Do you board your puppies and kitties when you cruise?

suse

We have a friend that we swap checking in on each others cats when we are away. He usually checks in 2-3 times a week when we are on cruises. We also have a modified cabinet that the Electric Litter Box dumps into a small trash can that gets dumped every 2 weeks for 3 cats. In addition they have a modiied filtered water system to drink from.

I also check in at least once a day on my cameras and do a head count to make sure all 3 are up and ok.

• 2 months later...
One of the reasons I don't like boarding my scottie is that I board him with the vet. Well, we always come home to a very large bill. Something about "catching up with shots" and so forth and so on. It costs far more than my bar bill on my sign and sail!;)

We board our two dogs at the vet too. We actually pre-pay the boarding costs and then ask them to sign an aggreement stating that no other charges will be posted to the account. When pre-paying, the place is more than happy to agree to almost anything!

Bob and Crystal

We have a 15 year old Brittany and a 7 year old Norwich. We have a dog sitter who moves in to our house and watches the dog (to whom I'm about to write a $960 check for her time here from 1/25 to 2/17 :( ). But, it's all part of the cost of having furpals.

Once we only have Minnie, the Norwich (sadly), I think one of our daughters will take care of her. I also have a neighbor with a Norwich and she may love to have company for her Bridie!

Fortunately, our two pups go to family when we are away on vacations or overnights for work... They get well looked after and get treated much the same as if we were at home. We could not have pets if we did not have our lovely mother/mother in law to step up when we need her....

A big thankyou to her!!!!:D:D:D

We still have two of the kids at home, so they just take care of our two Boston Terriers while we are gone.

The only difference for them while we are away is that they sleep on DDs bed instead of ours. They like the human company and the TV on *LOL*

Spoiled little monsters (I am referring to the dogs as well as the kids *LOL*)

I'm having a hard time leaving our 18 year-old Siamese cat with health issues. We lost his sister/littermate late last year to renal failure. We have a great pet sitter, but he's never been home alone. I'm not cruising/vacationing as much as I used to or would like to...:(

B

I'm having a hard time leaving our 18 year-old Siamese cat with health issues. We lost his sister/littermate late last year to renal failure. We have a great pet sitter, but he's never been home alone. I'm not cruising/vacationing as much as I used to or would like to...:(

B

I understand, we have the same issue. Our cat is going on 18 years old and has health problems too -- thankfully we have no cruises planned for another 8 months. I don't think it will be an issue by then....:(:(

I understand, we have the same issue. Our cat is going on 18 years old and has health problems too -- thankfully we have no cruises planned for another 8 months. I don't think it will be an issue by then....:(:(

I agree, it's heartbreaking. If you notice my signature, our next booking is not until December. I don't think it will be an issue by then for us either...

B

I do and feel very sad about it. Do you have family and friends who help out? My scottish terrier doesn't really like anyone anyway.

My Scottie is the same way with one exception....she thinks we are boring and absolutely adores anyone who comes to visit. And that includes our housesitter. At least for a little while.

I think that's just Scotties. They think they are better than you and won't listen to anyone.;)

I'm very happy that my cousin will be taking my Dear Randie (a 1 1/2 year old Pug) when we leave in 9 days....she's been boarded before, but i know she will be spoiled absolutely rotten and get tons of attention with my cousin...and they are saving me a quite a bit of money! I'll be picking something up for her on the cruise and I''m thinking a nice gift certificate as well as my thank you!

We co-ordinate our vacation time with Friends..

We've taken care of their long Haired Doxi "Fritz" since he's been a puppy & they have taken care of our Wire haired Doxi "Brandy" since she's been a puppy...Our Pups adore each other, although their play time is slowing down, as Fritz just turned 12 & Brandy is going to be 11 in May..

They are both healthy & we all hope that they will have many more years of visiting each other!..:):)

Cheers....:)Betty

That is why we don't have dogs or cats, we like to travel and not have to worry about it.

This past April, we lost our 14 year old Pit. We decided to wait a bit and just get over losing her before we did anything. After a month my DW and I decided ya know God willing and all goes well in 5-6 years the last 2 kids will be out of the house and her and I will have enough time to retire from our jobs.

