Which cruise line is the best?

FSU3NOLES28

In looking at different cruise lines... what should I expect from each?

Carnival = Best for sailing on a budget, enjoy lively activities and nightlife, and are a smoker.

Celebrity = Best if you are a non-smoker and prefer more relaxed, subdued activities.

Royal Caribbean = Best ships in the business, best for sea day activities, and best for families with teens.

NCL = Best if you like no schedules and multiple eating options.

Disney = Best for families with young kids.

There are plenty of other cruise lines, but I don't think any of the them are the "best" at anything. This, of course, is all just my opinion.

The question: "Which is the best line" on a site like this -- loaded with rabid partisans who revel in their anonymity -- is virtually pointless.

It is best to ask objective questions about several lines - focussing on qualities such as: types of dining venues, smoking policies, dress codes, types of entertainment, demographics of repeat customer base, etc. And don't just ask them here -talk to travel agents, even request informaton from the lines themselves.

Then, after you have gotten comparative information about the lines - ask yourself what sort of environment you prefer.

If you doubt this approach, just scroll back and read som of tghe inane tripe the advocates (or loathers) of particular lines have had to say --- how many of them sound objective and reliable?

The question: "Which is the best line" on a site like this -- loaded with rabid partisans who revel in their anonymity -- is virtually pointless.

It is best to ask objective questions about several lines - focussing on qualities such as: types of dining venues, smoking policies, dress codes, types of entertainment, demographics of repeat customer base, etc. And don't just ask them here -talk to travel agents, even request informaton from the lines themselves.

Then, after you have gotten comparative information about the lines - ask yourself what sort of environment you prefer.

If you doubt this approach, just scroll back and read som of tghe inane tripe the advocates (or loathers) of particular lines have had to say --- how many of them sound objective and reliable?

Well, I consider you reliable and objective, navybankerteacher, and I am interested in which of the many ships you've been on would you rank tops -- apart from itinerary, if anything can be apart from that.

-------------

Five times on NCL and two years long ago and far away on USS Princeton LPH-5 (I also did gunnery training for a day out of San Diego on a DD whose name I cannot recall and took a VIP one-day cruise out of Charleston on a guided missle frigate whos name also has escaped in the 20 years since.)

Well, I consider you reliable and objective, navybankerteacher, and I am interested in which of the many ships you've been on would you rank tops -- apart from itinerary, if anything can be apart from that.

-------------

Five times on NCL and two years long ago and far away on USS Princeton LPH-5 (I also did gunnery training for a day out of San Diego on a DD whose name I cannot recall and took a VIP one-day cruise out of Charleston on a guided missle frigate whos name also has escaped in the 20 years since.)

Because you asked for a personal opinion, not a "best" rating - I would say HAL offers what I most value: in service, food quality, comfort, cabin layout, traditional approach to cruising, passenger demographic, etc. -- even ship design. Maasdam is my favorite - the right size from my point of view, followed by Noordam -but to be realistic, I would say any ships of their respective classes.

Do yourself a favor. Look at each of the cruiseline's websites, read their policies (smoking, dressing, etc.), look at their amenities (public spaces, cabins, etc.). Sail on each line that sounds interesting, and make up your own mind to which fits you the best.

The tired, worn-out, stereotypical responses of some may keep you from trying a line you might enjoy.

No matter which line you sail on, you're sure to have some good food, good entertainment, and a good time!

Like NavyBankTeacher I enjoy HAL, and what it does best. I'd sum it up as "traditional".

Cruzaholic41, you may think other lines don't do anything "best" because those things aren't stuff you value or need. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's why I didn't mention HAL to the OP, despite my own bias in HAL's favour - don't think he's looking for that flavour of "traditional".

But maybe I'm doing him a disservice. I absolutely agree with Azure Moon's post, above. It's lots of work and a PITA to research each line, but there's really no substitute. Sometimes the stuff you discover points you in surprising directions.

Cruzaholic41, you may think other lines don't do anything "best" because those things aren't stuff you value or need. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's why I didn't mention HAL to the OP, despite my own bias in HAL's favour - don't think he's looking for that flavour of "traditional".

I agree with you. HAL is a wonderful cruise line. But I got the impression the OP was on the young side. I know there are exceptions, but HAL tends to cater to the older crowd, not the younger bf/gf types.

how can you say "ncl, royal caribbean and carnival are more alike than dissimilar". you must not cruise too often. on a number scale, royal and carnival are a 7, while ncl is negative 2. wake up and smell the salt air.....

I am an experienced cruiser, 104 days since 1998.

I like NCL and actually prefer them to Carnival and RCI. I do consider NCL a "bargain line" like Carnival. For a nicer cruise, I would pick Celebrity or HAL, which my husband I often do when it isjust the 2 of us.

