My detailed Alaska trip report

CruisingGoddess

Back to Denali. How uncomfortable we're the shuttle busses I hear they are just like school busses.

They are just like school buses but not too bad. We were standby for one of the first buses so we got the last seats, which were over the wheel well, and that was on comfortable. I don't recommend that seat. It's best to get early for your time slot and get better seats.

We leaving for our Hawaii cruise in 9 days and I'm determined to write my detailed review of my Alaska cruise before then!! So here goes!! Feel free to post any questions in the meantime or send me an e-mail!

About Our Trip

Dates: July 1-12, 2010

Pre-cruise portion: 2 nights in Anchorage, 2 nights in Denali

Ship: Island Princess (July 5, 2010 sailing)

Cruise Itinerary: Whittier, Hubbard Glacier, Glacier Bay, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Vancouver

About Us

Chris and I are a married couple of DINKS (Double Income No Kids) in our early 30's. We live near Dallas, Texas but are originally from Los Angeles, California. This was our 4th cruise but 1st cruise on Princess. We have sailed Disney twice and Royal Caribbean once.

Trip Photos

+ All of my Alaska photos

+ My Alaska photo book

Trip Report

Below are links by day to my DETAILED trip report with photos:

+ Day 1: Anchorage, Alaska

+ Day 2: Anchorage to Denali National Park

+ Day 3: Denali National Park

+ Day 4: Denali National Park to Anchorage

More coming soon...

This might have been asked already but on your day 2 review you posted the following:

Like many people on an Alaska cruise, we had the option of booking the cruise only or book a cruisetour, which included a land tour of Interior Alaska (usually Fairbanks and Denali National Park). We really wanted to go to Denali National Park before our cruise but the cruisetour seemed very pricey (about $1k-$2k more per person) and we didn’t really want to go to Fairbanks and I didn’t want to do the Denali tour included in the cruisetour. At the same time, I wanted to experience Princess’ glass-domed rail cars and Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. So instead of a cruisetour, I booked a rail package from PrincessLodges.com. The package included train to Denali on Princess’ rail cars, 2 nights at Denali Princess, and motorcoach back to Anchorage. Plus, we had the flexibility of doing whatever we wanted once we were in Denali. We used a 2-for-1 coupon from the Alaska TourSaver book and saved $300! The cost for the 2 of us was $587.38.

Was the total cost of $587.38 for the train ride and the two nights at the Lodge when using the TourSaver book?

Rebecca, wonderful, wonderful review!! I also enjoyed your POA review, after closely following your posts prior to that cruise.

We are staying at the Historic Anchorage Hotel, and I sure hope no ghosts appear that night. :D We will probably be seeing some of the Anchorage sights you mentioned in your review.

You haven't said which company you are using for your Misty Fjords flightseeing; I hope it is Island Wings, which has been our favorite cruising excursion so far.

Have fun on your upcoming cruise!

Cruising Godess,

Thank you so much for very excellent prepared reports and excellent photos. I hope you got my links and they worked. Certainly the quality of reports and photos is no where near yours, but you might get some idea.

I see you are on the Millennium in August this year. Wonderful ship. She is my favorite and will be going back to her in January out of Singapore after sailing three Silversea cruises. When one goes back to Millennium after Silversea it is quite compliment to Celebrity.

So you have been to Glacier Bay and now will go to Hubbard. Plan your lunch on your veranda at Hubbard. The captain will turn the ship round and round so you get a view. Listen for the calving. Anchorage has a nice Segway tour.

We are off to Alaska again this June on HAL. That is one cruise line I have not been on.

I wanted you to know that all of us appreciate the effort you put forth to post all your information and it is very well organized.

Was the total cost of $587.38 for the train ride and the two nights at the Lodge when using the TourSaver book?

Yes, the total cost included 2 nights, train ride, and bus back to Anchorage. The coupons in the TourSaver book change year to year so check their web site to see what coupons they are offering this year.

Rebecca, wonderful, wonderful review!! I also enjoyed your POA review, after closely following your posts prior to that cruise.

We are staying at the Historic Anchorage Hotel, and I sure hope no ghosts appear that night. :D We will probably be seeing some of the Anchorage sights you mentioned in your review.

You haven't said which company you are using for your Misty Fjords flightseeing; I hope it is Island Wings, which has been our favorite cruising excursion so far.

