Norweign Gem- Never again with NCL!!

Carrybradshaw

Pretty sure that that particular run was the one where the Gem detoured for a few hours to pick up 5 sailors on a slowly sinking boat. The weather was abysmal, but blaming the Cruise line on that seems silly. That was the sv/ Sanctuary.

No...the original post was made in late November 2010, almost a year ago.

I was on the Norwegian Gem cruise that rescued the sailors...the cruise was October 23 to October 30, 2011.

Sorry that you didn't have a good time. My NCL cruise was the complete opposite of yours.

You lost me when you compared the food to "supermarket sushi" that you have eaten in the past.

Luckily you live near other ports with other ships. Just do some research on your particular ship before making the reservation.Try to read recent reviews and then make up your mind.

Best of luck for your next vacation destination.

Easy there Carry, if you like the party scene maybe you should try Carnival . Great party atmosphere for ALL AGES they really try to make everyones cruise a great one. do your homework first, it all depends on what your particular interest are . If you like to spend all that money just to drink ( not saying thats what you do ) then speak to cruise professional for that line you are looking into and ask lots of questions , it doesn`t cost anything to talk with them. I have cruised on 3 lines and have another cruise planned soon (on 1 of them ). They are lots of fun and sorry you are not happy with food . Again i can`t stress enough DO YOUR HOME WORK and you won`t be disappointed P.S forgot to ask is this your first cruise ? if so don`t judge it untill you have cruise at least 1 more time then compare

• 2 months later...
I am an officially retired cruiser. Looking forward to booking Vegas for June 2011.

The screen name and refusal to spend money to fly to FL (insisting to leave from NY) says it all: spoiled entitled New Yorker who believes the world revolves around them.

Glad to hear you won't be cruising anymore: at least I know you won't be complaining on mine!

Also didn't realize someone resurrected a thread that was started two years ago. SIGH.

I think I owe an apology to NCL and all who were reading my posts. I always said, I don't like that NCL does not have fixed dinners, and we usually dine by ourselves.

After reading the original post, I think I should be grateful we don't have to share the table. :p

• 1 month later...

What kitty9 said.

Thousands cruise NCL every year, and have a perfectly lovely time. How do you account for all of those people (and the close to 2300 passengers on your ship) who had fun?

To say you didn't enjoy your cruise was an understatement. I'm sorry you didn't have a good time, but these were issues a little research and due diligence could have easily solved.

A cruise where EVERYTHING was wrong? ALL the food was terrible? All of it? There was absolutely NO worthy entertainment on board the ship? None? The only thing that could prevent me from having fun on a cruise is being in a coma. I'd have more sympathy/empathy for you if you'd done some research, didn't focus on the small stuff or actually made an effort to enjoy the great things a cruise vacation has to offer.

A well written letter or email to NCL might make you feel better and help improve the targets of your criticism. By all means, please let them know.

Cruising isn't for everyone, and maybe it's best that you discovered that early on. I think a land vacation with one destination would afford you greater control over your vacation experience than a cruise. Good luck to you.

Just noticed this (very old) thread and noticed in the super small font that the OP was expecting cream in her carbonara....? I've never eaten an Italian carbonara with cream in, maybe it was one of those packet sauces she was expecting...! If that was the case then i'm not sure OP is qualified to comment on the state of the food. My In-laws love NCL and have always said the food and entertainment are great!

I could not agree more with what you said.

People should do more research when they are

going to spend a couple of thousand dollars

for a vacation.

I really got a kick out of the statement

all the food was bad, really what were they

thinking.. So 2,300 passengers

must have complained a lot..

What kitty9 said.

Thousands cruise NCL every year, and have a perfectly lovely time. How do you account for all of those people (and the close to 2300 passengers on your ship) who had fun?

To say you didn't enjoy your cruise was an understatement. I'm sorry you didn't have a good time, but these were issues a little research and due diligence could have easily solved.

A cruise where EVERYTHING was wrong? ALL the food was terrible? All of it? There was absolutely NO worthy entertainment on board the ship? None? The only thing that could prevent me from having fun on a cruise is being in a coma. I'd have more sympathy/empathy for you if you'd done some research, didn't focus on the small stuff or actually made an effort to enjoy the great things a cruise vacation has to offer.

A well written letter or email to NCL might make you feel better and help improve the targets of your criticism. By all means, please let them know.

Cruising isn't for everyone, and maybe it's best that you discovered that early on. I think a land vacation with one destination would afford you greater control over your vacation experience than a cruise. Good luck to you.

Thank you for taking the time to write a long, long review. Most who contribute to this board know that cruising is not for everyone.

Go to Las Vegas for your next vacation. While the costs associated with a Las Vegas vacation have declined, Las Vegas is still an expensive vacation destination. I go to Las Vegas about three times a year because it is relatively close tomy home in California. And comparing Las Vegas with a cruise is comparing apples and oranges.

Is it really necessary to keep reopening a thread that was started over 15 months ago to reply to a poster who I can assure you won't ever be back to respond?

I wish people would pay attention to dates, and I wish Cruise Critic would lock these threads after they've been inactive for some established amount of time. This thread had been inactive for 10 months from December, 2010 until October, 2011 when someone reopened it for no reason at all...and now it just goes on and on and on...(and I've made it go on some more with this post :rolleyes:)

Is it really necessary to keep reopening a thread that was started over 15 months ago to reply to a poster who I can assure you won't ever be back to respond?

I wish people would pay attention to dates, and I wish Cruise Critic would lock these threads after they've been inactive for some established amount of time. This thread had been inactive for 10 months from December, 2010 until October, 2011 when someone reopened it for no reason at all...and now it just goes on and on and on...(and I've made it go on some more with this post :rolleyes:)

You make an excellent suggestion. Threads should be removed after a reasonable amount of time has elapsed. However, there are some aspects of cruising that have no time boundaries...cruising is not for everyone and maybe on these boards we should emphasize the downside of cruises rather than how addicted we are to this type of vacation/travel.

I totally agree! Lock these old threads.

Archived