Not a fan of NCL

HappyHappy1

Surely you can understand how the cruise line would want a responsible adult associated with every room. For liability purposes, they want an adult, of age who can be held responsible for damages or for someone causing a problem. This policy isn't unique to NCL. I've cruised Carnival many times and dealt with the same policy. Maybe you got away without them noticing. The cruise line doesn't really care how the sleeping arrangments work, you can flip flop who's in what room pretty easily without making it official thru the cruise line.

I agree with you on the very poor quality of NCL food and that Carnival has a huge lead in that area. NCL has lots of work to do on food and management in the dining rooms. The extremely slow service, when it takes 2 plus hours to eat a meal (without dessert) is completely unacceptable and needs immediate attention. It's been a problem ever since NCL went to Freestyle. They just can't manage getting everyone thru the dining room. I completely agree with you on that one.

I don't remember the TV's on Carnival being any bigger. I don't remember the size of the rooms on Carnival being any bigger either. I do remember that Carnival packs more people on a ship relative to the available space. I also remember on Carnival, they may have had more TV channel selection but the same 5 shows played over and over and over all week long. Including on the big outside TV. Same movies over and over.

As far as kids go. During non-peak school holiday weeks you will get a few weeks on NCL where there are very few kids. This never happens on Carnival. That's a personal preference. I've been on a few Carnival cruises that are absolutely over-run with kids......Almost approaching a Disney cruise!! I have kids myself who would like to make a new friend or two on their cruise but if I had to choose between a week on NCL that had very few kids or a week on Carnival that was absolutely a Kid crazy mess I would choose NCL.

I agree with you. I am a Native Californian (born in Burbank) and I had Cal-Tex (Olivera Street tacos in LA) until I was twelve and moved to Texas and got introduced to Tex-Mex. On NCL I found the rice, beans, chips, salsa (I hate Pace Picante) and guacamole were all weak. But Il Popo was good, so was the Tortillas Soup. In fact it reminded me of Dean Fearing's from the Mansion on Turtle Creek in Dallas, which is pretty famous nationally. (He also INVENTED the lobster taco.)

Also, I loved the berry dessert and my mother loved the other one, it was chocolate I think. The Il Popo was VERY good. It was like Fajitas, just hanging on a little rack. We had it on both the Jewel and the Dawn. We just made meals of that, the soup and the dessert... oh and quesadillas I think too. Obviously they weren't as memorable... but Quesadillas are pretty standard.

One time I ordered enclilads with red sauce in Mexico on vacation and they actually served me enchiladas with marinara sauce on top. Now that was pretty awful! Haha.

to funny about the sause. My cousin and I stopped at an open air Mexican restaurant right at the pier in Cabo a few years ago. It was very large, of course had inside as well as patio dining. We order guacamole and a couple of drinks. First it was really pricey and them they brought the guacamole and it wasn't even made with avacodos. It was that prepared stuff. So much for Mexican food in Mexico.

Nita

Since I am an old fogey, the idea of teenagers alone in the cabin next to mine gives me nightmares. Next door to the parents? OK. But not on some other part of the ship. I guess what is bothering me is that NCL (or any other cruise line) knows that this is going to happen by allowing the obvious booking of one parent/one teenager per cabin and then facilitates the move by changing the key cards.

I think that generally the teens are next to, or across the hall from, the parents...at least in the general area, not on separate parts of the ship. When the people book they book two nearby cabins, book one adult in each, then split up when they board.

I am not sure where you are getting the idea us cheerleaders as you like to call us are giving the OP a rough time? Yes, when someone starts out by saying the food was disgusting it is going to signal a red flag for many.

As for what she said that was doubtful; 1- the Jumbo shrimp comment, most of us have discussed this before, the MDR doesn't offer jumbo shrimp cocktails and the information about 2 kids in a cabin. Most of us know all lines follow this policy, she is indicating Carnival did allow her to book the boys in a seaparate cabn, this is not allowed.

Most of us have stated NCL isn't the right line for her. Food is subjective, that is fine, she didn't like the buffet, most people rave about NCLs buffets but again. this doesn't mean it is to everyone's liking.

We all have a right to our opinions. You are not a fan of NCLs and take every opportunity to let us know. That is your choice, but some of us are fans and we are going to correct misgivings. This is how new CC readers can learn about the various lines.

