Cruise Critic Community
hat776

English vs American

14 hours ago, Tom47 said:

Trader Joe's sells Belgian Chocolate and gourmet cheese.

Oh dear Tom, you have found my Achilles heel.😱

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Actually, there is a Trader Joe's on Veterans Boulevard in Metairie - right next to central New Orleans - just a couple of miles from the French Quarter.

Lots of good info here.  We have never been there before any any tips would be useful when there's so much to explore.

26 minutes ago, OUR CAROL said:

Oh well there we are then, I am a bit of a tree hugger so everybody wins and I get to feel smug whilst sipping my medicine.

Better than drinking something that may be harmful.

Didn’t read the whole thread but when I was in 6th grade a new girl from England asked on her second day the boy sitting next to her in math class if she could borrow his rubber.  Took the teacher 10 minutes to regain control of the class.

FYI: What the Brits call a rubber, Americans call an eraser.  In US rubber is slang for condom.  

I went to my 55th high school(secondary) reunion a few days ago.  We shared memories.  I remembered a Jesuit priest talking about men and women choosing to become priests/nuns.  He said "Would that all girls would go all the way."

The class of 17/18 year old boys erupted.  He looked at us in utter amazement, not realizing what he said.

😊😊

17 minutes ago, Tom47 said:

I went to my 55th high school(secondary) reunion a few days ago.  We shared memories.  I remembered a Jesuit priest talking about men and women choosing to become priests/nuns.  He said "Would that all girls would go all the way."

The class of 17/18 year old boys erupted.  He looked at us in utter amazement, not realizing what he said.

😊😊

Amen to that brother!  I have memories of going to a Franciscan College back in the early seventies.

In high scool we had a principal who used his first initials, R.S..  Three boys were walking down the hall with R.S. approaching.

One boy pointed to his backside and said my 'S'.  Then he pointed to one of his buddies backside and said your 'S'.  And then he pointed to the approaching Principal and said 'R.S.'.  You talk about fireworks!  I'm glad it wasn't me in that group!  There was talk about them not being able to graduate because of that.  But boy, it was sure funny!

What an interesting thread!

I am a Brit living in the USA.

I love my tea! I carry my own tea bags when traveling. I do not trust cruise ship tea, and American tea is weak.

I drink “ lifeboat tea”. A part of the proceeds goes to the lifeboat society in England. 

Fortunately I can purchase the tea through Amazon.

so when cruising I pack enough for three cups per day..plus a few extra for “ just in case”

The original reason for adding the milk to the cup first is because the cups were often porcelain. You did not want to pour boiling water into it without using a spot of milk to cushion the shock.

” Difference in spelling”

often words got different spelling because everything was done by scribes..and scribes were paid by the characters.  “ Color” or Colour”.. which paid better?

3 hours ago, bowsprit said:

I love my tea! I carry my own tea bags when traveling. I do not trust cruise ship tea, and American tea is weak.

I drink “ lifeboat tea”. A part of the proceeds goes to the lifeboat society in England. 

so when cruising I pack enough for three cups per day..plus a few extra for “ just in case”

Of course, once you get to know a line it is easier.  Cunard always has Lapsang Souchong - on most other mass market lines you are lucky if they have ANYTHING with character.  But tea bags are small and light - always bring more than you anticipate needing:  never can tell when a grey day at sea will call for more than three cups.

Oh I know lines lol

and they all have what I consider to be weak tea.

and on Cunard.. they do have good teas, and in a pinch I can manage, but why settle for something that I really do not care for? It is easier just to take my own.

Although Lapsang  Souchong is popular, I do not care for it....so back to carrying my own.🙄

but I appreciate your suggestion.

4 hours ago, bowsprit said:

The original reason for adding the milk to the cup first is because the cups were often porcelain. You did not want to pour boiling water into it without using a spot of milk to cushion the shock.

” Difference in spelling”

often words got different spelling because everything was done by scribes..and scribes were paid by the characters.  “ Color” or Colour”.. which paid better?

