My detailed Alaska trip report

CruisingGoddess

You have her camera? You stole it from her??? :eek: jk

If she stole my camera, she is out of luck. I just got back from a Hawaii cruise yesterday and dropped the camera on concrete while in Maui on the 2nd day of our cruise!! :( It would no longer focus so we immediately headed to Costco and winded up getting the latest model of the same camera.

Your review is fabulous and has been so helpful to me. We finally booked a trip for next year...we were going to do exactly what you did - but are doing something a bit different!

anyway - thank you so much for taking the time to share your review and photos!

We used 2 cameras on this trip: Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1, which we bought for this cruise because it has 12x optical zoom, and the Canon PowerShot SD790 IS. We definitely prefer the Lumix over the PowerShot because of the zoom. I highly recommend you bring the camera with the most optical zoom to Alaska because often the things you'll be taking photos of (glaciers, wildlife, etc.) will be far away. We're really happy with the Lumix because it has such a high optical zoom but isn't a bulky SLR. It still easily fits in my husband's pocket or my purse and I can carry it around with a wrist strap. It was also very affordable. We bought it for $180 at Costco but I see that it's $170 on Amazon! It's 10 MP, which is good enough for us. They also have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7, which is 12 MP, but with the same optical zoom and $100 more.

It is funny - i am so torn as to what to do as far as photography goes. I am a professional photographer - but I NEVER travel with my REAL gear (unless that is the purpose of the trip: Ie: I have photographed weddings in Mexico...).

I figured after looking at your pictures that you must have used an SLR. I have 5 SLR's and 1 Canon P&S. I have heard WONDERFUL things about the LUMIX's from other professional Photographers...I obviously would want a large soom (I have a 70-200 lense for my SLR's)...anyway - I am still torn!!

Thank you CruisingGoddess, you should write a book, you made me feel like I was right there with you.

Now I can't wait for our Alaska cruisetour this May. Your review was amazing and very detailed. Many thanks again for all the great information.

Thank you CruisingGoddess, you should write a book, you made me feel like I was right there with you.

Now I can't wait for our Alaska cruisetour this May. Your review was amazing and very detailed. Many thanks again for all the great information.

Thanks for your kind words! I'm just glad I can help others after all the CC members have done for me!!

A DSLR even on vacation opens up opportunities that you simply can't get with a P&S / smartphone, but for 95% of memory snapshots more then good enough :D

6400 ISO + indoors in places that don't allow flash.

Super telephoto or super wide in places like Alaska ;)

A 70-200 even with a converter on a crop camera is too short for some things :mad:

It is funny - i am so torn as to what to do as far as photography goes. I am a professional photographer - but I NEVER travel with my REAL gear (unless that is the purpose of the trip: Ie: I have photographed weddings in Mexico...).

I figured after looking at your pictures that you must have used an SLR. I have 5 SLR's and 1 Canon P&S. I have heard WONDERFUL things about the LUMIX's from other professional Photographers...I obviously would want a large soom (I have a 70-200 lense for my SLR's)...anyway - I am still torn!!

• 2 weeks later...
I just started reading your review and am really enjoying it. I'm thinking about an Alaskan cruise on the Island for 2012. I work in Frisco so we are "neighbors"!

Merry, Merry Christmas to all!

Hello, neighbor!! It was awesome going to Alaska in the summer. We left 100 degree weather at home for some nice cool temps!! You will love it!

Your review and pictures were fabulous. Thanks for taking the time to write everything. We will be in Alaska this summer (July 15th Celebrity Millenium).

You're welcome!! We considered the Millennium also before we booked Island. She seems like a wonderful ship!

I was wondering what type of camera to use on this sort of trip. I have a Canon...it's a bulkier model (forget which type exactly)...10mp and 20x zoom. I'm hoping with this zoom I'd be able to see animals that are far away? My only conccern is the rainy / misty weather. I've checked a bunch of places and cannot find any sort of contraption that would protect my camera from the weather. I guess I can always try using a zop lock bag around the camera? Any auggestions from anyone? I'm also keeping my eyes open for a small camera with good zoom for my Med cruise this summer...

I was wondering what type of camera to use on this sort of trip. I have a Canon...it's a bulkier model (forget which type exactly)...10mp and 20x zoom. I'm hoping with this zoom I'd be able to see animals that are far away? My only conccern is the rainy / misty weather. I've checked a bunch of places and cannot find any sort of contraption that would protect my camera from the weather. I guess I can always try using a zop lock bag around the camera? Any auggestions from anyone? I'm also keeping my eyes open for a small camera with good zoom for my Med cruise this summer...