Have fun on your upcoming cruise!

Glad to hear you enjoyed my trip reports and that you're staying at the Historic Anchorage Hotel! I also hope you have no unexpected visitors!! LOL! Though my DH would have been thrilled to see them. :eek:

I don't think we'll be doing Misty Fjords flightseeing after all. DH really wants to do the Adventure Kart excursion in Ketchikan and that doesn't leave us enough time to do both because our ship leaves Ketchikan at 3 pm. He doesn't ask for much so I'll have to give in. Misty Fjords will go on the "next time" list.

Cruising Godess,

Thank you so much for very excellent prepared reports and excellent photos. I hope you got my links and they worked. Certainly the quality of reports and photos is no where near yours, but you might get some idea.

I see you are on the Millennium in August this year. Wonderful ship. She is my favorite and will be going back to her in January out of Singapore after sailing three Silversea cruises. When one goes back to Millennium after Silversea it is quite compliment to Celebrity.

So you have been to Glacier Bay and now will go to Hubbard. Plan your lunch on your veranda at Hubbard. The captain will turn the ship round and round so you get a view. Listen for the calving. Anchorage has a nice Segway tour.

We are off to Alaska again this June on HAL. That is one cruise line I have not been on.

I wanted you to know that all of us appreciate the effort you put forth to post all your information and it is very well organized.

I've actually been to Hubbard already on our first Alaska cruise but looking forward to seeing it again. Hopefully, it won't be as windy/rainy this time around.

I got your e-mail with links to your photos. They are wonderful!! Thank you for sharing!

Yes, the total cost included 2 nights, train ride, and bus back to Anchorage. The coupons in the TourSaver book change year to year so check their web site to see what coupons they are offering this year.

I'll definitely be looking that up in the TourSaver book! I had found a few other deals but didn't even see the Princess Lodge and/or dom train option. I hope it'll still be available for next year!

Thank you so much for your detailed trip report, I'm leaning on doing the same myself (cruise and then tour on my own) and I've learned so much both on this board and from your post. Thanks again for taking the time to write it all out and sharing it with everyone!

I'll definitely be looking that up in the TourSaver book! I had found a few other deals but didn't even see the Princess Lodge and/or dom train option. I hope it'll still be available for next year!

Thank you so much for your detailed trip report, I'm leaning on doing the same myself (cruise and then tour on my own) and I've learned so much both on this board and from your post. Thanks again for taking the time to write it all out and sharing it with everyone!

Princess is running a special right now on Groupon for $599 for a two-night stay for two at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge with roundtrip rail transportation from Anchorage:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-princess-lodges?sd=false&utm_campaign=UserReferral_dp&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=uu1723941

Princess is running a special right now on Groupon for $599 for a two-night stay for two at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge with roundtrip rail transportation from Anchorage:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/ga-princess-lodges?sd=false&utm_campaign=UserReferral_dp&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=uu1723941

Gah, why couldn't I be cruising this year instead of next year!:eek: Hopefully they'll be something similar next year when we go. . .although with my luck, probably not!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the link, I've bookmarked the Groupon page! I cannot say how thankful I am that I've found this board and how everyone's been sharing their experiences. I've learned so much!

Gah, why couldn't I be cruising this year instead of next year!:eek: Hopefully they'll be something similar next year when we go. . .although with my luck, probably not!:rolleyes:

There are so many "deals" out there all the time actually. Patience is the key. A year (or two?) ago the Alaska Railroad sold half price gift cards, then you could use them to pay for rail tickets including using 2-for-1 coupons, effectively making the price 25% of the retail cost.

I am saving over $600 using various coupons and discounts on an upcoming trip. Also paying a song and a dance for an on-airport car rental.

Ugh. I haven't. I haven't even uploading the photos from that trip yet. :( I've just been too busy moving on to planning the next trip. We got back from POA in September and I immediately started planning a trip to the Everglades in November followed by a New Year's trip to Las Vegas, then a trip to London & Paris in March. Now, I'm planning this Alaska cruise. I'm hoping I'll have some breathing room in between soon. :eek:

In the meantime, our Alaska plans are coming together. We are planning to take a Kenai Fjords cruise after disembarking the Celebrity Millenniumm and then drive to Homer, where we'll spend 3 nights before flying home. Plan to do some bear viewing and halibut fishing in Homer while we're there but nothing is booked yet, except our hotel and car rental.