Nita

Thanks, Miss Nita for helping me make my point.

We've had 3 NCL cruises, on 3 different ships now, but never had to wait 2 hours in the MDR in order to finish our diner,

Maybe we had lucky cruizes ;)

One day the food was good, the other day it was just ok, but in all times good to eat,

We do love the speciality restaurants, good for a lovely dinner night out.

Personally I would not call food disgusting at any time,

No cruiseline is serving disgusting food, they could not exist if they did!

It's always nice to read how tastes differ, and reading different opinions gives a little bit of an insight to people too, we are not all alike!

I'm glad DH does not post on CC ;) you can call him a real cheerleader.

I did cruise other lines before (Princess, RCL and HAL), he didn't, and the only "choice" we have now is NCL, he completely hooked on it, and it will take a lot of effort if I ever want to switch to another line (which I think could work out just fine)

We've had 3 NCL cruises, on 3 different ships now, but never had to wait 2 hours in the MDR in order to finish our diner,

Maybe we had lucky cruizes ;)

One day the food was good, the other day it was just ok, but in all times good to eat,

We do love the speciality restaurants, good for a lovely dinner night out.

Personally I would not call food disgusting at any time,

No cruiseline is serving disgusting food, they could not exist if they did!

It's always nice to read how tastes differ, and reading different opinions gives a little bit of an insight to people too, we are not all alike!

I'm glad DH does not post on CC ;) you can call him a real cheerleader.

I did cruise other lines before (Princess, RCL and HAL), he didn't, and the only "choice" we have now is NCL, he completely hooked on it, and it will take a lot of effort if I ever want to switch to another line (which I think could work out just fine)

Actually we did once last spring, or maybe about that long> It was horrible, but I don't judge an entire vacation experience on one or two incidents. Anyone who does needs to get a life.

Actually we did once last spring, or maybe about that long> It was horrible, but I don't judge an entire vacation experience on one or two incidents. Anyone who does needs to get a life.

Agreed!

Just for being together with my husband and travelling is giving me a good time, we have fun anyway.

I once had 'horrible' food in Goa (catholic part where they eat meats), India,

Sorpatel Curry, made from pig, and pig intestines (and I mean all intestines)

The locals where munching in heaven, and being an adventurous eater, I thought I might like it.

I will never forget the overly strong bitter taste, and heavy smell... ahh... disgusting! But hey, whom am I to say, thousands of people love it!

Note: Two people under the age of 21 may travel together in the same stateroom without someone over the age of 21 in the same stateroom if they purchased the cruise under the family plan and have at least one person who is 21 years or older in the adjoining stateroom. The age limit will be waived for married couples less than 21 years of age provided proof of marriage is presented to an NCL representative at the pier.

I just read this on the Faq Q&A page.

1. The decor is not "plain", but ANY stretch of the imagination. The OP might not have liked it, but it's certainly far from 'plain'. That is a fact.

2. The staterooms are larger than a walk-in closet. Fact.

3. Staterooms are not 9' x 11' (which is 99 sq ft). They are 161 sq ft, or 62.6% larger than claimed.

4. I agree that Fox News is a joke, but MSNBC? No, the BBC at least is relatively serious.;)

5. The jumbo TV is the atrium is not used "mostly" for jewellery sales. Between Wii, and Movies, and nature photos, and art sales, the jewellery sales occupy at most, less than "most" of the time.

These are all factually incorrect claims in the OP's post.

havent finished the thread....but I LOVE this post!!! and I am no cheerleader trust me!!! Just a realist!.... I am on the Pearl in two days and will gladly post my findings once I get there...

I think that generally the teens are next to, or across the hall from, the parents...at least in the general area, not on separate parts of the ship. When the people book they book two nearby cabins, book one adult in each, then split up when they board.

as a parent of 4 teens...correct! I think she has much less to worry about from my teens than from other passengers....I have NEVER had a complaint about my children. They are usually next to me (the girls) and across from me (the boys)..I have keys to their rooms and they KNOW how to behave!

