Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi, I am an Australian who came to Rostock as a tourist several years ago and fell in love with the city. So much so that I have lived here for the past four years exploring the beauty and learning the history of the city and surrounding area. It would be my pleasure to help others enjoy my adopted home too. :)

Edited by rostocker
mistakes

If you're the woman who volunteers at the tourist board whenever an American Cruise ship is in port then we met you in July (I think the 5th) while we were in Rostock! You suggested that we walk back to the center of town via the wall - what a fabulous treat! We happened upon the rehearsal of a stage play - didn't understand anything but it was a wonderful opportunity to view "real" life!

Rostock is a treasure of a little town - the church is a real treat! And we completely enjoyed Warnemunde. We were SO happy that we didn't bother with the long trip to Berlin!

Thanks much for your advice!!

Hi Peg, yes I do remember you but I volunteer with the Historical Society based in the Kropeliner Gate, we are not the Tourism Board but we do try to help people get the best out of their visit to Rostock. Thanks for your kind words, so glad you enjoyed that walk. Hope to see you again sometime as I will be on hand for most of the cruise ship visits again this year. Anni

Hi Peg, yes I do remember you but I volunteer with the Historical Society based in the Kropeliner Gate, we are not the Tourism Board but we do try to help people get the best out of their visit to Rostock. Thanks for your kind words, so glad you enjoyed that walk. Hope to see you again sometime as I will be on hand for most of the cruise ship visits again this year. Anni

Hi, Anni, we will be visiting next June 12 off of Oceania's newbuild Marina, and hope to meet you then. I have enjoyed your posts these past few months that I have participated on the Baltics board.

Add us to the list that loved our time in Rostock. We took the ferry back and forth.

While on the ferry, I bought a beer and it was served in this big glass mug with the Rostock insignia on it. I asked the waitress if I could buy one and she said sure for 4 euros. I bought it and it made a great souvenir.

After getting back to Warnemunde, I thought I should buy another one for my son. I walked all over town, asking each restaurant, if they might sell me a mug, and they all refused. I finally went to a souvenir shop where they also sold food. There was a young man working there, and I asked him if I could purchase a mug like I already had. He went to find out and came back with a brand new one, 2 euros. I was thrilled and still use this mug most every day.

Cheers

Len

Hi, I am an Australian who came to Rostock as a tourist several years ago and fell in love with the city. So much so that I have lived here for the past four years exploring the beauty and learning the history of the city and surrounding area. It would be my pleasure to help others enjoy my adopted home too. :)

Hello Anni,

We are planning to sail on the Emerald Princess and one of the port of call is Warnemunde, Germany. We've been to Warnemunde several years ago. This time, we would like to do a tour of Rostock and Wismar. Having about 12 hours available for touring, do you think that's feasible and practical to do both? Or should we just focus on Rostock and the surrounding area? Are there HOHO or tours available in Rostock? I thank you in advance.

Homer (XLIXer)

Hi Anni!

I am on my first ever Baltic cruise in 2011 and have been trying to decide whether to take the haul into Berlin.

Your posts (and a few others on these boards) have me convinced that staying in Warnemunde and Rostock are the way to go.

One question: if we did want to train it for no more than an hour to take in an authentic Hanseatic town, where would you recommend traveling to and how would we make the trip?

Thanks in advance - look forward to meeting you next year!

Hello Anni,

We are planning to sail on the Emerald Princess and one of the port of call is Warnemunde, Germany. We've been to Warnemunde several years ago. This time, we would like to do a tour of Rostock and Wismar. Having about 12 hours available for touring, do you think that's feasible and practical to do both? Or should we just focus on Rostock and the surrounding area? Are there HOHO or tours available in Rostock? I thank you in advance.

