Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Anni,

We will be docking in Warnemunde in June (Celebrity Eclipse) and are thinking of hiring a car. Do you know of any companies that would deliver a car direct to us in the Cruise Terminal / Dock? I've had a look on line and I'm not having much joy. Many thanks. Sue

Thanks Anni for the wonderful information about trains and places to see. I have a question about Mecklenburg Lander Ticket. Can I buy the ticket at train station or I need to buy ahead of time? I am undecided on taking the train or renting a car. A friend ( the whole family of 4) of mine almost miss the ship because of train track change/not knowing the language/etc. They had to 'jump' from small boat to big ship.

Jin

Edited by happy05

Thanks Anni for the wonderful information about trains and places to see. I have a question about Mecklenburg Lander Ticket. Can I buy the ticket at train station or I need to buy ahead of time? I am undecided on taking the train or renting a car. A friend ( the whole family of 4) of mine almost miss the ship because of train track change/not knowing the language/etc. They had to 'jump' from small boat to big ship.

Jin

Hi, you can most certainly buy the ticket at a station, either from a machine or the office (slightly higher cost), using either cash or credit card. The machines are very easy with touch screens in English and I will be posting a 'how to use' with pictures at a later date.

Sorry to hear of your friends misfortune. It can easily happen when you do not know the language but Germany is better than most other European countries in this regard. Large, main-line stations like Berlin and Hamburg announce in English as well as German. All stations have electronic information boards (train number, destination, intermediate stops and departure time) both in a central position and on the individual platforms. When a late change happens an announcement is made and the boards change immediately giving all the new information. My tip; if everyone moves off the platform after an announcement you don't understand check the platform board, ask someone or just follow!!

Of course car rental gives you more freedom but you have to allow for long delays in the summer time.The traffic jams can be huge, several kilometers long and hardly moving, especially at the weekends.

Happy planning :)

Anni

Thanks Anni, we will be in on Monday, 6/27 and probably not going to Berlin. Do you think we will ok with traffic jams?:)

Hi, sorry if I scared you!

The intention was just to warn you to factor traffic delays into your plans and leave plenty of time to get back. Better to have time for a walk around Warnemünde than miss the ship.

You should be OK that day. Not a public holiday and before school vacation starts.

Happy planning :)

Anni

Hi Anni, we will be in Warnemunde on July 21st on the Emerald Princess. We pan on going to Berlin to meet up with our former exchange student and his family who live in Berlin. We do not want to pay the high price of the "Berlin on your own" shore excursion that our ship offers. We would like to go on our own and take the train. If you can provide information on times and prices, we would really appreciate it! :)

Hi Anni, we will be in Warnemunde on July 21st on the Emerald Princess. We pan on going to Berlin to meet up with our former exchange student and his family who live in Berlin. We do not want to pay the high price of the "Berlin on your own" shore excursion that our ship offers. We would like to go on our own and take the train. If you can provide information on times and prices, we would really appreciate it! :)

Hi,

Unfortunately your ship docks too late for the only direct train from Warnemünde to Berlin. All others involve just one or two changes. Here is the timetable;

Warnemümde dep 8.02am / 8.37am / 10.07am

Rostock Hbf dep 8.34am / 9.07am§ /10.34am

Berlin Hbf arr 11.14am /12.29pm /1.14pm

§ this train requires a change in Schwerin

The RE return service from Berlin is two hourly up to 8.45pm but if my information re your sailing time (10pm) is correct the last possible train to catch would be the RE dep Berlin 4.45pm arr Rostock 7.24pm or the direct ICE dep Berlin at 6.06pm arr Warnemünde 8.45pm.

The difference here is that if you return on the ICE you pay the standard fare €73.20 per person return whereas on the RE one Mecklenburg Lander ticket (€20 plus €3 for each person up to 5 persons) and one Brandenburg Lander Ticket (€28 for up to 5 persons) covers all fares including Berlin public transport.

Alternatively, it is a very easy 2 hour drive on the Autobahn to Berlin .

