Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi I have printed out the train schedule to Schwerin. Are the signs easy to read to find the track to Schwerin from Rostock? Is 4 hrs enough to see Schwerin? This would get us back to Rostock at 3pm. Spend a few hrs and back to Warnemuende for the evening.

Thanks

Dave

Hi Anni: Does this plan look doable? Still need answer to changing trains in Rostock! Do we need to validate our tickets for each train and tram in both cities?

Dave

Hi Anni: Does this plan look doable? Still need answer to changing trains in Rostock! Do we need to validate our tickets for each train and tram in both cities?

Dave

Hi Dave, your plan looks very 'doable'. 4 hours is enough for Schwerin as long as you stick to walking the 'train station - castle - train station' route which covers everything worth seeing.

Changing trains in Rostock is quite simple. The s-bahn from Warnemünde arrives on track 1/2. Take the stairs 1 flight down to the main concourse. The electronic departure boards are on the walls on each side. The train you require is the RE to Hamburg, via Schwerin. The departure time and track will be indicated, normally track 6. Take the elevator marked 3-6 up to the platform (button 0) If a different track is indicated (never happened as far as I can remember) take the appropriately numbered elevator. The platforms are clearly numbered and there are electronic indicator boards showing the departure time, destination and intermediate stops of the next train on each.

If you intend to use a Mecklenburg Lander ticket and take the 9.07am to Schwerin you will require a single journey Rostock local transport ticket between Warnemünde and Rostock (€1.70) as the Lander ticket is not valid until 9am.

Rostock local transport tickets must be validated only once, either in the little orange box on the train platform or ditto on the tram. I do not have this information about the public transport in Schwerin as I have never used it, walking is a much better option if you want to see everything.

Mecklenburg Lander train tickets do not need to be validated as the date is printed on them when purchased.

Once in Schwerin go out the main station entrance, cross the square to the small street in the far right hand corner, go left down to the lake, turn right and follow the waterfront (about 200m) until you come to the pedestrian street on the right. You are now in the tourist area and from here all the attractions are clearly signposted.

Happy cruising

Anni

Hi Dave, your plan looks very 'doable'. 4 hours is enough for Schwerin as long as you stick to walking the 'train station - castle - train station' route which covers everything worth seeing.

Changing trains in Rostock is quite simple. The s-bahn from Warnemünde arrives on track 1/2. Take the stairs 1 flight down to the main concourse. The electronic departure boards are on the walls on each side. The train you require is the RE to Hamburg, via Schwerin. The departure time and track will be indicated, normally track 6. Take the elevator marked 3-6 up to the platform (button 0) If a different track is indicated (never happened as far as I can remember) take the appropriately numbered elevator. The platforms are clearly numbered and there are electronic indicator boards showing the departure time, destination and intermediate stops of the next train on each.

If you intend to use a Mecklenburg Lander ticket and take the 9.07am to Schwerin you will require a single journey Rostock local transport ticket between Warnemünde and Rostock (€1.70) as the Lander ticket is not valid until 9am.

Rostock local transport tickets must be validated only once, either in the little orange box on the train platform or ditto on the tram. I do not have this information about the public transport in Schwerin as I have never used it, walking is a much better option if you want to see everything.

Mecklenburg Lander train tickets do not need to be validated as the date is printed on them when purchased.

Once in Schwerin go out the main station entrance, cross the square to the small street in the far right hand corner, go left down to the lake, turn right and follow the waterfront (about 200m) until you come to the pedestrian street on the right. You are now in the tourist area and from here all the attractions are clearly signposted.

Happy cruising

Anni

Thanks! I guess we will have to pay the additional 3.4 euros to leave early. Those were the trains I was looking at!

Dave

Sorry, Anni,

for my mistake!

I couldn´t believe that there are several Australians stuck in Rostock.

You will find that handsome young guy on the beach of Warnemünde near the Lighthouse at summertime.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Apology accepted but please believe me that I am not 'stuck' in Rostock.

I live here by choice for the simple reason that I love the area, the people and the lifestyle. :)

Mind you, I would not say no to a glimpse of a handsome, young, Australian surfer on our beach this summer! ;)

Happy cruising

Anni

You will find that handsome young guy on the beach of Warnemünde near the Lighthouse at summertime.

Peter

I'm going to make sure I'm on the beach in May with my binoculars, hopefully the good looking Aussie will be there to drool at! :D (and if he's not there that day, I'll make sure we need to pile back in the car on another day and drive back down to Rostock....)

