Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi Anni,

You are an amazing resource!

I have discovered toursbylocals.com and see where a Karin S offers private tours in the area. Have you heard of her and if so, would you recommend her?

Any other guide recommendations would be great. We are a group of 6 who will be visiting on Aug 29 via the Marina and have from 8am-10pm to explore the region, which isn't nearly enough.....

Thanks!

Hi, thank you for your appreciation. As I have moved away from Rostock I am now posting on a different thread - 'Welcome to NE Germany - Happy to help you enjoy'

I have not heard of the company you mention or the guide but a lot of new guides etc. have popped up in the last couple of seasons, some excellent and some not so good.

As a 'local' giving advice I am not allowed to recommend guides for obvious reasons but I hope that someone who has visited Rostock and been happy with their experience will step in with a recommendation.

Enjoy your visit to our beautiful and interesting area, I love living here.

Happy planning and cruising,:)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Anni. It is so kind of you to offer your help to all of us planning our vacations. I'm wondering if you have any thoughts or advice about visiting local breweries. We're docking in Warnemunde this July and will be there for almost 15 hours. Unlike many people, we are not planning to go to Berlin. We thought it might be fun to visit different breweries and try to sample local food - maybe even take a cooking class. Do you know of anyone who offers a tour like that? If not, do you know how easy it would be to do something like this on our own?

I know this is a bit of an odd question so no worries if it's not something you know much about. You seem to know a lot about the area though so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

Heather

I'm wondering if you have any thoughts or advice about visiting local breweries. We're docking in Warnemunde this July and will be there for almost 15 hours. Unlike many people, we are not planning to go to Berlin. We thought it might be fun to visit different breweries and try to sample local food - maybe even take a cooking class. Do you know of anyone who offers a tour like that? If not, do you know how easy it would be to do something like this on our own?

Heather

There is a brewery in Rostock! And they do offer tours, THURS. 11 am every THURSDAY from May through Oct. 6 euro p/p under 12 free. There is 2 complimentary glasses of beer at the end of the tour (for those 16 and over) 0.3 ltr Tours are only in German, with English handouts. If you go in a group tour there is an english tour, but you need to find a group or tour leader who will do this.

Tourist-Information Warnemünde

Am Strom 59 / Ecke Kirchenstraße

18119 Rostock-Warnemünde

Tel.: +49 (0)3 81 5 48 00-0, Fax: +49 (0)3 81 5 48 00-3

As to local cuisine....fish! There are a lot of nice restaurants in Warnemunde along the canal, and there are a couple listed that make their own brandies and schnapps. Unfortunately the websites are all in German, so the best thing would be to get a book on the port of Warnemunde or contact the tourist office to get ideas. Have a great time!

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Hi Anni. It is so kind of you to offer your help to all of us planning our vacations. I'm wondering if you have any thoughts or advice about visiting local breweries. We're docking in Warnemunde this July and will be there for almost 15 hours. Unlike many people, we are not planning to go to Berlin. We thought it might be fun to visit different breweries and try to sample local food - maybe even take a cooking class. Do you know of anyone who offers a tour like that? If not, do you know how easy it would be to do something like this on our own?

I know this is a bit of an odd question so no worries if it's not something you know much about. You seem to know a lot about the area though so I thought it couldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks!

Heather

Hi,

The Rostocker Brewery does indeed offer tours but only for groups of between 10 and 25 persons, booked in advance.

The only other one is a micro-brewery with a large restaurant in the forest opposite the zoo. The web site is in German only but if you put Brauhaus Trotzenburg into your search engine and hit 'translate this page' the translation is not too bad. Some of the ships tours include this one but it is easy to reach on your own by taking a #6 tram, direction 'Neuer Friedhof' - to the stop 'Zoo', from the main station or any stop in the city. The local day ticket covers this ride

I agree with Sauer Kraut as regards the local cuisine - fish it is, cooked and served in every way imaginable. All the restaurants around the Alte Strom (the Old Channel which is now a harbour) in Warnemünde have menus outside, many of them in English, so it just a case of strolling and stopping wherever takes your fancy.

If you want to eat in Rostock, Zur Kogge on the harbour has a great atmosphere and is decorated with memorabilia of the time when this was the centre of Rostocks seafaring activity. The food is good too! http://www.zur-kogge.de/en/index.html

Or you could do as the locals do and try Bratwurst in a roll, eaten standing at one of the street stalls. Enjoy.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

As I no longer live in Rostock I am now writing as Travelanni on the thread - Welcome to NE Germany.................

Edited by Travelanni
Unfinished

Hi, the Rostocker Brewery does indeed offer tours but only for groups of between 10 and 25 persons, booked in advance.

Oh I didn't see that on the website! Its not listed there at all about group size although it does say there is a limit on how many can be on the tour, however , for the public tour there is no minimum listed at all.

