Hotel near cruise terminal Tokyo ?

rojaan19

I am hoping for some recommendations of a hotel near the cruise terminal in Tokyo. We have stayed many times in Tokyo - but nowhere near Harumi Odiaba which on a google search comes up as the area of the cruise terminal. We are on the Shadow next May Tokyo to Anchorage.

Thanks so much for your input

Ann

Ann,

there are three hotels in the vicinity:

1. Hotel Nikko(JAL) Tokyo www.hnt.co.jp

2.Hotel Grand pacific LE DAIBA www.grandpacific.jp

3.Tokyo Bay Ariake Washington Hotel www.ariake-wh.com

However, they are rather "high level business hotels" in the opinion of my dear (Japanese) wife. If you prefer first class hotel, The Imperial or The Peninsula are not far from the area:

http://www.imperialhotel.co.jp/e/

http://www.peninsula.com/Tokyo

Ann,

However, they are rather "high level business hotels" in the opinion of my dear (Japanese) wife. If you prefer first class hotel, The Imperial or The Peninsula are not far from the area:

Ask the wife about the Eden hotel if you would please. This is the hotel that they want about $340 a night for through the cruise line for the May Silver Shadow cruise.

Ann,

[[/i]

I have stayed at the New Otani Hotel before many years ago. How far is it from the cruise port?

Ask the wife about the Eden hotel if you would please. This is the hotel that they want about $340 a night for through the cruise line for the May Silver Shadow cruise.

I just googled the Eden Hotel Tokyo - and it comes up as the Royal Park Shiodome Tower!! which according to the hotel website is 25 minutes by train from the cruise terminal area.

Ann

I just googled the Eden Hotel Tokyo - and it comes up as the Royal Park Shiodome Tower!! which according to the hotel website is 25 minutes by train from the cruise terminal area.

Ann

Thanks, My travel agent said that that was the hotel that Silverseas would book us into (Eden) and then we of course would have the travel transfer package.

If we were going to have one day in Tokyo I would like to be downtown so to speak. I think the New Otani is downtown, but don't know how far it is from the cruise ship terminal. We still haven't decided whether to use the Silversea travel arrangements or book our own flights. I have asked my travel agent to break down the prices. I usually like to book my own flights and make own arrangements even if it cost more. Just take a cab from the airport to the hotel and a cab from hotel to crusie port.

Thanks, My travel agent said that that was the hotel that Silverseas would book us into (Eden) and then we of course would have the travel transfer package.

If we were going to have one day in Tokyo I would like to be downtown so to speak. We still haven't decided whether to use the Silversea travel arrangements or book our own flights.

Hi Joe

So are you booked on the Shadow Tokyo - Anchorage 17 May too ?

We decided to stay at the Nikko as it is only a 5 minute taxi ride to the cruise terminal. We arrive in late the night before after having a week in Bangkok. This will be our first "real" cruise - we have only been on expedition cruises and they have all been great.

Ann

Hi Joe

So are you booked on the Shadow Tokyo - Anchorage 17 May too ?

We decided to stay at the Nikko as it is only a 5 minute taxi ride to the cruise terminal. We arrive in late the night before after having a week in Bangkok. This will be our first "real" cruise - we have only been on expedition cruises and they have all been great.

Ann

Ann,

We are tentatively scheduled for the Silver Shadow out of Tokyo May 17, 2011. We will be travelling with another couple from Blackpool, England.

We met some great people from Australia on the Silver Whisper last October. However, I think that most of the passengers were from the UK

We are planning on spending two nights so we should have one day in Tokyo to walk around and I thought it would be nice to be in the so called downtown area or be able to tube around easily. We don't have any plans for hotel firmed up yet. That Peninsula had a $749 per night rate as the lowest if I read it correctly. What rate do you have at the NIkko?

I have been on 41 cruises if I include the Dec 09 to Antarctica on the Russian Professor Multanovskiy. My wife did not want to go on that one.

Hi Joe,

For the Nikko we got a rate of Y19,000 ( approx $US 230) that includes breakfast and taxes.

We have been to Tokyo many times and we usually stay at either the Westin - which has an underground station attached, or the Sheraton Miyako which has a hotel shuttle to the nearest train station. Both are easy for getting around Tokyo IMO. The Conrad was very good too.

Ann

Joe,

the New Otani in Akasaka is probably about 30min from the cruise terminal (depending traffic). As you have stayed there before you will know that this is a HUGE hotel catering primarily to international (USA) business people. Close to several subway stations and thus easy to get around, but rather impersonal. My personal favourite is the Mandarin Oriental, but it does not come cheap...

Hi Joe,

For the Nikko we got a rate of Y19,000 ( approx $US 230) that includes breakfast and taxes.

We have been to Tokyo many times and we usually stay at either the Westin - which has an underground station attached, or the Sheraton Miyako which has a hotel shuttle to the nearest train station. Both are easy for getting around Tokyo IMO. The Conrad was very good too.

Ann

Ann,

Thanks for the info. The price looks better than what I have seen. How much trouble is it to get downtown (tube trains etc) from the Nikko if we have a full day in Tokyo? I haven't been to Tokyo in 37 years. This Nikko is closer to the Cruise port I would guess. Do you know how far from the downtown area the Nikko is? How far from downtown Tokyo, is the cruise port in time?

My wife has never been to Tokyo and I'm sure she would love the downtown shopping district if it is still there.

Do people still go up in the Tokyo tower?

Ann,

Thanks for the info. The price looks better than what I have seen. How much trouble is it to get downtown (tube trains etc) from the Nikko if we have a full day in Tokyo? I haven't been to Tokyo in 37 years. This Nikko is closer to the Cruise port I would guess. Do you know how far from the downtown area the Nikko is? How far from downtown Tokyo, is the cruise port in time?