Edited by Sauer-kraut

We will be in Warnemunde on Sunday June 5. Is there a Lutheran Church there or in Rostock that would have services? I belonged to a German Evangelical church in Philadelphia and and somewhat familiar with the service. Is there a church with a "good" organ/organist (not necessarily protestant) near by?? Thanks!

HI, the Lutheran Church in Warnemünde is situated in the Market Place, about 10min walk from the cruise terminal. Sunday Morning Service at 10am

In the City of Rostock itself there are Sunday services at St.Marien, our biggest church, at 9.30am; St Petri, the oldest church, at 11am; University Church, originally part of the Cistercian Convent, every second Sunday at 7pm.

Most Lutheran churches have a short organ recital at mid-day during the week but I am not sure about Sundays. I am afraid that although I love organ music and often pop in to the Marien to listen I do not know very much about the instruments themselves. However, I understand that the Baroque organ in the Marien is an especially fine example; built in 1770 by Schmidt of Rostock and completely renovated by Sauer of Frankfurt in 1938 it was the only large church organ in Rostock to survive WWll.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Hi Anni: I was looking at the trip to Schwerin. You didn't indicate which station to use. Mitte or hbf. It looks like we could get off at mitte and return from hbf to see the most in the town. I can't find the market on the map. i found the am dom church. Anything else we should look for

Thanks

Dave

Hi again, oops, forgot to answer the second question. This is a bit difficult as there is no web site in English. I volunteer with the Society specifically to speak English with cruise ship passengers so I suppose I am the point of contact but of course this causes a problem with this page. The German web site address is www.geschichtswerkstatt-rostock.de

Anni ( aussieinrostock@gmail.com)

If you use Google Chrome as your internet browser, it makes a decent attempt at translating the website in to English.

Hi Anni: I was looking at the trip to Schwerin. You didn't indicate which station to use. Mitte or hbf. It looks like we could get off at mitte and return from hbf to see the most in the town. I can't find the market on the map. i found the am dom church. Anything else we should look for

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave,

You can use either station although I gave the timetable to Schwerin Hbf (main station) for a couple of reasons.

At the Hbf it is possible to check the times of return trains, always a good idea in case of changes.

The walk into town is much more pleasant and flatter.

If you use Mitte be aware that it is less than 2mins from Hbf and the train stops only briefly.

The market place is Am Markt, the square just south of Am Dom. The tourist information office is in the market place.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Hi Anni,

Thanks for all your help! If you are available August 27 ir 28, we would love to take you to lunch or dinner. We are also in our 70ties.

Sincerely,

Sue

Hi Sue, I'm so pleased that your planning is going well and thank you for your kind invitation.

These pages are getting a bit crowded, I nearly missed your post. I never expected so much interest but am really enjoying myself. It has given me a whole new pleasureable pastime through the winter.

I would love to meet you while you are in NE Germany. Maybe you would like to contact me by e-mail and we can arrange something in Schwerin or Rostock or anywhere else in the area you would like to visit. It would be my pleasure to show you around.

Best regards, Anni

aussieinrostock@gmail.com.

Edited by rostocker

Thanks

Dave

Hi Dave, have found a better web-site for Schwerin.

www.schwerin.com/english/

Hope this is of help.:)

Anni

Hi Sue, I'm so pleased that your planning is going well and thank you for your kind invitation.

These pages are getting a bit crowded, I nearly missed your post. I never expected so much interest but am really enjoying myself. It has given me a whole new pleasureable pastime through the winter.

I would love to meet you while you are in NE Germany. Maybe you would like to contact me by e-mail and we can arrange something in Schwerin or Rostock or anywhere else in the area you would like to visit. It would be my pleasure to show you around.

Best regards, Anni

aussieinrostock@gmail.com.

Hi Anni,

That would be great for lunch or dinner! I don't want to impose on you to show us around. I'll be in contact by e-mail to see which day and time works best for you.

Very best regards,

Sue

Hi Dave, have found a better web-site for Schwerin.

www.schwerin.com/english/

Hope this is of help.:)

Anni

Hi Anni, I was wondering how you would rate the train trip to Schwerin versus taken the bus to Bad Doberan and the Molli Train through the country side. We did the latter and really enjoyed the whole day. We met nice people on the bus, had an interresting train ride to Heiligendamm, strolled along the main shopping street in Kohlungsborn, had a nice lunch there, etc.

I described the details with pictures on the following web site: http://www.*****.com/Germany.html

However, I have now read some more about Schwerin and was curious what you would choose for a one day outing.

Hi Anni, I was wondering how you would rate the train trip to Schwerin versus taken the bus to Bad Doberan and the Molli Train through the country side. We did the latter and really enjoyed the whole day. We met nice people on the bus, had an interresting train ride to Heiligendamm, strolled along the main shopping street in Kohlungsborn, had a nice lunch there, etc.