Homer (XLIXer)

Hi Homer, With 12 hours a trip to Wismar is very feasible and you could easily fit in a stop in Bad Doberan too on the return journey. The s-Bahn (suburban train) service from Warnemünde to Rostock Central Station runs every 10 mins and the RE (Regional Express) trains to Wismar leave Rostock at 9 mins past every hour. The journey takes appox. 1 hour and plus a 10min walk in Wismar from the station to the town centre. The Mecklenburg Lander ticket costs 26euros for the whole days travel after 9am for up to 5 persons . This includes the tram between Rostock Central station and the city centre.

There are no HOHO buses in Rostock but the city is so compact it is not necessary. Everything is within easy walking distance once you are in the centre.

The tours in English are usually part of an all-day package. The only one at present for the independent tourist is a one hour walk through the city offered by the Historical Society.

Enjoy your cruise, we look foward to welcoming you.

Anni (aussieinrostock@gmail.com)

Hi Anni!

I am on my first ever Baltic cruise in 2011 and have been trying to decide whether to take the haul into Berlin.

Your posts (and a few others on these boards) have me convinced that staying in Warnemunde and Rostock are the way to go.

One question: if we did want to train it for no more than an hour to take in an authentic Hanseatic town, where would you recommend traveling to and how would we make the trip?

Thanks in advance - look forward to meeting you next year!

Hi, there are two Hanseatic Towns, Wismar and Stralsund, both World Heritage listed, within one hour of Rostock.

The s-bahn (suburban trains) run every 10mins from Warnemuende to Rostock Central station. Regional trains to Wismar run every hour and the journey takes approx. one hour. Regional trains to Stralsund run every two hours and the journey takes approx. 55 mins.

Depending on your arrival and departure times in Warnemuende it should be possible to include a look around the city of Rostock on your return and/or take an evening stroll around Warnemuende too.

Enjoy your cruise, we look forward to welcoming you.

Hi Homer, With 12 hours a trip to Wismar is very feasible and you could easily fit in a stop in Bad Doberan too on the return journey. The s-Bahn (suburban train) service from Warnemünde to Rostock Central Station runs every 10 mins and the RE (Regional Express) trains to Wismar leave Rostock at 9 mins past every hour. The journey takes appox. 1 hour and plus a 10min walk in Wismar from the station to the town centre. The Mecklenburg Lander ticket costs 26euros for the whole days travel after 9am for up to 5 persons . This includes the tram between Rostock Central station and the city centre.

There are no HOHO buses in Rostock but the city is so compact it is not necessary. Everything is within easy walking distance once you are in the centre.

The tours in English are usually part of an all-day package. The only one at present for the independent tourist is a one hour walk through the city offered by the Historical Society.

Enjoy your cruise, we look foward to welcoming you.

Hello Anni,

Thank you for your response. You've mentioned the Meckleburg Lander ticket for 26euros, that will cover 5 persons, since there will be 8 of us, would it be more advantagious to purchase 2 Meckleburg Lander tickets? Or purchase 3 single (r/t) tickets and one Meckleburg Lander? For the Historial Society in Rostock, is there a point of contact or e-mail address that I may have for future consideration? Thanks again for you help in these matters.

Homer

Hello Anni,

Thank you for your response. You've mentioned the Meckleburg Lander ticket for 26euros, that will cover 5 persons, since there will be 8 of us, would it be more advantagious to purchase 2 Meckleburg Lander tickets? Or purchase 3 single (r/t) tickets and one Meckleburg Lander? For the Historial Society in Rostock, is there a point of contact or e-mail address that I may have for future consideration? Thanks again for you help in these matters.

Homer

Hello Homer,

The standard return fare from Warnemuende to Wismar is €23.40 per person so for a party of 8 it is better to purchase 2 Mecklenburg Lander tickets at €26 each. But please note that on a weekday the Lander tickets are valid only after 9am so if you wish to take the 9.06 train from Rostock to Wismar you will need to puchase single tickets from Warnemünde to Rostock Central Station, €1.70 each. This still works out at only €8.20 per person for the whole day and covers local transport (tram, train, bus, ferry) in the city of Rostock as well.

