a soap box.:eek:

klfrodo,

I completely understand your point of view, but I think (for me at least) some confusion on tipping comes from the "semi-all-inclusive" concept of cruising.

For example, all-inclusive resorts (they are usually in the Caribbean and Mexico - but still operate on "American customs"), tipping is not expected at all.

QUOTE]

Even at all inclusives, I still tip albiet on the sly.

Housekeeping still receives my daily cash tip. Waiters, bartenders, grounds keepers, still receive some form of gratuity. Waiters, a sly hand shake exchange, bar tenders, I just accidently drop a buck or two now and then. Groundskeepers,,, I'll let them know I left a frosty clod beer behind a tree somewhere.

I didn't learn about tipping on websites. Websites weren't around back then. I learned by observing others. I learned during my upbringing by my parents. I learned by listening to others talk about their travels.

There is no such thing as no tipping zones. EVERYBODY who does something to ensure my travels and especially my families travels are special, will be rewarded in some form or fashion to show my appreciation.

Maybe it's because I grew up with NOTHING. Payday meant there was hotdog slices in the mac-n-chesse. Now that I'm in a position in life where I am blessed to be able to travel, I want to ensure that those hardworking individuals around me know that I appreciate there hardwork and services.

Thanks a lot for the input, guys. Keep it coming.

I certainly plan to tip the waiters on my upcoming cruise on X, now that I know better. :D

I know that I won't be able to get this information from this website, but I still wonder how many people who don't know about cruise critic tip their waiters?

I don't tip the waiters in the dining room or other food venues if I've paid tips in advance, or arranged to pay them at the end of the cruise. Many cruise lines (I don't know about X) have some sort of automatic tipping program established these days.

But like someone else said -- I've always tipped people delivering room service in a hotel...and so continue to do so on the cruise ship.

I supported myself as a chamber maid, waitress and bartender ... so I have always tipped for almost everything. I didn't learn that from CC --- just my life experience.

However, I'm North American and it is a part of our culture. It's not that way everywhere in the world.

Tipping is not required, but just something I enjoy doing. I know - I must be crazy - but they work hard, are not paid well and are so pleasant to deal with that I like throwing some cash their way.

OK...on RCI they have a surcharge for room service during certain periods of time...is that in place of a tip? Or do you tip on top of the surcharge, or do they add 15% like they do for drinks?

Most ships have an auto tip on beverages. Depending on the service I will round it up to the nearest dollar, or if the server is the bartender and they've made me an especially worthwhile drink then I'll put on a dollar or more. I don't usually add an additional tip to a bottle of wine. But if the server is surly or belligerent then I don't.

It didn't take cruise critic for me to know that one always tips for delivery of room service. I've always tipped for room service, be it on a ship or a hotel. It's just something that's a matter of course when you travel. Actually, in some hotels, they automatically add in a service charge, which is the tip. Cruise ships don't charge for room service, unless it's RCI and you order RS in the middle of the night, and then they add a charge.

As for those who may not, do you honestly think anyone here would admit they're cheapskates?

We cruise on Princess and I don't think room service is included on the daily auto tip hence I would tip room service.

We leave auto-tip on and then tip outstanding staff over and beyond

We stay in a lot of All Inclusives in Mexico and tip the staff there daily usually we tip about 300 pesos daily.....(housekeeper 30 pesos daily, buffet 20 pesos, lunch 30 pesos, beach sever 100 pesos, dinner 100 pesos, bartenders 20 pesos). Most AI's say tips are included but that is seldom enforced, most staff make about 70-100 pesos a day.

I know on Royal Caribbean that some of the room service waiters are dining room waiters working extra hours for minimal pay and the hope of gratuity. A true professional would not complain about not receiving an optional tip, but I think that cabin delivery is something that warrants even minimal compensation.

klfrodo,

QUOTE]

Even at all inclusives, I still tip albiet on the sly.

Housekeeping still receives my daily cash tip. Waiters, bartenders, grounds keepers, still receive some form of gratuity. Waiters, a sly hand shake exchange, bar tenders, I just accidently drop a buck or two now and then. Groundskeepers,,, I'll let them know I left a frosty clod beer behind a tree somewhere.

I didn't learn about tipping on websites. Websites weren't around back then. I learned by observing others. I learned during my upbringing by my parents. I learned by listening to others talk about their travels.

There is no such thing as no tipping zones. EVERYBODY who does something to ensure my travels and especially my families travels are special, will be rewarded in some form or fashion to show my appreciation.

Maybe it's because I grew up with NOTHING. Payday meant there was hotdog slices in the mac-n-chesse. Now that I'm in a position in life where I am blessed to be able to travel, I want to ensure that those hardworking individuals around me know that I appreciate there hardwork and services.

Well said, we should all be more understanding of the crew that work so hard to insure our vacation is as perfect as they can make it.

Hi,

We cruised Celebrity in the spring. I tried to tip room service but I didn't have any small bills and they never had any change so they obviously didn't expect a tip. I checked at guest services and they said room service is included in the tip pool.

Archived