Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
hat776

English vs American

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, OUR CAROL said:

We wash our own dirty mugs, I need the practice.  Just bung them in the machine at home.😉

How many mugs do you have now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tom47 said:

Ship tea bags have string tags.

Much safer than carrying a knife around for a cup of tea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

How many mugs do you have now?

I never thought of that, are you trying to suggest I may be a tea leaf? Never! Though it might be an idea to Nick a spoon for tea bag emergencies.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, OUR CAROL said:

I never thought of that, are you trying to suggest I may be a tea leaf? Never! Though it might be an idea to Nick a spoon for tea bag emergencies.😉

I was only asking, I wouldn't want to presume.😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I was only asking, I wouldn't want to presume.😋

Anyway, their mugs are not stylish enough to bother getting arrested for.😒

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, OUR CAROL said:

Anyway, their mugs are not stylish enough to bother getting arrested for.😒

Stealing those would be a mug's game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 5:11 PM, MicCanberra said:

How many mugs do you have now?

Including the HAL dam ships mugs given as trivia trophies (before they downgraded to ball point pens and key chains) more than we have room for in the cupboard above our coffee maker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

Including the HAL dam ships mugs given as trivia trophies (before they downgraded to ball point pens and key chains) more than we have room for in the cupboard above our coffee maker.

We had started to collect mugs for specific ships at one stage, either through prizes or by buying them but soon stopped as you can only store so many.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We had started to collect mugs for specific ships at one stage, either through prizes or by buying them but soon stopped as you can only store so many.

An honest man.😁 The best way is to win them then you definitely won't get arrested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you ever had anything taken off you when boarding a ship?  We had a cheese board with curved cheese knife confiscated from out visit to Madeira.  Goodness knows why they thought I was a danger to the public when knives are available in the self service restaurants, but hey ho.  I can see the headlines now .........  British woman goes on rampage with cheese knife.😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Including the HAL dam ships mugs given as trivia trophies (before they downgraded to ball point pens and key chains) more than we have room for in the cupboard above our coffee maker.

Prizes aren't what they used to be are they?  On PandO the prize for a quiz win was a bottle of wine last year but this year it's been downgraded to a sticker which you have to collect several of before you can claim a prize.🐒

 

 

Edited by OUR CAROL
Error

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, OUR CAROL said:

An honest man.😁 The best way is to win them then you definitely won't get arrested.

Yep, I try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OUR CAROL said:

Have you ever had anything taken off you when boarding a ship?  We had a cheese board with curved cheese knife confiscated from out visit to Madeira.  Goodness knows why they thought I was a danger to the public when knives are available in the self service restaurants, but hey ho.  I can see the headlines now .........  British woman goes on rampage with cheese knife.😉

Just wine (from ports after embarkation) which was held until the last night of the cruise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OUR CAROL said:

Have you ever had anything taken off you when boarding a ship?  We had a cheese board with curved cheese knife confiscated from out visit to Madeira.  Goodness knows why they thought I was a danger to the public when knives are available in the self service restaurants, but hey ho.  I can see the headlines now .........  British woman goes on rampage with cheese knife.😉

Just wise of them to take precautions with armed British women - it all goes back to Boadecea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Just wise of them to take precautions with armed British women - it all goes back to Boadecea.

Armed with a cheese knife, whisk and wooden spoon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OUR CAROL said:

Armed with a cheese knife, whisk and wooden spoon.

Don't forget about the egg flip/spatula.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Don't forget about the egg flip/spatula.

Rolling pin and tin opener.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

This is turning into an arms race.

My arms are aching, I give in.😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/13/2019 at 12:48 AM, navybankerteacher said:

Especially when you consider the actual meat that is traditionally put into a haggis.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made a pot of tea today and tried putting the milk in first.  I didn't taste a difference.  I remember a Rick Steves show where he was at an Irish B&B.  The B&B lady told him  put the milk in first, so this is a tradition for some people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

I made a pot of tea today and tried putting the milk in first.  I didn't taste a difference.  I remember a Rick Steves show where he was at an Irish B&B.  The B&B lady told him  put the milk in first, so this is a tradition for some people.

When making a quick cuppa in the mug, we add milk after the tea is infused to the desired strength. Adding milk too early cools down the water.

 

When making tea in the tea pot, we always heat the tea pot first, then make the tea with water on a rolling boil. We put a wee splash of milk in the cup before pouring in the tea. 

 

You will get a multitude of responses, but this is the old wives tale handed down by generations that I got from granny - at least the tea pot version, as she never owned mugs and never made tea in the cup.🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

When making a quick cuppa in the mug, we add milk after the tea is infused to the desired strength. Adding milk too early cools down the water.

 

When making tea in the tea pot, we always heat the tea pot first, then make the tea with water on a rolling boil. We put a wee splash of milk in the cup before pouring in the tea. 

 

You will get a multitude of responses, but this is the old wives tale handed down by generations that I got from granny - at least the tea pot version, as she never owned mugs and never made tea in the cup.🙂

I hope the notion of putting the milk in first means into the cup and then pouring in the brewed tea —- and not putting the milk in the cup or pot then adding the water and tea (in either order).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I hope the notion of putting the milk in first means into the cup and then pouring in the brewed tea —- and not putting the milk in the cup or pot then adding the water and tea (in either order).

I put the milk in the mug and poured tea from the pot.  When using a tea bag, I take the tea bag out before adding milk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter Now for a Chance to Win a 7-day Cruise for Two
      • Q&A with InsureMyTrip
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...