Looking for cheap snorkling and FOOD

ohio cowgirl

I want to snorkle. DH doesn't swim. He wants to EAT good authentic Mexican food. I Just want to see fishies. LOL Please HELP! This is the cruise WITHOUT the kiddies and we want to accomplish just these two things. I really dont want to pay bunches for snorkling. I am bringing my own gear.

Thanks in advance...:):D

We will be there Dec. 4

I'd like to know about this also. We're going with a group of 3 couples, no kids. A few snorkel, some don't. We were wondering if there is a beach or somewhere we can taxi to and just hang out for the day, snorkeling if we want, etc. We have our own gear too!

I'd like to know about this also. We're going with a group of 3 couples, no kids. A few snorkel, some don't. We were wondering if there is a beach or somewhere we can taxi to and just hang out for the day, snorkeling if we want, etc. We have our own gear too!

in a few weeks I will be going to La Palapita,, next to Papa Hog's dive shop.. close to town... there is no charge and there is snorkeling from the beach.. they have a bar and you can order food which they get from the restaurant at the hotel across the street.. .. figure we'll snorkel, then grab a taxi into town or walk from there into town..

Try Playa Corona - I loved snorkeling there. They do serve food, although I'm not sure what the food is like since we just ordered bottled water. What other people had looked pretty good though. There is no charge for snorkeling if you eat/drink.

I've never been to the Money Bar, but there is supposed to be good snorkleing there also and they also serve food.

Hope that helps. :)

Just back from snorkeling at the Money Bar and we had a great time. Plenty of fish, very good facilities and its free.:) Cab fare was just $8.00 from the Carnival pier. After snorkeling we had some drinks and the guacamole was fantastic.:)

Do you have a link to a website for this area? Thanks!

• 4 months later...

thanks for posting the link-- we tried Panchos last time--long way to get there.We thought it was a big store with high prices & tourist trap-- we did not stay for lunch....will probabaly try la Choza next time or this beach Club!!

We taxied to Playa palancar Beach & took a boat to Palancar Reef was $20. Came back & lounged on Palancar Beach at a beach club. Great inexpensive food & drinks. I'm going back to Coz in less than a week but doing a bar hop bus. Hope I don't regret not going back to Palancar. It was awesome!

Ok, let's take cheap snorkeling down to what it is...and it applies also to cheap Mexican food I guess. The cheapest way to snorkel is to take your own gear and just snorkel at the places mentioned, la Palapita or the Moneybar...that is 3rd class snorkeling, just what the word cheap means. Look at it this way, get a cheap car and a cheap meal, this is what you will find. You can get a cheap boat snorkel tour in Cozumel, 10 people in a 5 people capacity boat, no life jackets, half English half Spanish speaking guide, snorkel gear just used by another person...no problem, you will get it "cheap" (don't ask about insurance, they probably don't even know about this). If you already visit another place, you may want to spend $5 extra for your safety and to have a great experience. By the way, you can have very cheap tacos in Mexico but I am not sure your stomach will appreciate your savings...

Ok, let's take cheap snorkeling down to what it is...and it applies also to cheap Mexican food I guess. The cheapest way to snorkel is to take your own gear and just snorkel at the places mentioned, la Palapita or the Moneybar...that is 3rd class snorkeling, just what the word cheap means. Look at it this way, get a cheap car and a cheap meal, this is what you will find. You can get a cheap boat snorkel tour in Cozumel, 10 people in a 5 people capacity boat, no life jackets, half English half Spanish speaking guide, snorkel gear just used by another person...no problem, you will get it "cheap" (don't ask about insurance, they probably don't even know about this). If you already visit another place, you may want to spend $5 extra for your safety and to have a great experience. By the way, you can have very cheap tacos in Mexico but I am not sure your stomach will appreciate your savings...

More than "fewer" excellent points made! :rolleyes:

Playa Uvas is a quaint little resort. Not fancy but had nice shore snorkeling and great drinks at the bar. Did not eat there so can't tell you anything about the food. Price was very reasonable. I think we paid $35 for the snorkel and bar pkg.

We taxied to Playa palancar Beach & took a boat to Palancar Reef was $20. Came back & lounged on Palancar Beach at a beach club. Great inexpensive food & drinks. I'm going back to Coz in less than a week but doing a bar hop bus. Hope I don't regret not going back to Palancar. It was awesome!

Totally agree, have been twice, the grounds are like being in paradise and the food yummy!

Went to Palancar and snorkeled from shore -- excellent. Also did the Bar hop -- nice scenery but food and snorkeling isn't as good. Can't snorkel and went swimming at one beach but not as nice. Beach wasn't well maintained and no peacocks :).

We tried snorkeling at the Money Bar last week. The current was very strong and it was nearly impossible to swim back once we drifted away. Our cab driver told us there was often a strong current there.

We saw several boats further out at the reef, and the snorkelers were drifting along out there too.

The food and drink was a little more expensive there too. We more enjoyed our authentic food we found in the craft market and a couple blocks into town off the malecon.

Money Bar is much better for snorkling than Playa Uvas. If you are a good swimmer you can see tons of fish and a decent amount of coral about 100-150 yards out. You will see hundreds of people on boats dropped there as well. Watch out for the boats because they will not watch for you.

I have been to several beaches and all of them can have bad currents, well at least the ones with good snorkling.

Money Bar food is OK. For $32 we ate and drank all day. The place is very nice and clean. Last time I did get stung several times, once bad by jellyfish. This is also hit or miss everywhere. They do have vinegar available at the rental shack.

• 3 weeks later...
I want to snorkle. DH doesn't swim. He wants to EAT good authentic Mexican food. I Just want to see fishies. LOL Please HELP! This is the cruise WITHOUT the kiddies and we want to accomplish just these two things. I really dont want to pay bunches for snorkling. I am bringing my own gear.

Thanks in advance...:):D

We will be there Dec. 4

Just wondering what part of Ohio are you from? I'm from Ohio too. :)

Money Bar food is OK. For $32 we ate and drank all day. The place is very nice and clean. Last time I did get stung several times, once bad by jellyfish. This is also hit or miss everywhere. They do have vinegar available at the rental shack.

Do you care to share what all you got for $32? Was that for 2 people and a certain amount of food? Or just everything that you bought all day came up to that amount?

Archived