Does Everybody Tip for Room Service?

PS90

I have never tipped for cabin service.

But the only ship I have actually had cabin service aboard was QE2. And that was always brought by one's own steward/night steward. And I tipped them all at the end of the trip for general service - assuming that the service warranted it.

There. That's a yes and a no all in one!

WD

OK...on RCI they have a surcharge for room service during certain periods of time...is that in place of a tip? Or do you tip on top of the surcharge, or do they add 15% like they do for drinks?

RCI charges $3.95 for room service between midnight and 5 am. The charge does include the tip.

Thanks a lot to everyone for their opinions and experience. And thanks to PokerStar and William Dean for having the guts to say that you haven't tipped before. This is just a completely uneducated guess, but I suspect that the percentage of people who don't tip their room service waiter is MUCH higher amongst people who cruise only very rarely and/or don't understand the nuances of cruising (aka people who have also never heard of Cruise Critic).

Just my own opinion, but I don't think cruise and hotel room service gratuity etiquette are directly comparable in this situation. For example, I have never, and will never, order the overpriced, and usually mediocre, room service at most hotels, when 90% of the time, I can run across the street and buy a pizza for much cheaper.

And, judging by the posts above, it seems there is some disagreement as to whether the room service waiters get a share of the tip pool or not.

Having said that, I thank everyone again. I will probably not be giving a $5 tip to a waiter for dropping off room service, considering that your MDR waiter's "standard" tip is only $3.65 per day, for doing A LOT more. But I will definitely, however, give my room service waiter a buck or two for his effort.

Thanks!

Before someone on here makes assumptions that we do not tip yes we do leave the auto tip on and make discretionary small tips for room service and to recognise exceptional service.

However I do feel that many on here over state how much they tip, we could not afford to tip so highly, some cruisers are very rich and can afford to tip highly but it is not expected and nobody should feel pressurised to tip more than the minimum / auto tip or make a decision not to cruise due to a perceived requirement to tip highly.

How much you tip or even to tip at all) is your decision, only your personal finances and concience should be the deciding factor - dont let the pro or anti tipping posters on here make the decision for you.

Before someone on here makes assumptions that we do not tip yes we do leave the auto tip on and make discretionary small tips for room service and to recognise exceptional service.

However I do feel that many on here over state how much they tip, we could not afford to tip so highly, some cruisers are very rich and can afford to tip highly but it is not expected and nobody should feel pressurised to tip more than the minimum / auto tip or make a decision not to cruise due to a perceived requirement to tip highly.

How much you tip or even to tip at all) is your decision, only your personal finances and concience should be the deciding factor - dont let the pro or anti tipping posters on here make the decision for you.

Very well said. I agree completely. :cool:

We always tip for room service. My Grandson and nephew shared an inside cabin across from us on the last cruise and we set up a "tip jar" for them as soon as we got to the cabins. They love room service around 10 at night for pizza and cookies. They tip the waiters and the waiters were very appreciative and even mentioned (unsolicited) to us what nice, respectful and young men they were. It made them feel quite grown-up to tip. They've seen how hard these folks work. My Grandson is taking a friend (they'll both be 17) on our next cruise and I heard him explaining room service to his friend, including tipping.

I always have and always will tip for room service.

I'm sure others don't.

I am not one to say who is right or who is wrong, I just know that I tip them.

Plus they usually bring it into the room, set it all down, and have always been so friendly....

sure as hell beats walking to the buffet to bring food back (I did on my last cruise for my mum, her neck was bothering her a lot) that plate got heavy half way back to the room... :D:p

Hi, Paul929207 Do you give 2 $ per person per meal or 2$ total ? And for the bartender how much do we have to give for a drink ? Sorry I am a newbie cruising next week.

Most lines include a 15% tip when you sign for your drinks that goes to the bartender, If you choose to tip above that it's up to you.

Most lines include a 15% tip when you sign for your drinks that goes to the bartender, If you choose to tip above that it's up to you.

You are expected to pay the auto tip, there is absolutely no requirement to tip above that unless you choose to do so.

Some even choose to remove the auto tip but whilst you can do so it is not very fair on the ships workers.

The bar staff do just fine with their extra 15%.

My advice would be to leave the auto tip on, only tip extra for exceptional service and fill in an exceptional service received card as that also lets the member of staff's manager know, this is valuable to the member of staff concerned as it helps him / her when it comes to promotion or renewal of contract.