Yes, there food in the no pay extra restaurants is just okay-very much like RCI. However, RCI is a good bit pricier. NCL's pay extra restaurants are very nice, and since the price for the cruise is so inexpensive, I do not mind paying extra to go to the nicer restaurants several times during the cruise. On RCI the cruise cost so much more, we will do this perhaps once, even though their food is mediocre at best-however, I realize many like RCI, not for the food, but the extra activities like the wave runner, something I am not going to do anyway, so I would rather put my money in the better food at the pay extra restaurants on NCL. Every one has to decide what is best for them personally.

Sorry about not giving you more info. I'm actually not looking for a huge party boat. The g/f and I are looking for a nice romantic getaway without spending a ton, but that's going to give us great food, entertainment, and a good time. We did like the shows that Carnival had last time... do other cruise ships have shows like that?

Based on what you have asked for, I suggest taking a good look at either the Oasis of the Seas or the Allure of the Seas. They are the World's largest cruise ships and the on board entertainment is the best. The shows consist of a Broadway show (Hairspray or Chicago), a production show with aerial acrobatics, a Headliner Show (Platters, Drifters...or something similar), an ice show in the ice rink, comedy shows in the Comedy Club, and a high dive show at the Aqua Theater.

I found the food to be very good. However, they also have several extra charge restaurants. In my opinion, the best was Giovanni's Table. It was only $10 for lunch or $15 for dinner. The sushi restaurant was also a favorite of mine.

The ship also has 2 Flowriders (surf simulators), 2 rock walls, and a zip line.

So my vote for the best goes to Royal Caribbean's Oasis Class. Enjoy whatever you choose. :)

I agree with you. HAL is a wonderful cruise line. But I got the impression the OP was on the young side. I know there are exceptions, but HAL tends to cater to the older crowd, not the younger bf/gf types.

We were thinking alike. I agree.

Based on what you have asked for, I suggest taking a good look at either the Oasis of the Seas or the Allure of the Seas. They are the World's largest cruise ships and the on board entertainment is the best.

The one negative you might want to bear in mind about the Oasis class ships: price. Substantially higher right now than a similar cabin, on, for example, Carnival.

Most posters so far have found the extra activities and "wow factor" worth the extra cost.

• 5 weeks later...
We were thinking alike. I agree.

The one negative you might want to bear in mind about the Oasis class ships: price. Substantially higher right now than a similar cabin, on, for example, Carnival.

Most posters so far have found the extra activities and "wow factor" worth the extra cost.

I would never do a ship that was a floating city or shopping mall like the Oasis class ships. My very biggest would be Freedom Class on RCI, but some big ships like Celebrity Solstice class have an otherwise intimate feel. I don't go on cruises to be lost in a huge crowd. I go to run into people and make friends and get to know people. If you want a theme park on water and don't care about making any interpersonal relationships then you might like those ships.

90% of everyone I've talked to ranks Carnival the worst, as the "McDonald's of the ocean". I've done Carnival, RCI and Celebrity, and Celebrity was my favorite, followed by RCI (same company) as a close second.

Sorry about not giving you more info. I'm actually not looking for a huge party boat. The g/f and I are looking for a nice romantic getaway without spending a ton, but that's going to give us great food, entertainment, and a good time. We did like the shows that Carnival had last time... do other cruise ships have shows like that?

Basically I was just looking for the differences between say:

Carnival

Royal Caribbean

Norwegian

Disney

Celebrity

I should also add that I probably want a balcony of some sort. It's not that we are in the room 24/7 but it would be nice if we wanted to sit outside that we could do it in the privacy just off of our bedroom.

You are asking a terrific question, but the answer is really complex because much depends on your personal taste, specific ship, length of cruise, time or year, and a little luck. But, at the risk of generalizing we think Carnival and Royal Caribbean are pretty comparable....although the size of the ship can change the entire experience. Disney is a fine line, but we tend to favor this line for young families because of their wonderful kids programs (Royal Caribbean also has good kids programs). Norwegian is unto itself, has its own unique "Free Style" formula and seems to be a love it or hate it kind of line. Celebrity is supposed to be the upscale company of the RCI (Royal Caribbean) family but we have never thought it upscale but rather just more sedate...with generally an older crowd. You did leave Princess off your list (not sure why) which we think is also a great product for younger cruisers (under 40).

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
As far as the shows... my g/f loves them. Singing, dancing all that stuff. Comedy shows are different and fun since we don't get out often.

Royal Caribbean has ice rinks on their larger ships (Freedom and Oasis class). I thought the ice show on Liberty was first rate! I wasn't looking forward to it, but DW was. I'm glad I went.