I described the details with pictures on the following web site: http://www.*****.com/Germany.html

However, I have now read some more about Schwerin and was curious what you would choose for a one day outing.

Anni,

I am interested in your input. I am in a group of eight docking at Warnemuende on 23 June on the NCL Sun. Six of our group are doing a private tour to Berlin and Sachsenhausen concentration camp for the day. We have 14+ hours in port. My wife and I were in Berlin for three days in October and are opting to stay on the coast and I have followed your thread with interest.

We are trying to decide between using the trains to go to Schwerin, Wismar or possibly Bad Doberan and doing the Molli train. I am concerned that Lubeck is simply too far, especially by train. Do you agree?

We are also considering renting a car for the day and doing a similar excursion but by auto at our own pace.

If we do the train, is it feasible to see both Schwerin and Wismar and have enough time to see both? Would you recommend it?

If we chose Lubeck, is it realistic to include anything else if traveling by train? How much time would we realistically have in Lubeck? Our ship docks at 0730 and departs at 2200.

If we rent a car, how much is really feasible without cramming too much into too short a time? I have read the thread from last year in which HeinBloed maps out a trip from Warnemuende to Lubeck and Schwerin, and that seems feasible by auto, not by train. Do you agree?

The Bad Doberan - Wismar routing by car also seems very doable and interesting, but would the Molli train be feasible or advisable to include from Bad Doberan if we are traveling by car? Or would it simply be too much to try to see?

The others in our group's plans just changed yesterday and I am scrambling to identify the best options here for the two of us.

Thanks.

Edited by rdnpdx1

Just so you know Bob, we did the bus to Bad Doberan, Molli train, couple of hours (and lunch) in Kuhlungsborn, back to Bad Doberan, train to Rostock, tram to city centre, sightseed/sightsaw (are either of those words?!), tram and train back to Warnemunde. Had a great day out, bit tiring and all for under €20 each! Thats my idea of a value excursion. If you want details of 'how to do it', e mail me and I'll send the sheet I did for someone else.

Simon

Just so you know Bob, we did the bus to Bad Doberan, Molli train, couple of hours (and lunch) in Kuhlungsborn, back to Bad Doberan, train to Rostock, tram to city centre, sightseed/sightsaw (are either of those words?!), tram and train back to Warnemunde. Had a great day out, bit tiring and all for under €20 each! Thats my idea of a value excursion. If you want details of 'how to do it', e mail me and I'll send the sheet I did for someone else.

Simon

Thanks. That sounds like a possibility. I will follow up by email.

Anni

Do you have any information on when the Festival is scheduled for this year, and roughly when the vessels start arriving for the event. We are due to dock in Warnemunde in August.

Thank you.

Hi, I have never heard of 'Festival of Freedom' but we do have 'Hanse Sail' which is a gathering of sailing ships large and small held in August every year. This year the official events happen between 11th and 14th August but there are ships in port for weeks both before and after those dates. 2011 marks the 21st anniversary so we expect more participents than usual.

Details, in English, of the events, participants etc. can be found at www. hansesail.com/index.php?id=1&L=1

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Anni,

If we do the train, is it feasible to see both Schwerin and Wismar and have enough time to see both? Would you recommend it?

If we chose Lubeck, is it realistic to include anything else if traveling by train? How much time would we realistically have in Lubeck? Our ship docks at 0730 and departs at 2200.

If we rent a car, how much is really feasible without cramming too much into too short a time? I have read the thread from last year in which HeinBloed maps out a trip from Warnemuende to Lubeck and Schwerin, and that seems feasible by auto, not by train. Do you agree?

The Bad Doberan - Wismar routing by car also seems very doable and interesting, but would the Molli train be feasible or advisable to include from Bad Doberan if we are traveling by car? Or would it simply be too much to try to see?

The others in our group's plans just changed yesterday and I am scrambling to identify the best options here for the two of us.

Thanks.

Hi Bob, if you rent a car almost any of the trips you suggest are very 'doable' The time problems arise with train connections but some are quite possible.

I would not suggest trying to do any other town with Schwerin except perhaps a look at Rostock on the way back.

Wismar is possible by train with Bad Doberan as they are on the same line but if you want to ride the Mollie then it would be better to stick to Simon's suggestion.

Lübeck is further away but it can be done within your time frame by taking the 8.37am from Warnemünde arriving Lübeck 10.54am and returning on the 5.04pm from Lübeck arriving Warnemünde 7.21pm. Unfortunately the next train would be too late for boarding time.