Happy planning, hope this helps :)

Anni

Hi Anni: We will be in Warnemuede on Jume 23rd and plan to spend the day between the port and Rostock. Which order would you recommend in visiting the towns. We will take the train to Rostock and the ferry if available or private boat back. The train station seems easily accessible from the port and the cost is resonable. Is Rostock worth seeing after dark?

Schwerin seems interesting if you can provide information as to how to get there.

I have looked on the internet and find it hard to find maps of either town!

Looking forward to visiting your beautiful area.

Dave

Hi Anni: We will be in Warnemuede on Jume 23rd and plan to spend the day between the port and Rostock. Which order would you recommend in visiting the towns. We will take the train to Rostock and the ferry if available or private boat back. The train station seems easily accessible from the port and the cost is resonable. Is Rostock worth seeing after dark?

Schwerin seems interesting if you can provide information as to how to get there.

I have looked on the internet and find it hard to find maps of either town!

Looking forward to visiting your beautiful area.

Dave

Hi Dave,

We have ships berthing in both ports on that day but I am assuming that as you mention Warnemünde your ship is the Norwegian Sun and will answer your queries accordingly.

The ship berths literally alongside the railway line and from the gate to the station platform is a 5 minute walk. Trains depart every 15 mins and arrive Rostock Central station 20 mins later. The city centre is a 5 min tram ride from the station. One ticket, €1.70, covers the whole journey - train and tram.

The boat from Rostock to Warnemünde is a privately operated pleasure cruiser, there is no ferry as such. ie part of the public transport system.

I would recommend visiting Rostock in the morning, taking the boat back during the early afternoon and exploring Warnemünde in the evening. It is much more pleasant for an evening stroll than Rostock and you are only 10 mins from the ship.

Schwerin is an interesting place. Trains depart Rostock every two hours from 9.07am and depart Schwerin every two hours up to 7.53pm. The trip takes just under 1 hour. The Mecklenburg Lander ticket is valid for these trains. (€20 for one person plus €3 for each additional person up to 5, travel all day)

The following web site is worth browsing:-

www.schwerin.com/english

and for maps

www.worldmapfinder.com/Map_EarthMap.php?ID=/En/Europe/Germany/Rostock

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/map/google_map_Schwerin.htm

Anni

Hi Dave,

We have ships berthing in both ports on that day but I am assuming that as you mention Warnemünde your ship is the Norwegian Sun and will answer your queries accordingly.

The ship berths literally alongside the railway line and from the gate to the station platform is a 5 minute walk. Trains depart every 15 mins and arrive Rostock Central station 20 mins later. The city centre is a 5 min tram ride from the station. One ticket, €1.70, covers the whole journey - train and tram.

The boat from Rostock to Warnemünde is a privately operated pleasure cruiser, there is no ferry as such. ie part of the public transport system.

I would recommend visiting Rostock in the morning, taking the boat back during the early afternoon and exploring Warnemünde in the evening. It is much more pleasant for an evening stroll than Rostock and you are only 10 mins from the ship.

Schwerin is an interesting place. Trains depart Rostock every two hours from 9.07am and depart Schwerin every two hours up to 7.53pm. The trip takes just under 1 hour. The Mecklenburg Lander ticket is valid for these trains. (€20 for one person plus €3 for each additional person up to 5, travel all day)

The following web site is worth browsing:-

www.schwerin.com/english

and for maps

www.worldmapfinder.com/Map_EarthMap.php?ID=/En/Europe/Germany/Rostock

http://www.nationsonline.org/oneworld/map/google_map_Schwerin.htm

Anni

Thanks for the reply! I had checked the website on Schwerin and it looks like an interesting addition to our journey. Is there any complication catching the train in Rostock? What type of transportation would we need in Schwerin to see downtown and the castle.

