Explorer of Seas Room Questions - New to RCI

cruise1985

Hi all,

I've searched these forums and find the "all things" thread a little overwhelming. I'm new to RCI and don't understand the cabin categories, so here are some questions about EOS cabins. I'm interested in an oceanview room.

What is a "hump" cabin? I keep reading about those on this forum...

Will a Deck 2 oceanview, near the conference ctr and ice rink, be noisy? (Rooms 2556, 2586, or 2310, for example)

Is it better to be on deck 7 or 8 where there are only rooms above and below you, as opposed to lots of public areas? Concerned about noise.

Is there room on the ledge of oceanview rooms, if I want to sit and look out?

Is it possible to get a porthole, instead of a real window, and if so, what category should I avoid so that doesn't happen?

Anyone have experience with the oddly shaped room 7206? I'm wondering if it is bigger than a standard oceanview? Also concerned about it's location, I generally prefer midship.

Thanks!!

The "hump" is where the side of the ship "bows" out...look at the deck plans and you can see it...it's a VERY convenient location...that's the main reason folks like them so much. Only on Radiance class does the hump give some balconies extra room. Explorer''s hump cabins are convenient, but no larger than any other of the same catagory.

None of the cabin hallways are open to public areas...none are noisy.

Cabins with a window are not great for viewing...the window is mainly to let light in...not so much for seeing out of. There is no "ledge" to sit on...you may have to kneel on the bed to see out.

The porthole rooms will be forward on deck 2.

I have heard that the lower floors (like deck 2) have less motion than the upper floors. If you have difficulty with motion, you may want this deck. Decks 7 and 8 are kind of midway between the promenade on deck 5 and Windjammer and pools on deck 11. I would choose deck 7 or 8. If you can swing it, a balcony is very nice. You can sit in the room and look out or go out and sit on the balcony. It's also nice to get a cup of coffee or two and sit out there in the morning. You also get some fresh air. In the past we have gone up to the Windjammer or down to the promenade to get a little "something" to eat on the balcony. You can do this in your ocean view cabin also, if you wish, but it is not the same. Enjoy your cruise. Explorer is a very nice ship.

Are you looking for an oceanview room exclusively? Your choices are somewhat limited on the Explorer. The 3 deck rooms you have mentioned are all connecting rooms - this would be a greater noise concern than any other thing you have mentioned.

No one has expressed any concerns about the noise on deck 2. But what you have to understand is that deck 2 is not a through deck. If you are in the aft, you can only use the aft elevators and if you are forward, you can only use the forward elevator.

IMO the secret to the Explorer is to be as close as possible to the aft elevators unless you are getting an aft balcony cabin on decks 7-10 on the very stern of the ship.

Will a Deck 2 oceanview, near the conference ctr and ice rink, be noisy?...

Anyone have experience with the oddly shaped room 7206? I'm wondering if it is bigger than a standard oceanview? Also concerned about it's location, I generally prefer midship.

Hi there,

First of all, Explorer is a phenominal ship, our favorite. I can't say enough good things about her. I know you will have a great time. :)

Having said that, personally, I would not book a cabin on Deck 2. For me, it is just too far away from everything. As others have stated, Decks 7, 8, 9 are closer to the action and really just a few decks away from things you will be most interested in. If you are on a higher deck, you can take the stairs up or down to most places. Deck 2 seems awfully far away from the Windjammer, doesn't it? :D ;)

On Mariner recently (Explorer's sister ship) we booked on Deck 9 and this was fabulous. Up two flights of stairs in the morning and we were at breakfast. Great! Down 4 flights to the Royal Promenade. Couldn't have been easier. :)

Concerning room 7206, this is a front-facing cabin. We stayed in 8204 and LOVED it! Yes there was a bit more motion, but we enjoyed being able to look straight out the front of the ship and slightly to the side. Yes it was far away and the walk was long but who's in a hurry on a cruise ship? We weren't. Walking back and forth to the cabin was some good exercise for us. If you aren't booking a balcony, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a front-facing cabin. We definitely enjoyed ours.

Have fun.

Thanks for this great info! After trying to avoid the lower decks because of location, I realized it wasn't much more to grab a balcony. For now, I've reserved the lowest category balcony on the hump of deck 7. Deck 7 sounds like it will be a good location based on your comments. Is noise an issue here since it is right by the elevators?

You made a great decision to take a Hump Cabin on Deck 7! When is your cruise? If there are children onboard you may hear some noise. I doubt it will be a problem. Your bed will be separated from the halls by the bathroom on one side and the closet on the other side of the entrance to your cabin. If you are taking a 12-day cruise the demographics are usually different. Passengers are older and don't run through the halls. :D

enjoy your cruise!

You made a great decision to take a Hump Cabin on Deck 7! When is your cruise? If there are children onboard you may hear some noise. I doubt it will be a problem. Your bed will be separated from the halls by the bathroom on one side and the closet on the other side of the entrance to your cabin. If you are taking a 12-day cruise the demographics are usually different. Passengers are older and don't run through the halls. :D

enjoy your cruise!

It's the 5 day to Bermuda, leaving Apr 23. Could potentially be lots of kids because the 24th is Easter and I'm guessing kids may be on Spring Break?

Thanks for this great info! After trying to avoid the lower decks because of location, I realized it wasn't much more to grab a balcony. For now, I've reserved the lowest category balcony on the hump of deck 7. Deck 7 sounds like it will be a good location based on your comments. Is noise an issue here since it is right by the elevators?

In actuality, the elevators are around a "corner" and a wall separates them from the hall corridor, so it is not like elevators open up to your corridor.

The only noise will come from any revelers walking down your corridor.

You will love your cabin, espcially the balcony.

You will love a hump cabin on deck 7 - IMO convenient to everything. I have sailed on deck 7 four times. The Library is there and it is a quiet area that people respect. Deck 6 has the Business Center/Crown and Anchor always seemed to be noisy.

It's the 5 day to Bermuda, leaving Apr 23. Could potentially be lots of kids because the 24th is Easter and I'm guessing kids may be on Spring Break?

If you like to get to bed early then you might hear noise. I have stayed near the elevator and was never disturbed by noise. Only you know how noise affects you.

I see you've decided not to go with an Oceanview, but FYI, this is what my deck 2 Oceanview on the Explorer looked like (first RCCL cruise):

2s8md1y.jpg

ddfcyp.jpg

This isn't the style of ship with the deep window ledge that one could sit in:

2vts574.jpg

(Only Oceanview I've ever had on any ship, most of my trips have been in Interiors, one Balcony, one Grand Suite.)

The "hump" is where the side of the ship "bows" out...look at the deck plans and you can see it...it's a VERY convenient location...that's the main reason folks like them so much. Only on Radiance class does the hump give some balconies extra room. Explorer''s hump cabins are convenient, but no larger than any other of the same catagory.

None of the cabin hallways are open to public areas...none are noisy.

Cabins with a window are not great for viewing...the window is mainly to let light in...not so much for seeing out of. There is no "ledge" to sit on...you may have to kneel on the bed to see out.

The porthole rooms will be forward on deck 2.

Have you ever been in a Voyager class ocean view catagory cabin? THe windows are large and good for viewing. They are not portholes like the deck 2 windows on Radiance class ships. NO Voyager class ocean view cabins have portholes. They ALL have the large round windows EVEN the forward ones on deck 2. And you don't have to kneel on the bed to see out. :rolleyes:

Archived