Hope this helps with your planning,

Anni

Hi, it is difficult to compare the two, just a matter of personal choice really.

The train ride to Schwerin is also through beautiful countryside and the principal attraction is the castle and the old town.

The Mollie ride also takes you through lovely countryside but the attraction is the train itself as Kuhlingsborn and Heiligendamm are very much like Warnemünde on a smaller scale.

Bad Doberan is an interesting town in itself with the Minster and the monastery ruins but the best part is to sit at a pavement cafe on the main street within touching distance (literally) of the Mollie as she steams down the middle of the street, bell ringing to warn traffic out of the way!

This is just a personal opinion, it would be interesting to hear what others think.

Anni

Hi Anni,

That would be great for lunch or dinner! I don't want to impose on you to show us around. I'll be in contact by e-mail to see which day and time works best for you.

Very best regards,

Sue

Hi Anni,

Plans are really coming along. (Plane to Berlin on Swiss Air, plane to Copenhagen on Berlin Air and after cruise fly back to San Francisco from Copenhagen on Swiss Air)

I have a few questions. On August 26, I want to travel from Berlin to Schwerin. Can I use a Lander ticket from Berlin? There are four of us traveling together. On August 29, I want to use the train back to Berlin.

While in Berlin, are the Lander tickets the most economical way to travel in the city?

In Schwerin, I have booked the Inter-City Hotel. I have found that I can book the Crown Plaza, Schwerin for $23.00 more a night. Do you recommend the change?

Thank you so much! I look forward to meeting you.

Sue

Edited by Enjoying every moment
want to add my thanks

Hi Bob, if you rent a car almost any of the trips you suggest are very 'doable' The time problems arise with train connections but some are quite possible.

I would not suggest trying to do any other town with Schwerin except perhaps a look at Rostock on the way back.

Wismar is possible by train with Bad Doberan as they are on the same line but if you want to ride the Mollie then it would be better to stick to Simon's suggestion.

Lübeck is further away but it can be done within your time frame by taking the 8.37am from Warnemünde arriving Lübeck 10.54am and returning on the 5.04pm from Lübeck arriving Warnemünde 7.21pm. Unfortunately the next train would be too late for boarding time.

Hope this helps with your planning,

Anni

Your advice is very helpful. We just need to decide whether to rent a car or not now.

I have a few questions. On August 26, I want to travel from Berlin to Schwerin. Can I use a Lander ticket from Berlin? There are four of us traveling together. On August 29, I want to use the train back to Berlin.

While in Berlin, are the Lander tickets the most economical way to travel in the city?

In Schwerin, I have booked the Inter-City Hotel. I have found that I can book the Crown Plaza, Schwerin for $23.00 more a night. Do you recommend the change?

Thank you so much! I look forward to meeting you.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Travel between Berlin and Schwerin requires two Lander Tickets, Brandenburg/Berlin and Mecklenburg Vorpommern. The cost for four travelling together would be BB €28 and MvP €29, total cost €57 for each travel day. As 26th and 29th are weekdays the tickets would be valid after 9am on RE trains. The standard fare is €33.60 per person so the Lander tickets are a considerable saving. They can be bought on-line and from ticket machines or from the ticket office at an extra cost of €2 per ticket.

Travel within Berlin - this is the best and most economical option for multiple journeys.

Kleingruppenkarte: day ticket for up to 5 people for just €15.00 (Zone A/B ) or €15.50 (Zone A-C) covers transport on all s-bahn and u-bahn trains, trams, buses, ferries and DB regional trains.

Zone A: Berlin's inner city up to and including the urban rail ring

Zone B: outside the urban rail ring up to the city boundary

Zone C: Greater Berlin (area approx. 15 km around the State of Berlin),including the city of Potsdam and Orianenburg - the s-bahn station for Saschenhausen

Another alternative is the CityTour Card. Details of the prices and discounts can be found at www.citytourcard.com/english/

The Hop on Hop off buses charge around €25 per person and the only extra is the commentary. All the places they visit are accessible by public transport.

The Crowne Plaza is more up-market but still right alongside the railway line. It is also quite a way from the old town (where all the attractions are) and a long way from the main station but it is a matter of personal preference really.

Glad to hear your plans are coming along so well and look forward to meeting you.

Anni .

Dear Anni,

I can't thank you enough; your information helps so much.

Our flight August 29 departs at 12:45 from TXL. If we leave Schwerin at 9:00, am I allowing enough time to make our flight?

I love your suggestion about being close to the old town so will keep the existing reservation.

The Kleingruppenkarte sounds like a great idea.

Thank you and see you in Rostock.

Sue