Horrible Timing

hamfiveo

I was playing hockey tonight and took a puck right in the face... Had to get stitches to close up the wound...

Now for the great news... I'm leaving for the Valor next Sunday!!!!! Worst timing ever!!! I can't get the stitches wet, so there goes my snorkeling.

I'm so disappointed.

Poor thing. You'll look real good in the pictures also. :p

The stitches have to stay in that long? They have Doctors and Nurses on the ship that can remove the stitches for you if you're scheduled to get them out while you're on the cruise.

Take care and next time, duck!

I was playing hockey tonight and took a puck right in the face... Had to get stitches to close up the wound...

Now for the great news... I'm leaving for the Valor next Sunday!!!!! Worst timing ever!!! I can't get the stitches wet, so there goes my snorkeling.

I'm so disappointed.

duct tape and a little foundation should work - only kidding - like other poster said - you may be able to get stitches removed - although may cost you. I've had stitches and the longest I had them was a week but then yours may be different. At least you didn't break a cheek bone so you can make the cruise - a little battered and oh what a story you could make up - stopped a robbery, saved a damsel in distress - milk it buddy. Have a great cruise

It looks like Cozumel is one of the scheduled stops for the Valor.

They have hard hat diving, so that you can get a taste without getting your face wet.

Possibly some of the other stops will offer something similar.

The charges in the medical center on the ship is very affordable, so even if they did charge you, it wouldn't be much.

I had my cast cut off on the Inspiration in January because it was killing me and I misunderstood the doctor when he said it would come off in 4 weeks. What he meant was he would re-xray it in 4 weeks and maybe it would be healed, or as was my case, it wasn't! But the nurse on the ship was so excited to have something to do, she didn't charge me.

Depending on how many stitches and when they are too come out you may be able to get your face wet. From what I understand part of the reason they do not want them getting wet is because it will cause them to fall out. f they are scheduled to come out them it may not be that bad. Also there are very good waterproof band aids that protect the skin. Maybe you could put that on when your face is in the water

The first thing I thought when I read this post was....well, at least you stopped the puck! My 11 year old son is a defenceman and I tell him all the time, get infront of the puck, it will only hurt for a bit lol

Hope you have a great cruise anyway.

I'm so disappointed.

The bad news....I bet that really hurt!

The good news....You're going on a cruise!!! Have fun! :)

Stitches need sometimes to be left in place for up to 14 days (for example, if the wound is in a flex location on the extremities). However, on the face this would be extremely unlikely. In fact, most doctors try to have facial stitches removed within 5 days, since a longer period is more likely to lead to permanent scarring. (It takes about that long for the stitches to start interacting with the skin.)

I would see your doctor again to see if he/she can have them removed in 5 days (and sometimes replaced by less interactive closures). An ER is also a good place to have stitches removed -- ER doctors have a lot more experience in that then your family physician. If not, I agree that a visit to the ship infirmary as soon as possible is what I would do.

Swimming with stitches in place is a no-no.

Bill

Swimming with stitches in place is a no-no.

Bill

Correct! It's not about the water causing them to come out, it's more about an opening in the skin that bacteria in the water can enter. I'd check and see if they can come out just before you leave.

I think likely your doctor will want to remove them before you go on your cruise. I'd still wait at least a couple of days from the time they are out, to getting in the water. At least check with your doctor to see when it would be ok to go snorkeling, get in a hot tub, etc.

I was told to leave them in for 10 days. He gave me a kit to take them out myself which is good... looks like the gf will be doing the surgery. I just may inquire at the infirmary if there will be a charge. If not, I will have them do it.

Funny thing was, they gave me a tetanus shot while i was there, and my arm currently hurts more than my face.

I was told to leave them in for 10 days. He gave me a kit to take them out myself which is good... looks like the gf will be doing the surgery. I just may inquire at the infirmary if there will be a charge. If not, I will have them do it.

Funny thing was, they gave me a tetanus shot while i was there, and my arm currently hurts more than my face.

If you have a good roll call going you may also find a Dr. or nurse over there that would do it for you. Have a wonderful cruise!

I had to comment on this because it cracks me up every time! I dislocated my elbow, and was in the ER. The doc gave me a shot for pain and then put my elbow back in place. 2 min later, I had NO pain in my elbow(at all, ever again), but where he gave me the shot was sore for like 3 days!! When I was in the army, they said once you get a shot to move the arm up and down-that it would make it less painful- but that did NOT work for this shot!!

The first thing I thought when I read this post was....well, at least you stopped the puck! My 11 year old son is a defenceman and I tell him all the time, get infront of the puck, it will only hurt for a bit lol

Hope you have a great cruise anyway.

Boy you Canadien fans are die hards - been there done it. I have had my nose broken 4 times, once with a puck, twice with a baseball and once with a lawn mower (don't ask) and I am female. Like another poster said, they do have really good waterproof band aids, if you want to chance it, depending on where you are in the healing process

Waterproof band-aids work well. My neice got a tetnus shot while her last was apparently still "working". It caused a reaction that was painful and swollen but harmless. Don't let anyone give you another tetnus for 5 years, tell them you had a reaction. Oh, next time duck!

I'm so disappointed.

So, I hope you stopped the goal from being scored!!

Waterproof band-aids work well. My neice got a tetnus shot while her last was apparently still "working". It caused a reaction that was painful and swollen but harmless. Don't let anyone give you another tetnus for 5 years, tell them you had a reaction. Oh, next time duck!

I was about to suggest the waterproof band-aids too! Also, there is a thin, tape-like barrier that my mom wore over an IV to keep water and germs out. Maybe your doc could give you one, just for the short snorkel trip? I think this is the stuff:

http://www.desertmedicalessentials.com/product_info.php?products_id=28727&osCsid=93f658ceb2eb03518fd8a5feac4ae2a9

If you have a good roll call going you may also find a Dr. or nurse over there that would do it for you. Have a wonderful cruise!

As a nurse, I personally would not take the stitches out under these circumstances. Too many liability issues. Better to let the infirmary handle it.

(Just my own little humble opinion. Others may or may not agree and that's ok :))

As a nurse, I personally would not take the stitches out under these circumstances. Too many liability issues. Better to let the infirmary handle it.

(Just my own little humble opinion. Others may or may not agree and that's ok :))

He is a hockey player from Ontario, Canada. No worries, eh!:D

I would do it for someone. My DH had to decide if a woman on a plane coming back from Florida who had just been in the hospital, who fainted on the plane before take off was ok to stay on the plane. He had 150 sets of eyeballs on him when the flight attendant asked him that question. We also helped aid a person having a seizure in the airport and nearly missed our flight. We figure if it were us we would hope a Dr. or nurse would help us out.

Archived