Excursions I'm leaning towards...

Ketchikan: Misty Fjords flightseeing

Juneau: glacier trek, shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier

Icy Strait Point: bear viewing & whale watching

Skagway: Glacier Point Wilderness Safari

I'd like to add kayaking also but not sure where yet. :D

Hi Rebecca,

Sounds like you have lots of travels to look forward to. Lucky you!!!

Although I have not used them for kayaking, here is a vendor I found in my research and saved for future reference. They are out of Homer:

http://www.truenorthkayak.com/daytrip.html

Hi Rebbeca Sailing Island Princess SB June27th . Could you tell Me were you got the wooden bear claw salald forks . Thanks for the wonderfull review it helped in my planning. Dennis

As Assateague said, they are at lots of souvenir stores. When you board it Whittier, make sure you pick up the Destination Alaska coupon book. They were located in a stand right before you go to the check-in counter. There were coupons in it for $1.99 bear claws at Alaska Shirt Co. in Skagway and free with purchase at Juneau Trading Co. in Juneau. The coupons may have changed by now but I would think there'd be at least one good coupon for bear claws! :D

I should also mention some of my other favorite deals in the coupon book. I wrote them out in my Shopping Guide blog post:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/472/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wanted to share a couple of things...

First, I wrote a blog about getting started on planning an Alaska cruise for some friends of mine who were asking so I wanted to share it with you guys:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/1226/

Second, I pretty much have my plans down for our upcoming Alaska cruise!

• Vancouver: Drop off luggage, lunch in Chinatown before boarding the ship
  • Ketchikan: Adventure Kart Expedition
  • Icy Strait: Bear viewing & whale watching w/ Teckk Outfitters
  • Juneau: Level 2 Glacier Trek w/Northstar Trekking, take shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier
  • Skagway: Eagle Preserve Wildlife River Adventure in Haines (through cruise ship)
  • Seward: Rent a car, go to Exit Glacier, and drive to Homer
  • Homer (Day 1): Bear viewing with K Bay Air
  • Homer (Day 2): Halibut fishing with Rainbow Tours
  • Homer (Day 3): Fly home w/ a stop in Anchorage

I wanted to share a couple of things...

First, I wrote a blog about getting started on planning an Alaska cruise for some friends of mine who were asking so I wanted to share it with you guys:

http://moonprincess.com/travel/1226/

Second, I pretty much have my plans down for our upcoming Alaska cruise!

• Vancouver: Drop off luggage, lunch in Chinatown before boarding the ship
  • Ketchikan: Adventure Kart Expedition
  • Icy Strait: Bear viewing & whale watching w/ Teckk Outfitters
  • Juneau: Level 2 Glacier Trek w/Northstar Trekking, take shuttle to Mendenhall Glacier
  • Skagway: Eagle Preserve Wildlife River Adventure in Haines (through cruise ship)
  • Seward: Rent a car, go to Exit Glacier, and drive to Homer
  • Homer (Day 1): Bear viewing with K Bay Air
  • Homer (Day 2): Halibut fishing with Rainbow Tours
  • Homer (Day 3): Fly home w/ a stop in Anchorage

I took a glimpse at your blog...very cool! We're pretty much your complete opposites...single income, stay-at-home mom to 4 kids...but "DINKing" sure sounds nice sometimes! Ha ha :)

• 3 weeks later...
I took a glimpse at your blog...very cool! We're pretty much your complete opposites...single income, stay-at-home mom to 4 kids...but "DINKing" sure sounds nice sometimes! Ha ha :)

Judging by your signature, it looks like your family is doing quite well too!! ;) If it makes you feel any better, we have 5 mouths to feed of the four-legged kind! (Rats, not dogs/cats! :eek: )

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Rebecca - Glad to see this thread is still around! I found it months ago and then read your blog, which was hugely instrumental in planning our trip. :) We just got back from our first cruise ever, but hopefully not the last, and first trip to Alaska, hopefully not the last either!! :) Thanks again for your wonderful blog and I hope your upcoming trip to Alaska is just as wonderful as the 2010 one!!

Rebecca - I just wanted to say thank you for your lovely blog. I've really enjoyed reading it and sent links to other family members we will be traveling with even though I have 10 months to wait until our Alaska cruise!

Archived