All photos were taken with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1, which we bought for this cruise because it has 12x optical zoom. We also used the Canon PowerShot SD790 IS digital camera as a secondary camera.

I highly recommend the Panasonic Lumix ZS series. The 12x optical zoom was great in Alaska! It held up pretty well in the rainy and misty weather too. We just tried to shield it from the rain as much as possible. The only bump we had was on the Prince William Sound cruise in Whittier. The Lumix lens fogged up there, whereas the Canon Powershot lens did not.

One option is one of those clear plastic rain covers but I saw some people with them and they blew a lot in the wind. You can also buy a waterproof case for your camera, like a [/url]Dicapac, but it'll be hard to zoom with it. Or you can get a waterproof camera all together but generally, waterproof cameras don't have a great zoom. I think we were fine without all these and just used our cameras in the rain and put them back in your pocket when not using them.

Thanks Cruising Goddess. I have checked into the waterproof packs before. I'm just having a hard time finding one that fits my camera (Canon Power Shot SX10IS)...not sure if some of these packs are "equivalent" and would be able to fit my camera or not. I'll keep looking. Thanks!

Thanks Cruising Goddess. I have checked into the waterproof packs before. I'm just having a hard time finding one that fits my camera (Canon Power Shot SX10IS)...not sure if some of these packs are "equivalent" and would be able to fit my camera or not. I'll keep looking. Thanks!

This link shows which Dicapac fits which Canon cameras:

http://www.dicapac.com/new_kor/img/03_manual_img/nf-canon.jpg

Not sure if your camera is on there. Good luck!

Thanks again Cruising Goddess. I looked at your link...unfortunately the model of my camera is not on the chart (it's at the bottom of the chart). I was able to find one underwater housing for my camera...it looks more suited to someone who would be diving. It's $800+, which is twice as much as I paid for the camera itself. Even Canon stated that it does not make a waterproof housing for the camera. I guess it's because of the lens...it's a 20x lens, so it does extend out a bit. Oh well...I'll keep looking...but also look for smaller cameras that can fit in one of the dicapacks. (I'm not against smaller cameras, but hate the idea of needing several back up battery packs...I like to take a lot of photos. With my current camera, I can use AA batteries, which is super convenient if the batteries ever die...I can always find replacements at a convenience store.)

Hi Cruising Goddess,

Do you remember about what you paid for your Chilkoot train excursion?

Also at what point did you start booking excursions for a July cruise?

Thanks for your input!

The Chilkoot Charters Yukon Rail & Bus Excursion costs $175/person. If you add the dog cart ride, it is $206/person.

I started booking excursions in January for my July cruise. Even then, I had some operators who go to Anan Creek tell me they were booked up already! :eek:

Hope that helps!

• 3 weeks later...

I know that this has nothing to do with the cruise you took last year, but has anyone else mentioned that they saw you on Suze Orman's show? Figured out right away it was you, because of your CC Avatar :D

Susan in Anchorage :)

I know that this has nothing to do with the cruise you took last year, but has anyone else mentioned that they saw you on Suze Orman's show? Figured out right away it was you, because of your CC Avatar :D

I mentioned it privately shortly after the showed aired. I thought Suze was a bit hard on her, but fun to have a "celebrity" in our midst :)

I mentioned it privately shortly after the showed aired. I thought Suze was a bit hard on her, but fun to have a "celebrity" in our midst :)

Yup, that was me! I tried to keep it on the down low in hopes that people I know in real life would not see it. (I just want them to know all my business, you know?) Funny enough, only 1 friend and my parents actually saw the show. More people on CruiseCritic recognized me than the people I know in real life! LOL! It's actually sweet that people on CC recognized me!!

I appreciate your support, frugaltravel! We have already made some of the changes Suze recommended but it will be hard for us to save as much as we recommended. I talked to DH about it and he's okay with having to work longer than 55 if it means we can enjoy our lives more now while we're young.

Yup, that was me! I tried to keep it on the down low in hopes that people I know in real life would not see it. (I just want them to know all my business, you know?) Funny enough, only 1 friend and my parents actually saw the show. More people on CruiseCritic recognized me than the people I know in real life! LOL! It's actually sweet that people on CC recognized me!!

I appreciate your support, frugaltravel! We have already made some of the changes Suze recommended but it will be hard for us to save as much as we recommended. I talked to DH about it and he's okay with having to work longer than 55 if it means we can enjoy our lives more now while we're young.

You know as I get older and my Dad put off retirement a year so he was only retired a 1 1/2 years instead of 2 1/2 when we lost him to cancer, my philosophy is leaning towards, do what you can, when you can, because no one is guaranteed tomorrow.

You can save but at the same time you need to enjoy life too.

Archived