As for what she said that was doubtful; 1- the Jumbo shrimp comment, most of us have discussed this before, the MDR doesn't offer jumbo shrimp cocktails and the information about 2 kids in a cabin. Most of us know all lines follow this policy, she is indicating Carnival did allow her to book the boys in a seaparate cabn, this is not allowed.

Nita

NCL had shrimp and yukon gold potatos as an appetizer. They are putting out a new menu on the Pearl, Epic, and one or two other ships. We had a CC meet and greet the first day at sea and the restaurant manager made it a point to let us know that they had a new menue starting this cruise for a select few ships which would eventually be on all the ships...sorry I don't remember the time line on when the change would occur.

1. The decor is not "plain", but ANY stretch of the imagination. The OP might not have liked it, but it's certainly far from 'plain'. That is a fact.

3. Staterooms are not 9' x 11' (which is 99 sq ft). They are 161 sq ft, or 62.6% larger than claimed.

4. I agree that Fox News is a joke, but MSNBC? No, the BBC at least is relatively serious.;)

5. The jumbo TV is the atrium is not used "mostly" for jewellery sales. Between Wii, and Movies, and nature photos, and art sales, the jewellery sales occupy at most, less than "most" of the time.

Good Evening SJBTZ,

The OP is discussing the "Pearl", correct? Your histrory shows you have never been on the "Pearl", correct?. Your comment based on FACT is based on photographs I suspect?.

Again... as you have not been on the Pearl according to your history, how do you support your claim #5?

Thanks...

Good Evening SJBTZ,

The OP is discussing the "Pearl", correct? Your histrory shows you have never been on the "Pearl", correct?. Your comment based on FACT is based on photographs I suspect?.

Again... as you have not been on the Pearl according to your history, how do you support your claim #5?

Thanks...

Your history shows you've never been on the EPIC, and especially not in 16029...yet you've posted hundreds of claims regarding the ship.

How do you support them?

Through photographs? Through reports from other people?

If it's good enough for you (to do that) then it's good enough for me.

Since your challenge was to find ANY factual errors in the OP, and since you only challenged #5, I'm assuming I win....that #1 - 4 are conceeded?

:rolleyes:

I am always amused how the Cheerleaders are soooo quick to challenge anyone who has a different or unfavorable reveiw and post their comments.

By posting your Cheerleader objections, you keep moving the thread to the top of the list which is probably what the OP desired.

I especially love the poster who said "thats when I stop reading...". Come on, if you really stopped reading, I bet you would have not bothered posting.

I for one really like reading the different reviews. It would become very boring and lack of information we would recieve if everyone only posted good reviews.

Maybe the Cheerleaders would be best advised to simple sit quietly and let us (yea me) that tend to be negative have our say as I would suggest we do with the cheerleaders. The other choice is to continue to post why the OP is wrong and keep thier topic alive.

Cheers!

I'm no cheerleader for any cruise line, but you're really suggesting that those you deem cheerleaders should "sit quietly" while you and those who agree with you have your say? And you're saying that when a "cheerleader" posts something positive, those like you who disagree should not respond? I don't like that idea at all. Someone posts a negative review, members get to give their own opinions (good or bad) and correct any obviously false information. The reverse is that someone posts a positive review and members get to post their own opinions (good or bad) and dispute things they believe to be incorrect. BTW, how exactly do you define "cheerleader"? I get the feeling that to you it is anyone who has anything positive to say about NCL, but I could certainly be wrong.

beachchick

I wanted to get my card coded to work on both cabins, but they can't do that. They're happy to give out extra cards, but I haven't tried to code them differently than is on the booking. It's all fine for us as we're in adjoining cabins next week, but it would be super convenient if they could figure out a way to get one card to open two cabins. Sounded more policy than technology preventing it.

Since I am an old fogey, the idea of teenagers alone in the cabin next to mine gives me nightmares. Next door to the parents? OK. But not on some other part of the ship. I guess what is bothering me is that NCL (or any other cruise line) knows that this is going to happen by allowing the obvious booking of one parent/one teenager per cabin and then facilitates the move by changing the key cards.

Gatosfam - Oh AN EXTRA KEY CARD for teens' cabin is PERFECT just in case adjoining door gets closed and we want to enter their cabin...

Gooch - I agree - I surely couldn't have them on another part of the ship!! THANKS!

Good Evening SJBTZ,

Thanks...