These are prices obtained from the official DB website in English which is a very good, clear and easily navigated source of both times and prices for the whole of Germany.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en?ld=9642&country=GBR&rt=1&OK#focus

Looks a bit complicated but you can just copy and paste into the address bar.

Even if these prices do alter it will not be by much and I am sure the same advice will still apply.

Happy cruise planning

Anni

Hello Anni,

Homer

Hi again, oops, forgot to answer the second question. This is a bit difficult as there is no web site in English. I volunteer with the Society specifically to speak English with cruise ship passengers so I suppose I am the point of contact but of course this causes a problem with this page. The German web site address is www.geschichtswerkstatt-rostock.de

Anni ( aussieinrostock@gmail.com)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Just updating some information for 2011.

Mecklenburg vor Pommern (MvP) Lander ticket.

The new prices are as follows:- 1st person €20 + €3 for each additional person up to maximum 5 people. ie ticket for 5 will cost €32.

This ticket is valid from 9am to 3am the following morning, Monday to Friday and 3am to 3am the following morning Saturday and Sunday.

It covers travel anywhere in Mecklenburg vor Pommern plus direct journeys from MvP to Hamburg or Lubeck (but not between Hamburg and Lubeck) and direct jouneys between MvP and Sczcezin in Poland. It is also valid on the city s-bahn systems in Rostock and Hamburg.

It can only be used on the Deutsche Bahn RE and RB trains (not valid on IC, EC or ICE ) and the privately operated OLA and Ostseebahn within MvP

The DB English website http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en is a clear and easily navigated source for times, fares, special offers etc.

Tip:- If you are travelling from Warnemünde by s-bahn to catch a connecting train in Rostock it may be better to take the s-bahn one earlier than that suggested in the timetble as Rostock station, although not very big, can be a bit confusing to a stranger.

Local Transport

Tickets are valid on all s-bahn trains, trams and buses within the area which includes Warnemünde, the City and the Port of Rostock.

A standard ticket, €1.70, is for a single journey between Warnemünde and the three stops (Neuer Markt, Lange Strasse and Kröpeliner Tor) in the City centre. Even though you change from train to tram at the Central station you only need the one ticket.

You cannot purchase a return ticket as such, you must buy two separate tickets. The machine has no way of issuing a return and if you ask for a return in the office they will sell you a day ticket.

Day tickets, €4.50, are available every day.

Day tickets for 2 persons obviously cost €9 so the group ticket at €13.50 only kicks in with a party of three, four or five.

The day ticket can also be used on the cross-river ferry next to the cruise terminal. Hohe Dune on the other bank is nice for an evening stroll and great for taking photos of your ship.

The day ticket is NOT valid for the boat journey between Warnemünde and Rostock. This is a privately operated pleasure cruiser and the fare is around €10 one way.

If you buy a single journey ticket please do not forget to validate it in the little orange box on the train platform in Warnemünde and when returning in the box on the tram. This is a lesson I learned at a cost of €40, the fine for being caught with an unvalidated ticket.

Regional Transport.

There is a good network of buses covering many of the small places not served by trains. It is a good alternate way to get to Bad Doberan for example direct from Warnemünde.

Details for both local and regional transport can be found in English on the web site www.rsag-online.com

There are new ticket machines with instructions in English at all train, tram and bus stops and they are now being installed on the trams and buses but no plans to install them on board the trains as far as I know.

Happy cruise planning. icon7.gif

Hi Anni,

I have a question, although not on a cruise ship, I'll be spending a week in Rerik the last week of May. Do you have any other tips besides Rostock and Schwerin as I have been there, for sightseeing? We'll have a car and long days to fill if the weather doesn't cooperate for swimming in 2011.

I'm open to anything so pick your brain and let me know what else there is to see. German language isn't a problem, so really anything goes. :)

Hellol Anni,

Greetings from Lake Tahoe, California!