Interesting information about milk and spelling.  I'm allergic to coffee.  I am comfortable with tea available on Celebrity, RCI and Azamara.

5 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

My favourite tea is Lipton or Twinnings.

I am using Lipton tea bags, although my favorite is Irish breakfast.  On cruises I ask for English breakfast.

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

My favourite tea is Lipton or Twinnings.

Mic,

You won't get it on Millenium.  Just got off the Millenium and all they had was some 'famous' off brand named Field and Stream.

The Earl Grey had not a hint of oil of Bergemont.  Vile.  But in all fairness,they ARE trying to cut costs and that justifies any alternatives to real tea.

Field and Stream - grass cuttings brewed in ditchwater spring to mind. (BTW I'm a Brit and I dislike tea).

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I will have to stick to coffee in the morning and beer in the afternoon.

Mic,

No sense changing drinks every day.  Just go with the beer from dawn to dusk.

You'll be much happier.

1 hour ago, SteveH2508 said:

Field and Stream - grass cuttings brewed in ditchwater spring to mind. (BTW I'm a Brit and I dislike tea).

You're a Brit and don't like tea???!  Your very first cuppa must have been the  Field and Stream brand brewed in ditchwater.

A good cuppa Earl Grey will set you back on the right track.

True history: That tea party thing in Boston had nothing to do with taxation!  That ship was carrying a load of Field and Stream tea!

And that's the real reason Yanks prefer coffee instead.

Just look at Mic from Canberra.  He now prefers coffee way down in Australia!

Celebrity must have got a heckuva deal on a shipload (sp.?) of the F&S tea.

7 hours ago, 1980dory said:

Mic,

No sense changing drinks every day.  Just go with the beer from dawn to dusk.

You'll be much happier.

Yeah but my wife won't be.

7 hours ago, 1980dory said:

You're a Brit and don't like tea???!  Your very first cuppa must have been the  Field and Stream brand brewed in ditchwater.

A good cuppa Earl Grey will set you back on the right track.

True history: That tea party thing in Boston had nothing to do with taxation!  That ship was carrying a load of Field and Stream tea!

And that's the real reason Yanks prefer coffee instead.

Just look at Mic from Canberra.  He now prefers coffee way down in Australia!

Celebrity must have got a heckuva deal on a shipload (sp.?) of the F&S tea.

They probably got paid to take it.

On 9/25/2019 at 10:56 AM, 1980dory said:

Mic,

You won't get it on Millenium.  Just got off the Millenium and all they had was some 'famous' off brand named Field and Stream.

The Earl Grey had not a hint of oil of Bergemont.  Vile.  But in all fairness,they ARE trying to cut costs and that justifies any alternatives to real tea.

Fields and Selects!

Celebrity also stocks London Tea brand.

39 minutes ago, shipgeeks said:

Fields and Selects!

Celebrity also stocks London Tea brand.

Thank you!  And it still tastes like Field and Stream!  And still no oil of bergemont in the Earl Grey!

Is the London Tea brand also as good as F&S?

I'm just off Azamara Journey.  They had Twinings English Breakfast tea.

1 hour ago, Tom47 said:

I'm just off Azamara Journey.  They had Twinings English Breakfast tea.

Thanks for the info.  Time to start looking at Azamara for a good cuppa.

Interesting info on the tea. I know that I can get twinings etc on most cruise lines that we frequent. But I find that although it says Twinings or Brooke Bond etc. it seems to be “ watered down” for other countries tastes.

or perhaps when I was growing up, tea in England was much stronger.

whatever the reason,  I prefer a brand from England  called “ Lifeboat”

it is nice and strong, a lot of times people think that I am drinking coffee. And a part of the proceeds go to the  Lifeboat Society in England.

I buy it by the case. And I don't leave home without it 🥰

it may not be everyones “ cup of tea”, but if you like strong tea, give it a try.