1 night pre-cruise stay in Shanghai

Celandine

I am thinking of staying at the Howard Johnson Plaza near the Bund and Nanjing road

Just wondering if this is a good area to be closer to the cruise port (boarding the Ocean Princess)

It is a fine area of town, IIRC. However, if it were me I would recommend staying closer to a metro stop, I do not see any that close to that hotel. I highly recommended the Marriott Executive Apartments Union Square in Pudong. It is right across from a metro stop and within walking distance of the Oriental Pearl Tower, The Bund, Jin Mao Tower, etc. The hotel is beautiful, the breakfast was great, the staff all spoke English...however, there are not any inexpensive restaurants around (save some quick mall food type restaurants), but there are plenty of swanky restaurants!

Steve

Thanks for the tip.

I looked into the hotel you suggested, but it's over $100 more...

I think I'll book the Howard Johnson (which is on sale) and visit Nanjing road...

any idea how far the cruise port is from this area?

Thanks for the tip.

I looked into the hotel you suggested, but it's over $100 more...

I think I'll book the Howard Johnson (which is on sale) and visit Nanjing road...

any idea how far the cruise port is from this area?

Wow, you are right, they raised the price a lot. I just looked and it is now substantially higher. I paid $128 a night, but that was back in June. Yeah, for that price difference I would pick another hotel.

Steve

You will be fine there.It is close to most things, like People's square and the museum. The cruise terminal for small ships is onnear the Bund on the opposite side od the river from Pudong, so avoid Pudong. Taxis are cheap and you can get anywhere for 2-3 dollars and the bund and Nanjing road walking street is walkable up to the Bund and Yu Garden is about 1 mile from Nanjing Rd. on the Bund. Enjoy! It is a great city.

• 1 month later...

Where is the cruise terminal? We are going with Royal Caribean in April.

I am looking for a Hotel aswell, not to expensive, in the center, good breakfast and with english speaking staff.

My husband and I are visiting China on a cruise and are going to need a double entry visa for each of us. However, does anyone know if we can put both visa applications in the same envelope to the Chinese Visa Application Service here in the UK and will they return them to us in the same envelope (provided by me)? Or do I have to use separate envelopes for each of our applications?

Happy travels:)

Multiple applications in the one envelope should be OK for a couple. Just make sure you enclose all the required supporting documentation and reply paid return envelope , or your application will come back to you faster than the Shanghai Maglev train .

• 2 weeks later...
My husband and I are visiting China on a cruise and are going to need a double entry visa for each of us. However, does anyone know if we can put both visa applications in the same envelope to the Chinese Visa Application Service here in the UK and will they return them to us in the same envelope (provided by me)? Or do I have to use separate envelopes for each of our applications?

Happy travels:)

Just a tip. We have just used 5starchinesevisadotcodotuk. We sent our passports off last Monday (cost £5.50 ish for Special Mail Next Day Delivery) and we received them back on Saturday. Total cost (excluding the mailing to 5star) was £210. They emailed us to say they had received the passports and forms and that they had taken them to the Embassy and emailed us when they had received them back. We were then able to track the package (again sent by next day special delivery which was included in their fee) online. Excellent service.

We were also wondering about sending the two passports and that is why we decided to use the agent.

Happy visit to China.

Archived