We can sell this big house , get a condo someplace warm, and both get parttime jobs (or certainly way less stressful jobs than we have now) and live pretty damn good.

In fact right now we are basically "kid free". The remaining two at home are in colleg and working. Why tie ourselves down with a dog just as we are starting to get our wings back.

That feeling lasted another month until we got a Boston Terrier puppy and then 2 weeks later a 2 year old Boston terrier (LONG STORY *LOL*)

If you aren't a REAL animal lover, You just don't know , a house is not a home without a pet.

That is why we don't have dogs or cats, we like to travel and not have to worry about it.

It is much easier to travel without the responsibility of pet care and I plan to take a break after our cat passes. However, I know I'll get lonely and get another pet at some point...

B

It is much easier to travel without the responsibility of pet care and I plan to take a break after our cat passes. However, I know I'll get lonely and get another pet at some point...

B

Ditto. We plan to take a break (and take some of the longer cruises). Right now we're both working, so we coudn't take a 30+day cruise now anyway. :p

But that's the plan, and then I'm sure I'll be aching for another pet -- as Babyher said, if you're an animal lover, a house isn't a home without a pet. :)

....well, that's what they think, anyway. LOL It is a boarding place called the 'SPA'....shhhhh....don't tell them. Last year we were lucky enough to have a pet/house sitter, so they got to stay home. This Spring we are on a ten day Mexico cruise, and not sure where the girls will stay, yet. Hopefully home. :D

We have decided to take a long break from cruising if we get the dog we are looking for. I want a mini or toy schnauzer puppy. I am looking for one this Spring. It's hard to find a comptetent breeder. We put our schnauzer down 20yrs ago,Iswore no more but my heart is longing for another one. I will keep searching in my area if they have any very young rescues. I used to leave Mandy with our vet down in Wichita who was great but don't know of any here. All my kids live too many states away from us, two of them have toy schnauzers. I'll keep looking and hoping. We've had our fun these last few years cruising and I'm ready for a break.:)

We have two gorgeous Persian cats, one white, one shaded silver. Persians love people, and they do badly alone. So we pay about $15 a night for a vet tech from our vet's office to come stay at our house--housesitter and catsitter in one! The cats don't have to leave their home, and the vet techs are all college students, need extra money (even a little) and like getting out of their often very crowded houses to have their own little house for a while. The cats are calm and happy when we return. Many of our friends have tried this in other towns and states; it seems to be available all over.

It's really upsetting because we were friends with those neighbors before the scratching incident. Now we don't even speak to each other. Being threatened with a lawsuit tends to break up a friendship. :( It never occured to me that something like this could happen.

I wasn't home so I don't know exactly what the situation was when my cat scratched the child. I really have a difficult time believing my cat just walked up to a strange child and attacked him. I've never seen either of them demonstrate that kind of behavior. I grew up around cats so it's hard to imagine being traumatized by one, especially because of such a small scratch. When I was a kid and got scratched or bitten because I played too rough with the cat, my mom gave me a bandage and kiss then told me that I had it coming for being mean to the cat. I didn't get much sympathy, but I probably didn't deserve it. ;)

Totally agree. when a cat scratches or nips a child, it is usually beacause the child is provoking her.

Did Iunderstand your post correctly? Your neighbor let a five year old child go to your house unsupervised? She sounds off the deep end! And she has the nerve to threaten you with a lawsuit!

My parents watch my rat terrier, but I board my Lab mix and German shepherd at the vet's kennel. I have two friends who lost dogs when pet sitters accidently let the dogs out. One friend recovered her dog, but one never did:mad:

That's my fear, Lizzie. I have a Min-Pin that I never worry about, but I have a Papion that is a runner, and every chance she gets, she runs, and I have to give chase....and boy can that girl run! I have a couple of friends that stayed with my dogs last year, but that was before the running started. I may just opt for the kennel....er....spa this year. :(

We have two bichons who totally run our home. We are blessed to have my sister who loves my dogs and the pups love her. If we did not have someone who loved our dogs as much as we do, I know that we would not go on cruises. As much as we love to travel, we love those little critters more.

Archived