I can attest to #5. And you will notice I gave been on the Pearl.

PE

BINGO! I live in Dallas and I find most Tex-Mex restaurants outside of my state to be inferior. The Tex Mex on NCL was actually pretty good, all things considered. And my mom loves Il Popo!

After being born in Texas, raised in Texas, and then living in 5 other states besides Texas in the past 30 years, I completely agree with you about the food. My hubby and I are just amazed that people put spaghetti sauce on an enchilada and call it Mexican food. too too funny!!!

NCL had shrimp and yukon gold potatos as an appetizer. They are putting out a new menu on the Pearl, Epic, and one or two other ships. We had a CC meet and greet the first day at sea and the restaurant manager made it a point to let us know that they had a new menue starting this cruise for a select few ships which would eventually be on all the ships...sorry I don't remember the time line on when the change would occur.

I am not questioning the shrimp and yukon appetizer, I am questioning your wording of Jumbo shrimp?

NIta

Your history shows you've never been on the EPIC, and especially not in 16029...yet you've posted hundreds of claims regarding the ship.

How do you support them?

Since your challenge was to find ANY factual errors in the OP, and since you only challenged #5, I'm assuming I win....that #1 - 4 are conceeded?

well I will stick up for you on this one: I have been on the Pearl and the large screen TV (almost like a movie theatre) had some great entertainment on it. We saw very little of what the OP saw...

The TVs in the cabins are small: at least they are flat screen I would add. Again, for some TVs are important, for us, they are just something to flip on now and then. We don't go on vacation to watch TV.

How do you support them?

good one!

We did the NCL Spirit last year on a Canada/NE cruise. We did B2B so we had 2 weeks on the ship. Loved the itinerary, loved the ship, loved my balcony cabin, loved the crew and service, liked the entertainment just fine, but absolutely hated the food. Breakfast was just fine, but dinner and lunch in either the dining room or the buffet was just not to our liking at all. I think I lost weight on that cruise. I don't think that I should have to go to an extra cost restaurant to find something to eat.

I am not faithful to any particular cruise line, so I would try NCL again just to make sure it wasn't just the ship's food itself. Perhaps some of the other ships might have better lunches or dinners. Did like the pretzel rolls though, they were excellent along with breakfast.

I find it very interesting that people get up in arms berating someone who says that they are "smuggling" alcohol on board because it's against the cruiseline's rules / policy but then go ahead and criticize the OP because she didn't lie in order to circumvent NCL rules / policy

regarding children having their own cabin. I think the rules regarding the children are far more serious that someone hiding a bottle of rum in their carryon.

It really is strange how people differ...I guess that's why it's important to check several reviews.

I've been on the Dawn twice and the Triumph once. I liked the bathroom design of the Carnival cabin much better. But I thought the food on the Dawn was vastly superior (mostly mdr & specialty restaurants), the layout of the ship was far better and the entertainment was in a completely different class. It took much longer for dinner on the Carnival ship, because the poor waiters had to keep running off to sing and dance. (I really hated that, both the crick in my neck from trying to watch politely and the disruption...hey, I'm eating over here, Cuban Pete!) I'm sure our TV was exactly the same size. Our Carnival cabin may have been larger, but it was laid out differently and very inconveniently, so it felt smaller.

NCL and Carnival are about equal in price point, so it's natural to compare the two. For my money, and based on my limited experience, it's NCL over Carnival.

It is really a shame that you didn't come here and learn how to circumvent the rules like everyone else has. Just remember in the future that rules are for suckers. But I happen to agree with you. The rooms are ridiculous for four people. We had the trundle bed and what a joke.

1) To the OP its is plain.That is what the OP said. The OP didn't say others thought it was plain. If the OP thinks its plain then it is plain to the OP which is what the OP said.- You lose that point

2)Wrong again. I personally have a 185 square foot walk in closet, so my walk in closet is bigger than the stateroom the op stayed in.-You lose again

3)The OP was making a point and you took it to literally. - Tie

4)Fox News is the #1 news channel in the usa beating CNN and MSNBC combined and beating CBS,NBC and ABC on election night.-You Lose big on this one.

5)Jewelry Sales did take up most of the time on the OP's trip. FACT. -You lose again

Nice try;)

Archived