Spring Break 2011 - 2 cruise choices - help!

Joyous1022

First time cruisers - myself and 17 yr old son and possibly 16 yr old GF. We have narrowed our choices to the following two cruises. We are open to suggestions/comments. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

#1 - 7 Day Eastern Caribbean from Miami, FL

Carnival Liberty Sails on Saturday, April 02, 2011

#2 - 7 Day Southern Caribbean from San Juan, Puerto Rico

Carnival Victory Sails on Sunday, April 03, 2011

If you never cruised before, I would keep it simple. Cruise from Miami. I did less than a month ago, got a 5 star hotel for $84 near the port, (go to the Florida depature board to reseach what deals people recommend). I actually wound up taking the city bus to the hotel from the airport for $2 and the people on the bus helped me do the transfer. There was a real customer service terminal in the airport, so I walked over to talk to them and she even walked me thru buying the right ticket so it didnt cost extra to transfer.

We came back for a day and then did a short 4 day on Majesty a day later, so stayed at the hotel in between too and took the city bus again to S. Beach and it happened to be Halloween night. So that was extra fun. Iv never been in Miami before, so I thought it was easy.

Here is my take for first time cruisers and teenage cruisers...take the Eastern.

First off Im in Ohio also and I leave with teenagers in 2 weeks on Victory,

airfare is about double, Victory is a bit smaller and older ship. I know when my kids first went they wanted a big new ship. Liberty is not new but is a newer bigger ship.

Also travel is alitte easier out of Miami and Im assuming your intenerary is Nassau, St Thomas, San Juan and Grand Turk with 2 at sea days. I think you need those 2 or 3 sea days to really enjoy the ship and get a good mix of cruising.

San Juan is very port intensive with full days in port and in the past no at sea days. There is one now with the deletion of Dominica.

I would put that xtra money that you are going to pay for airfare towards your next cruise if they like it. Southern can be for anyone but I really think its more for the 3 or 4 time cruiser. One thing to keep in mind with Victory is it is very diverse in the passenger culture. All overhead messages are also in spanish for the many Latino passengers. Barbados is also an embarking/debarking port for this cruise so you will see a considerable mix of ethnic culture and background. Certainly not anything wrong with that but as a first cruise it could be a bit overwhelming. I personally like it as we have cruised alot and I enjoy new found diversity but Im not so sure I would have appreciated it as a first time cruiser.

Either way Carnival is a great choice and Im sure you will have a blast.

I would go with Liberty simply for the stop at Half Moon Cay. If you and your son enjoy the beach you wont find a more beautiful beach than Half Moon. The Southern intenerary has too many port days for me. Since this will be your first cruise you might also want do some research before choosing your cabin. On our first cruise I learned not to book a cabin under the Lido pool.:p Welcome the cruising!

Archived