I always carry extra ones specifically for tipping for room service. I also tip the cabin steward and servers in the dining room extra if I feel the service warrants it. I've found if I leave a note for the room steward thanking him or her for their work in advance with a little $$ in it at the beginning of the cruise, I find I always have ice, extra towels, etc. throughout my cruise.

And, no I didn't get this from the CC boards. I was brought up to recognize good service appropriately.

I find this whole area of tipping rather tricky. Please don't think I am mean. I am very willing to acknowledge service with an extra payment but I find myself wondering how patronising I am being if I give a small tip, and I worry about insulting people. I am from the UK and maybe it's just me but I am often very embarrassed when tipping is the custom. I always tip 10% or more (the UK norm) in UK restaurants, because that's straightforward and can be done in a not quite face to face manner, but the whole thing of giving someone what is after all a small amount of money and maybe them feeling that I am expecting them to be grateful I find worrying. Am I alone in feeling strange distributing money in this way? I don't begrudge them the money at all, I just feel weird, like I'm saying you don't have much and I do so have this -it just seems a bit rude to me. I would be delighted if the autotip were raised to a level where no personal tipping was required, not to be mean but to remove this embarrassment. I am just planning our first cruise, and this is one area that I am not looking forward to, having read a lot of posts about tipping on here and seeing the strong feelings it evokes.

I find this whole area of tipping rather tricky. Please don't think I am mean. I am very willing to acknowledge service with an extra payment but I find myself wondering how patronising I am being if I give a small tip, and I worry about insulting people. I am from the UK and maybe it's just me but I am often very embarrassed when tipping is the custom. I always tip 10% or more (the UK norm) in UK restaurants, because that's straightforward and can be done in a not quite face to face manner, but the whole thing of giving someone what is after all a small amount of money and maybe them feeling that I am expecting them to be grateful I find worrying. Am I alone in feeling strange distributing money in this way? I don't begrudge them the money at all, I just feel weird, like I'm saying you don't have much and I do so have this -it just seems a bit rude to me. I would be delighted if the autotip were raised to a level where no personal tipping was required, not to be mean but to remove this embarrassment. I am just planning our first cruise, and this is one area that I am not looking forward to, having read a lot of posts about tipping on here and seeing the strong feelings it evokes.

I think your post sums up just how akward many of us from the UK feel about tipping. It is a cultural thing and on the rare occasion I have been offered a tip at work I have declined it and suggested the person gave the money to a charity instead. I find the concept personally insulting as I receive a decent wage to do my job, I am sure this is the reason why I feel akward about tipping in general.

Please dont think that I am trying to flame this thread but I do urge those from the US to consider the other perspective.

I think your post sums up just how akward many of us from the UK feel about tipping.

Phew, not just me then. I suppose the thing to remember is that if the people getting the tips are located in a culture where it is expected and usual, then they won't feel as weird about it and possibly offended as I fear. It works both ways I guess.

When we do eventually get on a cruise I shall try not to worry too much about it and fit into the norm.

You are expected to pay the auto tip, there is absolutely no requirement to tip above that unless you choose to do so.

Some even choose to remove the auto tip but whilst you can do so it is not very fair on the ships workers.

The bar staff do just fine with their extra 15%.

My advice would be to leave the auto tip on, only tip extra for exceptional service and fill in an exceptional service received card as that also lets the member of staff's manager know, this is valuable to the member of staff concerned as it helps him / her when it comes to promotion or renewal of contract.

What cruise line allows you to remove the 15% auto tip? :confused:

I think your post sums up just how akward many of us from the UK feel about tipping.

Phew, not just me then. I suppose the thing to remember is that if the people getting the tips are located in a culture where it is expected and usual, then they won't feel as weird about it and possibly offended as I fear. It works both ways I guess.

When we do eventually get on a cruise I shall try not to worry too much about it and fit into the norm.

Just leave the auto tip on, relax and enjoy your cruise.

Your point is very valid and understood.

Being from the States, I felt exactly the same way you do when I visited Japan. Japan is a culture where tipping is insulting to the individual receiving the tip. I felt horrible that this person went so far above and beyond to help me and I was unable to show my appreciation with a small gesture other than "Thank You".

That proves it's cultural. I had to get over myself and move on. Deal with it culturally rather than personally.

Tipping can be very tricky, which is why there is a zillion threads on the subject. As far as on the cruise goes, I tip the recommended amounts and leave it at that. If someone really goes above (like if I were to get violently ill and extra mess to clean up) I'd leave extra for that and mention it on the comment card. Otherwise, I figure the autotips or whatever are calculated to get everyone covered.

Archived