Thanks again

Dave

Just to add something. We did the ferry from Warnemunde to Rostock a couple of years ago. We docked in Warnemunde early and the ferry wasn't running yet, so we wandered about to town until it was time to get onboard. The ferry is about 35-40 minutes. it is a nice ride, but be aware it does not pass any interesting scenery, just shipyards and mostly industrial things. Also, be aware that the last ferry back from Rostock to Warnemunde was 3:30PM. If you miss that, you will have to take the train.

So that really makes it simply. Get to Rostock early since if you are using the ferry, you will be back in Warnemunde a bit after 4. We then, used that time to explore Warnemunde, walking to the beach, the lighthouse and such. A nice town, but, not all that much to do.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Hi Anni --

Thank you for your wonderful information. I love gardens and have vowed to take in as many gardens as possible for the Baltic Cruise I will be sailing on. Any suggestions for Rostock? We will be in on NCL Sun mid June.

We were thinking of taking the train into town and a ferry back to Warnemunde. Is this difficult? Is it enjoyable?

Thanks!

Alan

Anni,

Do you know if there is an ATM machine at the port or near train station? Getting local currency has never been a problem when we traveled by air. With this trip, I need to figure out if I need to order some before I leave home.

Edited by happy05

Just to add something. We did the ferry from Warnemunde to Rostock a couple of years ago. We docked in Warnemunde early and the ferry wasn't running yet, so we wandered about to town until it was time to get onboard. The ferry is about 35-40 minutes. it is a nice ride, but be aware it does not pass any interesting scenery, just shipyards and mostly industrial things. Also, be aware that the last ferry back from Rostock to Warnemunde was 3:30PM. If you miss that, you will have to take the train.

So that really makes it simply. Get to Rostock early since if you are using the ferry, you will be back in Warnemunde a bit after 4. We then, used that time to explore Warnemunde, walking to the beach, the lighthouse and such. A nice town, but, not all that much to do.

Cheers

Len

Thanks Len, glad you enjoyed the boat trip.

I would however like to point out to everyone that this is NOT one of the ferries mentioned on the publicity for the Rostock Day Ticket or the Rostock Welcome Card. It is a privately operated tour boat, principally offering a 100min tour of the port and views of Rostock from the river but passengers can get on and off in Rostock. There is a timetable but sometimes, if business is brisk, they put on extra boats, sometimes less. The times change too due to river traffic and changes are chalked on a board at the berth in both Warnemünde and Rostock. The fare is €12 for the tour or €8 one way if you wish to get off . There are only two ferries in the Rostock Public Transport system, cross-river from Warnemünde to Hohe Dune and cross-river from Rostock to Gehlsdorf. Hope this clears up a common misconception when the Warnemünde-Rostock trip is referred to as a ferry.

Nevertheless, the boat trip is a nice way to finish off a visit to Rostock.

Like Len, I would recommend taking an early train into Rostock (€1.70) and the boat back followed by the late afternoon/evening in Warnemünde. If you do take the boat into Rostock be aware that to get a seat outside you will have to be early and spend quite a while waiting while the boat fills up.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Hi Anni --

Thank you for your wonderful information. I love gardens and have vowed to take in as many gardens as possible for the Baltic Cruise I will be sailing on. Any suggestions for Rostock? We will be in on NCL Sun mid June.

We were thinking of taking the train into town and a ferry back to Warnemunde. Is this difficult? Is it enjoyable?

Thanks!

Alan

Hi Alan, please see the previous post re the `ferry`. The train station is literally alongside the cruise ship berths, about 5min walk from the terminal gate to the platforms. Trains to Rostock every 10-15 mins depending on time of day, 20 min journey into the Central Station through interesting suburbs. Tram no 5 or 6 from the station to the City centre, the €1.70 tickets covers both train and tram.

Rostock has a Botanical Garden, not very big but quite nice. Get off the train at Holbein Platz and cross the road.

There are a few castle gardens of various sizes in Mecklenburg vor Pommern of which Schwerin is the best and easiest to reach. Trains depart Rostock every two hours from 9.07am and depart Schwerin every two hours up to 7.53pm. The trip takes just under 1 hour. The Mecklenburg Lander ticket is valid for these trains. (€20 for one person plus €3 for each additional person up to 5, travel all day)

Anni

Anni,

Do you know if there is an ATM machine at the port or near train station? Getting local currency has never been a problem when we traveled by air. With this trip, I need to figure out if I need to order some before I leave home.