I am so excited to find your post! We are on the Emerald Princess that stops at Warneude September 8. 2011.

We traveled to Sydney last year for a cruise to New Zealand, stayed in Sydney, and took the train to the Blue Mountains. We loved the people of Australia.

Prior to the cruise to the Baltics. we wamt to travel to your area and stay in Schwerin for a week. My friend has this last name and wants to stay in the city of his ancestors. Can you recommend moderately priced accomodations? There are four of us.

Is is possible to make Schwerin our base and travel to Berlin and return at night? Is there a fairly easy, moderately priced way to travel from this part of Germany to Copenhagen?

Any recommendations are so appreciated.

Thank you so much for your help and Happy New Year!

Sue

Is there a fairly easy, inexpensive way to travel to and from Copenhagen from your area?

We traveled to Sydney last year to cruise New Zealand and loved the Australians when we stayed in Sydney and took the train to the Blue Mountains.

Thanks so very much. I've made a mistake here and am trying to correct it without success.

Sorry

Sue

Prior to the cruise to the Baltics. we wamt to travel to your area and stay in Schwerin for a week. My friend has this last name and wants to stay in the city of his ancestors. Can you recommend moderately priced accomodations? There are four of us.

Is is possible to make Schwerin our base and travel to Berlin and return at night? Is there a fairly easy, moderately priced way to travel from this part of Germany to Copenhagen?

Hi Sue, pleased to hear you enjoyed Australia, hope you will enjoy your time in Germany just as much.

Schwerin is a wonderful city and there is plenty to do there. A very good site to visit is www.schwerin.com/english They employ English speaking staff so contact by either phone or e-mail is easy.

I am not too familiar with the accommodation situation but at a glance it seems to be booking up already for that time of year, it's a popular destination. In general, however, self catering holiday apartments are the best priced way to go for a party of four in this area. The above site or www.live-like-a-german.com/destination/schwerin/vacation_rentals would be able to help more than me. If you prefer hotel accommodation I have used Inter City Schwerin; very central, clean, comfortable and the price includes local transport tickets. It is also close to some lip-smacking bakeries for breakfast!!

The train journey to Berlin takes just over 2 hours. Trains depart every 2 hours from 6.17am. The last train back departs Berlin at 8.29pm. On Saturdays and Sundays it is possible to travel before 9am using a Schönes- Wochen-ende ticket, cost €40 for four persons, but weekdays you would have to travel after 9am and buy one Mecklenburg ticket + one Brandenburg ticket, total cost €56 for four. All these tickets include local transport within Berlin. Everything in Berlin is open all weekend, the day to avoid is Monday when museums etc. are closed.

The shortest journey from Schwerin to Copenhagen takes just over 5 hours so a day trip is not really feasible. If you are travelling to meet the cruise ship then the easiest way is to take the IC from Schwerin to Hamburg and the ICE direct to Copenhagen. Depart Schwerin 7.23am or 11.23 am and arrive Copenhagen 2.10pm or 6.10pm. The fare is approx. €103 but there are specials as cheap as €39 - available 92 days before travel and VERY limited in number, you have to get in quick. The ICE between Hamburg and Copenhagen is a specially built train which actually travels on the ferry between Germany and Denmark! One of the last trains in Europe to do so.

Hope this is of help, happy planning.

Hi Anni,

I have a question, although not on a cruise ship, I'll be spending a week in Rerik the last week of May. Do you have any other tips besides Rostock and Schwerin as I have been there, for sightseeing? We'll have a car and long days to fill if the weather doesn't cooperate for swimming in 2011.

I'm open to anything so pick your brain and let me know what else there is to see. German language isn't a problem, so really anything goes. :)

Hi, Rerik is a great little place, very typical of small Baltic coast towns.

