Lanyards?

ramby

We are sailing of Royal Caribbean for the first time and will have have our children with us. Do you think I should buy those lanyard type wallets for the kids to hold their sail cards/room keys so they can wear them around their necks? Or does the ship provide such a thing for children? Any other suggestions to help us stay organized with a large family? I already saw the recommendation for highlighter, post it notes, over the rack shoe bag. Just don't want to buy a bunch of junk that we won't wind up using. Thanks!

Hi, posting from JOS, even as we speak coming back from the 11 day caribbean cruise.

RC does not provide lanyards. You may buy and choose from about 4 different kinds in the stores on board. I wear one because I am paranoid about losing my card. My son (11) wears one as well. Otherwise they just keep the cards in the room or give them to dad or just try and keep track of them! We didnt lose any cards, but if we did it is easy to replace them, but in theory somebody could run up a bill if they found your card, so keep track of them.

We now think that sticky notes would have been handy to have if you have tween children and young teens. To stick on the door and such to tell people where you are etc. I really dont want to carry a walkie talkie around all the time, and I am sure my kids would lose at least one.

Sometimes the children's program has them, but not always. I've gone to an office store and gotten a 5 pack of lanyards with just the clips on them for the kids -- the pouch gets kind of bulky, and the guest services desk has a hole punch available.

Unless your kids are old enough to roam about on their own, you should control their seapass...a lanyard is great for kids who are old enough to come and go on their own.

You can probably find them before you leave, in stores that carry sporting goods and stuff like that.

On all our cruises our DD did get a kid safe lanyard when she signed into the Adventure Ocean on the first day. It´s kid safe - meaning it opens when you pull hard on it. Kids´ seapass cards do have a hole in them anyway so you can put them on a lanyard.

steamboats

We are sailing of Royal Caribbean for the first time and will have have our children with us. Do you think I should buy those lanyard type wallets for the kids to hold their sail cards/room keys so they can wear them around their necks? Or does the ship provide such a thing for children? Any other suggestions to help us stay organized with a large family? I already saw the recommendation for highlighter, post it notes, over the rack shoe bag. Just don't want to buy a bunch of junk that we won't wind up using. Thanks!

This would be one of those items. I don't know what people bring with them that they feel a need for one of these. We have had our family of four in an oceanview twice and never needed a shoe bag. For us at least, there is plenty of storage in the cabin.

The Dollar stores sell lanyards. We (family of four, two teenagers) always end up losing a card or two, and always get extras for the kids' room when we embark. Guest Services will give you another card (or two or three) if you need it. Forget the over the door organizer too. I take a mini highlighter for the Compass and a mini flashlight (again from the dollar store) to make sure nothing gets left under the bed in my kids' room or in the safes. I have brought rain ponchos too (dollar store again) but have never used them (maybe because I bring them???).

I use a lanyard for me just so it's easier to keep track of my card. I don't necessarily wear it on my neck but just having on the lanyard makes it easier for me to keep track of where I put it.

I use one too Ms Cyndi...with much teasing from my adult kids & sister :o Have taken to putting it inside my blouse, so it's not blowing in the wind while on deck and less visible when going a shore.

When I'm not out & about on board, I hang it on the outside door handle of the bathroom door. Easy to grab as I exit the cabin, and definitely helps me keep track of where I might have placed it :rolleyes:

We bring lanyards and an inexpensive hole punch with us. The line at guest services can be quite long to wait for a hole punch - and we met some nice people that way that were also in need of a punch! We found that the lanyards given to the kids at Adventure Ocean broke easily.

I made one for my last trip out of pretty ribbon and a jump ring or key chain ring.

Lanyards were especially great for getting on and off the ship because it didn't even have to come off their neck.

Archived