Does Everybody Tip for Room Service?

PS90

My husband and I are going on our first cruise the end of February and we were charged for our gratuities up front, except for any beverages, they will be charged to our on board account along with a 15% gratuity. I'm confused...is it expected that we tip over and above our prepaid gratuities???

Thanks for any and all advice:-)

Colleen

Expected? No

However, unless you're "paying" a surcharge for room service delivery, then an additional gratuity would be the "norm", since those people are not part of the "pre-paid gratuity"

My husband and I are going on our first cruise the end of February and we were charged for our gratuities up front, except for any beverages, they will be charged to our on board account along with a 15% gratuity. I'm confused...is it expected that we tip over and above our prepaid gratuities???

Thanks for any and all advice:-)

Colleen

No, it is not expected that you add more when you get a bar bill. It is easy to forget that and a lot of people forget and add a tip. I've done it in the past before I realized. Room service however comes to your room and there is no bill so $1 to $5 depending upon what you got is normal.

The first time we ordered room service it was brought when we werent in the room. So there was never a chance to leave a tip although we could have left it out I honestly did not think about it.

The second time we ordered in the morning it came so early I was bearly awake and did not think of it until a few hours later. We should have tipped but didn't.

Thanks for the info! I'll be sure to have some some small bills set aside for room service:-) I wasn't aware that room service staff didn't receive a percentage of the automatic gratuity.

I was in the same boat as you at the beginning of this thread. I had no clue about room service tips. CC has turned into a valuable resource in my case.

Thanks to everyone for contributing. :)

I was in the same boat as you at the beginning of this thread. I had no clue about room service tips. CC has turned into a valuable resource in my case.

Thanks to everyone for contributing. :)

It's not a boat, it's a ship...hahaha. Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

The first time we ordered room service it was brought when we werent in the room. So there was never a chance to leave a tip although we could have left it out I honestly did not think about it.

The second time we ordered in the morning it came so early I was bearly awake and did not think of it until a few hours later. We should have tipped but didn't.

Your last comment reminded me of something I did on our recent cruise, but had forgotten about. Each night before we went to bed, I paper clipped a tip to my S&S card which was on a lanyard and hung it on the door handle. That way, when room service came with our morning coffee, I had the tip right there ready to hand them as I reached to open the door. (I'm sometimes forgetful in the AM as well)

Archived