You will be just off route 105 which runs between Lübeck in the west and Sassnitz on the island of Rügen in the east, the whole length of the German Baltic coast, fantastic position for touring. Without knowing your particular interests it is difficult to suggest but just in general here are a few.

Lübeck - wealth of history and medieval walls and buildings. Wismar - World Heritage city beautifully restored. Kühlungsborn - pretty little sea-side town and Heiligendam - dating from the very earliest days of the nobility's fascination with the health properties of the Baltic Coast. Bad Doberan - the Munster and monastary ruins, also the Molli Bahn steam train which runs through the town streets. To the east of Rostock is the Darß / Zingst peninsular - unspoilt sand dune and forest landscape the choice of home to many famous artists, especially the little town of Ahrenshoop. Stralsund - another World Heritage site, also home to a fantastic Ocean Museum. Hiddensee - an idyllic island where real horse power rules, no motor transport is allowed. The Island of Rügen - Germanys biggest island - tiny villages, thatched roofs, rolling farmland, beech forests, majestic chalk cliffs.

The area around Waren to the south is a country of lakes and forests, no big towns at all.

However, Hamburg is only about 1 hours drive and Berlin 2 hours on the autobahn.

Hope this has given you some food for thought but if you would like to know anything more specific maybe e-mail would be better.

Happy planning

Thanks Anni!

We're coming from Hannover and picking up a friend outside of Hamburg so I think we'll spend a couple of days there and then either go to Helgoland or straight to Rerik and Helgoland on the way home,

The list you have sounds great, the 2 that I'm travelling with are also fun loving and eager to see stuff, although they have both already been to Rerik last year, so I'm afraid a lot will be repeated for them, but I want to see everything! :)

I'll cut and paste your suggestions and email my 'tour planner' and she can take it from there.

Have a very happy new year!

Hi Sue, pleased to hear you enjoyed Australia, hope you will enjoy your time in Germany just as much.

Schwerin is a wonderful city and there is plenty to do there. A very good site to visit is www.schwerin.com/english They employ English speaking staff so contact by either phone or e-mail is easy.

I am not too familiar with the accommodation situation but at a glance it seems to be booking up already for that time of year, it's a popular destination. In general, however, self catering holiday apartments are the best priced way to go for a party of four in this area. The above site or www.live-like-a-german.com/destination/schwerin/vacation_rentals would be able to help more than me. If you prefer hotel accommodation I have used Inter City Schwerin; very central, clean, comfortable and the price includes local transport tickets. It is also close to some lip-smacking bakeries for breakfast!!

The train journey to Berlin takes just over 2 hours. Trains depart every 2 hours from 6.17am. The last train back departs Berlin at 8.29pm. On Saturdays and Sundays it is possible to travel before 9am using a Schönes- Wochen-ende ticket, cost €40 for four persons, but weekdays you would have to travel after 9am and buy one Mecklenburg ticket + one Brandenburg ticket, total cost €56 for four. All these tickets include local transport within Berlin. Everything in Berlin is open all weekend, the day to avoid is Monday when museums etc. are closed.

The shortest journey from Schwerin to Copenhagen takes just over 5 hours so a day trip is not really feasible. If you are travelling to meet the cruise ship then the easiest way is to take the IC from Schwerin to Hamburg and the ICE direct to Copenhagen. Depart Schwerin 7.23am or 11.23 am and arrive Copenhagen 2.10pm or 6.10pm. The fare is approx. €103 but there are specials as cheap as €39 - available 92 days before travel and VERY limited in number, you have to get in quick. The ICE between Hamburg and Copenhagen is a specially built train which actually travels on the ferry between Germany and Denmark! One of the last trains in Europe to do so.

Hope this is of help, happy planning.

Hi Anni,

This is just the information I need. Thank you so much! If we decided to stay in Berlin for 3 days, do you have a recommendation for a moderately priced hotel?