Hi,

There is an ATM at the Reise Bank on the train station, it is open 24/7.

And this bank is, believe it or not, the ONLY currency exchange facility in the Rostock area!

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Thanks for the reply! I had checked the website on Schwerin and it looks like an interesting addition to our journey. Is there any complication catching the train in Rostock? What type of transportation would we need in Schwerin to see downtown and the castle.

Thanks again

Dave

Hi Would you please answer the transportation question in Schwerin. How do we get around the town from the train station?

Thanks

Dave

Hi Would you please answer the transportation question in Schwerin. How do we get around the town from the train station?

Thanks

Dave

Hi, sorry about that.

Schwerin is a very compact town and ideally suited to walking. There is a tram system but it does not really go through the tourist part of the city, it goes round the edges and serves the suburbs. To take a tram would be to miss a great deal of the older city and you would still have a walk to the castle. The walk from the train station to the castle takes you past one of the many lakes and through the pedestrian only area with the Dom, the Market Place etc - as well as old streets with beautiful buildings and pavement cafes. About 15 mins direct but can take all day depending on how much you want to see! The castle gardens are extensive and if you decide to walk right through it is possible to catch a tram back to the station. From the castle itself it is a 10 min walk to the modern shopping centre and trams to the station.

Anni

Hi, sorry about that.

Schwerin is a very compact town and ideally suited to walking. There is a tram system but it does not really go through the tourist part of the city, it goes round the edges and serves the suburbs. To take a tram would be to miss a great deal of the older city and you would still have a walk to the castle. The walk from the train station to the castle takes you past one of the many lakes and through the pedestrian only area with the Dom, the Market Place etc - as well as old streets with beautiful buildings and pavement cafes. About 15 mins direct but can take all day depending on how much you want to see! The castle gardens are extensive and if you decide to walk right through it is possible to catch a tram back to the station. From the castle itself it is a 10 min walk to the modern shopping centre and trams to the station.

Anni

Thanks: I think I will try to get a few fellow pax to join in. The three towns look like a full day.

Dave

We will be in Warnemunde on Sunday June 5. Is there a Lutheran Church there or in Rostock that would have services? I belonged to a German Evangelical church in Philadelphia and and somewhat familiar with the service. Is there a church with a "good" organ/organist (not necessarily protestant) near by?? Thanks!

Thanks: I think I will try to get a few fellow pax to join in. The three towns look like a full day.

Dave

Hi I have printed out the train schedule to Schwerin. Are the signs easy to read to find the track to Schwerin from Rostock? Is 4 hrs enough to see Schwerin? This would get us back to Rostock at 3pm. Spend a few hrs and back to Warnemuende for the evening.

Thanks

Dave

Hi, I am an Australian who came to Rostock as a tourist several years ago and fell in love with the city. :)

... and he´s the best surfer in Warnemunde! ;)

Believe me, I´ve seen him on TV recently. He does ferry surfing. What do think is that? :confused:

... and he´s the best surfer in Warnemunde! ;)

Believe me, I´ve seen him on TV recently. He does ferry surfing. What do think is that? :confused:

Hi Kruizefan,

I think you have the wrong guy! :rolleyes:

I'm game for most things but as a 70 yr old female feel I would be pushing my luck trying "ferry surfing" whatever that is.

Think I will stick to helping cruisers enjoy the area.:)

Nice to know that there is another Australian who chooses to live in this beautiful place, will watch out for him.

Cheers

Anni

Nice to know that there is another Australian who chooses to live in this beautiful place, will watch out for him.

Cheers

Anni

Sorry, Anni,

for my mistake!

I couldn´t believe that there are several Australians stuck in Rostock.

You will find that handsome young guy on the beach of Warnemünde near the Lighthouse at summertime.

Peter