My wife has never been to Tokyo and I'm sure she would love the downtown shopping district if it is still there.

Do people still go up in the Tokyo tower?

Hi Joe,

I think the rate is OK too, booking early can have an advantage. The Nikko is only a 5 minute taxi ride to the cruise terminal. And it is on the Airport Bus run which makes it easy to get to on arrival. Check out these websites - they might help

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/regional/tokyo/index.html

http://www.tourism.metro.tokyo.jp/english/index.html

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

You will notice a huge difference after 37 years ! The Ginza is still a main shopping area, probably best at night because of the lights, and the Tokyo Tower is a still a major attraction. Getting around is easy with the super efficient train system. Each trip we tend to concentrate on an area as Tokyo is so huge now and there is so much to see.

Ann

Hi Joe,

I think the rate is OK too, booking early can have an advantage. The Nikko is only a 5 minute taxi ride to the cruise terminal. And it is on the Airport Bus run which makes it easy to get to on arrival. Check out these websites - they might help

http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/regional/tokyo/index.html

http://www.tourism.metro.tokyo.jp/english/index.html

http://www.limousinebus.co.jp/en/

You will notice a huge difference after 37 years ! The Ginza is still a main shopping area, probably best at night because of the lights, and the Tokyo Tower is a still a major attraction. Getting around is easy with the super efficient train system. Each trip we tend to concentrate on an area as Tokyo is so huge now and there is so much to see.

Ann

Thanks for all that information. How long would it take to get from Nikko to Ginza via train system?

Thanks for all that information. How long would it take to get from Nikko to Ginza via train system?

According to Google Maps it would take 35 minutes by train. :)

From the Hotel Nikko website -

" Hotel Nikko Tokyo is located in waterfront area of Odaiba, where only 15minutes from Shimbashi / Ginza shopping district by Yurikamome-line, and easy access from Narita International Airport (80min) and Haneda Airport (20min) by Limousine Bus.

For business travelers, it takes only 10min from Tokyo Big Sight. For leisure, three big shopping malls are located within walk distance from the hotel, and free shuttle bus is available to Tokyo Disney Resort "

" Hotel Nikko Tokyo is located in waterfront area of Odaiba, where only 15minutes from Shimbashi / Ginza shopping district by Yurikamome-line, and easy access from Narita International Airport (80min) and Haneda Airport (20min) by Limousine Bus.

For business travelers, it takes only 10min from Tokyo Big Sight. For leisure, three big shopping malls are located within walk distance from the hotel, and free shuttle bus is available to Tokyo Disney Resort "

Ann,

You are a very good information source. Thanks. That Nikko hotel seems like a nice choice. Seems like I remember a Japanese Nikko Hotel somewhere in travels that was just pure white all over inside and out. Can't remember where. That Yurikamome line I read from your information sources is suppose to be an attraction in itself.

Joe,

the New Otani in Akasaka is probably about 30min from the cruise terminal (depending traffic). As you have stayed there before you will know that this is a HUGE hotel catering primarily to international (USA) business people. Close to several subway stations and thus easy to get around, but rather impersonal. My personal favourite is the Mandarin Oriental, but it does not come cheap...

Thanks for the information. Didin'td remember the exact location of the New Otani. I remembered a tea house and nice grounds.

Ann,

Vance & Beryl, Jan and I will be staying at the Nikko.

Ann,

Vance & Beryl, Jan and I will be staying at the Nikko.

We arrive late at the hotel on Monday 16th probably between 10 and 11pm. We are only coming from Bangkok so no jet lag to worry about. :)

Maybe we could all meet for breakfast on Tuesday morning ??

Ann

We arrive late at the hotel on Monday 16th probably between 10 and 11pm. We are only coming from Bangkok so no jet lag to worry about. :)

Maybe we could all meet for breakfast on Tuesday morning ??

Ann

Sounds like a plan. e-mail me at scapel@suddenlink.net and we can make more arrangements as things get closer. I'll tell you my story on getting in the Nikko.

OK Joe, I have sent you an email.

Ann,

I have not received the e-mail as of Dec.14/10 at 6:45 PM CST USA. I will watch my mail washer program very carefully for it if you send it again. Possibly it got put in the spam. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Ann,

Hey, thanks for posting that. I went with Ann and booked the Nikko for my wife and I and another couple. Looks like a nice hotel and and another poster gave some good information on getting around Tokyo.

Thanks for the links.

I downloaded an Iphone App that will translate into Japanese. Of course it is in writing. I will have to ask the question so that the answer will be just yes or no. The app doesn't have a Japanese keyboard for the respondent to type in Japenese. HA!

Edited by scapel

Joe,

do itashi ma****e (you are welcome) and Akema****e omedeto gosaimas (Happy New Year).

(Sorry for the asteriks but the "bad words checker" on cruise critic automatically put **** instead of "s" "h" "i" "t" even if those letter are part of a Japanese word....) :rolleyes:

We were in Tokyo over Christmas and saw that the cruise terminal area has been developed nicely. Hope you enjoy it and the cruise!

Hey, thanks for posting that. I went with Ann and booked the Nikko for my wife and I and another couple. Looks like a nice hotel and and another poster gave some good information on getting around Tokyo.

Thanks for the links.

I downloaded an Iphone App that will translate into Japanese. Of course it is in writing. I will have to ask the question so that the answer will be just yes or no. The app doesn't have a Japanese keyboard for the respondent to type in Japenese. HA!

I forgot to mention that the best thing about the Nikko is that it has a balcony that you can smoke on. (Just in case you decide to start smoking again !)

;-)

CJ