Thanks,

Sue

Hi Anni,

My friend responded to the list you posted for me, she really thought it was great of you to list all those things. We will probably do several of what you suggested and head more eastwards as those parts of Germany were closed to casual travellers back when I was in my touring days. (pre 1989)

Can't wait for May to get here, now all I have to do is find a cheap flight which seems nearly impossible at the moment, most are running close to $1000 without layovers for unreasonable hours. *sigh*:(

Any advice for getting the most out of our time in Warnemunde, we are cruising there, (1 day only),are there any other areas fairly local by train,bus or taxi, you could reccomend thanks.

Hi,

Warnemünde itself is a fascinating little place. Quaint old back streets, modern sea-front promenade with all the usual tourist facilities, wide sandy beach, fish market right alongside the boats, good restaurants and bars. Be sure to fit in a stroll, especially in the evening, even if you go further afield first.

Rostock is of course the closest city to visit and has a lot of interesting buildings and history, pleasant pedestrian shopping precincts and excellent restaurants. There is a train every 10 mins from Warnemünde to the Rostock Central Station and frequent trams from the station into the city centre.

Lübeck is a very historical and interesting town which was badly bombed during the war. It has a mixture of well restored medieval buildings and modern post-war architecture, some lovely churches and a couple of great museums. The journey from Rostock Central Station takes just under two hours and requires one change of train. There is a train every two hours.

Schwerin was the seat of the Dukes of Mecklenburg and the castle and grounds are open to the public. This was part of East Germany and had hardly any bomb damage so there are very few modern buildings but some beauties from the 17th and 18th century.

Stralsund is a World Heritage listed town. Lots great museums mostly housed in beautifully restored Medieval buildings, some fabulous churches and a huge, very modern, state of the art Oceanarium.

For both Schwerin and Stralsund there is a direct train service from Rostock every two hours and several trains in between for which you pay the standard fare. Travel time is just under one hour.

Another, and many consider the best, alternative is Wismar, also a World Heritage listed town. It is a real Medieval gem. There is an hourly train service from Rostock which goes through Bad Doberan, so the two can be visited in one trip. Travel time just over one hour

These towns are all part of the Mecklenburg day ticket area ie. €20 for one person + €3 for each additional person up to 5 persons travelling together, valid all day starting after 9am on weekdays or anytime on weekends.

Last but not least is the town of Güstrow. It is just a small country town which has had very little restoration and therefore gives a real insight into what these towns were like in GDR times before the advent of EU and tourist money. It has, however a beautifully restored castle with Ducal rooms open to the public and a good porcelain collection, two fine churches and a fantastic Museum of Nativity Cribs, 350 of them, from all over the world. The S-Bahn from Warnemümde runs once every hour to Güstrow. Unless you have 5 people travelling it is cheaper to buy a standard single ticket.

I can give more detailed information on Rostock and Güstrow and have posted more detailed information on fares, train times etc on previous threads. The web sites below are also worth browsing.

www.en.stralsundtourismus.de/

www.schwerin.com/english

www.muenster-doberan.de

www.luebeck-tourism.de

www.germanplaces.com/germany/wismar

Happy planning,

Anni

Edited by rostocker

We will be arriving on July 12th at 6am and want to take the train to Scherwin. Is there a new schedule for 2011 that will tell us what time the train leaves Rostock in the morning? We want to walk around Rostock before or after the trip to Scherwin before we return to Warnemunde.

We will be arriving on July 12th at 6am and want to take the train to Scherwin. Is there a new schedule for 2011 that will tell us what time the train leaves Rostock in the morning? We want to walk around Rostock before or after the trip to Scherwin before we return to Warnemunde.

Hi,

The Regional Express service on which you can use a Mecklenburg Lander Ticket (see post of Dec. 28th on this thread for more details) departs Rostock every two hours starting at 9.07am, arriving Schwerin 10.03am. Trains depart Schwerin every two hours up to 7.53pm.

Happy cruise planning,

Anni