Now we must disagree with the comment that RCI has the "best ships." Sure, they have glitzy mega-ships but whether this is a good thing is certainly open to question. For cruises like us (and after reading one of the other comments we can say we probably did our 35th cruise about 15 years ago and have done a lot more since) small is better than huge. Ships like the Oasis are wonderful for those who want to be on a resort as opposed to a cruise. In fact, if you look at the ultra luxury cruise lines (Silverseas, Seabourn, Sea Dream, Regent) what they have in common is that they do not have mega-ships. If quality equalled big then the huge banquet halls would be the best restaurants.... We actually do like the Radiance ships a lot, but based on all the budget cutting on that line we do not think their quality is even close to what it used to be and certainly not as good as several other mass-market lines such as HA, X, etc. In fact, some would argue that even Carnival now has better food than on RCI...particularly in the buffets. RCI has developed a very successful philosophy of building huge mega-ships designed to maximize on-board revenue and economies of scale.

Hank

Royal Caribbean has ice rinks on their larger ships (Freedom and Oasis class). I thought the ice show on Liberty was first rate! I wasn't looking forward to it, but DW was. I'm glad I went.

Just to add that they have ice rinks on the Voyager class ships too.

beachchick

Basically I was just looking for the differences between say:

Carnival

Royal Caribbean

Norwegian

Disney

Celebrity

I should also add that I probably want a balcony of some sort. It's not that we are in the room 24/7 but it would be nice if we wanted to sit outside that we could do it in the privacy just off of our bedroom.

We can all go on and on about our own preferences, but based on the info you've given (including value and not having to pay extra for fine dining), I actually think Carnival is still a great choice for you. I would agree that a longer cruise (7-day) out of Miami might be better; research what ships are available and read reviews of them here on Cruise Critic's review section. Newer ships generally are nicer and have more bells and whistles.

I might suggest, based on your list, that you also consider Princess. Their food in the main dining room is very good, and their entertainment is also not bad. They have production shows (singing, dancing) as all lines do but they also have a lot of later evening entertainment -- comics, live music, etc. The crowd may be slightly older than Carnival's. If you get a balcony, Princess has a wonderful romantic balcony dinner (extra charge, but would be very special) that is served to you on your own balcony.

As to NCL, I've sailed on many lines and it is the one I will never sail on again. That's my subjective opinion, but if you look at member reviews/ratings, you'll find that NCL consistently receives lower overall scores than the other lines you've mentioned.

I will try to make this very simple:

Princess -- our favorite -- super in all categories

RCCL -- Oasis was terrific and worth a one-time sail

Costa -- very friendly -- would sail with them again -- very economical

Carnival -- passengers were very rude -- crew was terrific

Celebrity -- we're booked for May, so we'll see what happens.

DW reminds me that one problem with this kind of "poll" is the experience of the cruiser. Many cruisers only cruise on one or two lines and so they tend to favor those lines. Its kind of like somebody who says a Volkswagon is the best car in the world because that is the only car they have ever owned or driven. Most folks that cruise on the mass-market lines have never been on the ultra luxury lines (such as Seabourn, Silverseas, etc) and have no clue as to what you get with those smaller ships. The funny thing about us is that we have cruised on exactly 12 different lines and more then fifty different ships and really cannot say what is best. The reason is that we find pros and cons on each line (and ship) and its difficult to choose an overall favorite. It's fun to share opinions with other cruisers and you do hear all kinds of things. We particularly get a kick out of the so-called "Carnival Bashers" who will tell you how awful Carnival is, and in the next breath tell you that they have never cruised on Carnival but just know its awful! Love it.

Hank

how can you say "ncl, royal caribbean and carnival are more alike than dissimilar". you must not cruise too often. on a number scale, royal and carnival are a 7, while ncl is negative 2. wake up and smell the salt air.....

Please....

Well, anyway. Please.

To the Op - I think the best advice I can give is to take in what people say good about a cruise line and decide which of those positives suits your likes. Ignore the negative comments, particularly when a negative response has to be given to everyone else's positive comments. Those people tend to have agendas and don't really help.

me and my wife have only been on ncl and celebrity.we are 30 yrs old and 23.. if you want tons of old people go with celebrity.... ncl was slightly younger with more to do on the ship. ncl was alot better than celebrity in my own opinoin, but on celebrity they didnt push us to drink all the time like ncl does.

Voyager class also.

Just to add that they have ice rinks on the Voyager class ships too.

beachchick

Ooops... thanks for the correction. I'd forgotten. We never did the ice rink stuff on Mariner or Navigator. We tried to skate on Mariner, but were never able to coordinate the open-skate time (Cruise Compass had incorrect info).

Archived