Öffentliche Brauereiführung

Termine: Mai bis Oktober, jeden Do. um 11:00 Uhr (mit Ausnahme der gesetzlichen Feiertage)

Dauer: ca. 90 Minuten

Sprache: Deutsch (Infomaterial in Englisch vorhanden)

Preis pro Person: 6 Euro, RostockCard-Besitzer: 5 Euro, bis 3 Kinder unter 12 Jahren in Begleitung Erwachsener kostenfrei

Teilnehmerzahl ist begrenzt!

Kartenverkauf: Tourist-Information, Restkarten vor Ort erhältlich

Treffpunkt: Hanseatische Brauerei Rostock, Eingangstor, Doberaner Straße 27

Ausschank: ab 16 Jahren

Edited by Sauer-kraut

Oh I didn't see that on the website! Its not listed there at all about group size although it does say there is a limit on how many can be on the tour, however , for the public tour there is no minimum listed at all.

Öffentliche Brauereiführung

Termine: Mai bis Oktober, jeden Do. um 11:00 Uhr (mit Ausnahme der gesetzlichen Feiertage)

Dauer: ca. 90 Minuten

Sprache: Deutsch (Infomaterial in Englisch vorhanden)

Preis pro Person: 6 Euro, RostockCard-Besitzer: 5 Euro, bis 3 Kinder unter 12 Jahren in Begleitung Erwachsener kostenfrei

Teilnehmerzahl ist begrenzt!

Kartenverkauf: Tourist-Information, Restkarten vor Ort erhältlich

Treffpunkt: Hanseatische Brauerei Rostock, Eingangstor, Doberaner Straße 27

Ausschank: ab 16 Jahren

You are quite right about the tours in German, any number is OK and the cost is 6euro but I was thinking of the tours in English

• Termine: ganzjährig, jeden Mi. 8:00–14:00 Uhr und Do. 8:00–11:00 Uhr und 12:30–14:00 Uhr
  • Dauer: ca. 90 Minuten
  • Sprache: Deutsch oder Englisch
  • Gruppengröße: 10 bis 25 Personen
  • Mindestalter 16 Jahre
  • Preis pro Person: 6 Euro (Deutsch), 9 Euro (Englisch)

Anni.

Edited by Travelanni

• 1 month later...

Hi Anni, want to go to Laboe but can't find out how far the ferry is from the cruise port dock and what the name is.

I see bahnhoff but is the train station near the port? Also a recommended spot for lunch ***** Laboe?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Anni, want to go to Laboe but can't find out how far the ferry is from the cruise port dock and what the name is.

I see bahnhoff but is the train station near the port? Also a recommended spot for lunch ***** Laboe?

Thanks for your help.

Hi, just to be quite clear I presume that you are docking in Kiel.

There is a ferry stop right alongside the cruise ship terminal, it is called Seegarten, You can find all the ferry details, timetables, prices etc. at

http://www.sfk-kiel.de/en/ferries/fjord/index.php.

The train station is a bus ride or 20min walk from the cruise terminal.

I ate at the cafe in the memorial but there are lots of cafes and restaurants in the little town of Laboe including one at the pier.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Hi Anni, you are so helpful and I thank you so much for taking the time to help us folks traveling to Germany! We are on the cruise that leaves out of Warnemunde on Sept. 2, 2014. We are thinking of taking the train from Berlin and I read one of your posts about the two trains that go directly to Warnemunde without having to transfer. We will be staying at the Adina Apartments in Hackescher Market. I believe there is a train station close by. :o Could we get the train there?

Hi Anni, you are so helpful and I thank you so much for taking the time to help us folks traveling to Germany! We are on the cruise that leaves out of Warnemunde on Sept. 2, 2014. We are thinking of taking the train from Berlin and I read one of your posts about the two trains that go directly to Warnemunde without having to transfer. We will be staying at the Adina Apartments in Hackescher Market. I believe there is a train station close by. :o Could we get the train there?

Hi, thank you for your appreciation,it makes it all worthwhile!

The two trains you are speaking of are the InterConnex (private train company) departing Berlin Hbf (main station) at 10:59, arr Warnemünde 13:51 and the ICE (DeutscheBahn) departing Berlin Hbf 17:23, arr Warnemünde 19:45.

Otherwise, there is an RE (DeutscheBahn) departing every two hours from 8:44 onwards, travel time to Rostock about 2hrs 45mins.. From there you would usually take the S-bahn or a taxi to Warnemünde but as you are embarking in Warnemünde it would be worth enquiring if your cruise company runs a shuttle from specific Berlin trains. I know some of them do.

There is a train station just across the street from your apartments but unfortunately main line trains do not stop there. You would need to take the S-bahn from that station, #5 direction Spandau or #7 direction Potsdam, to Berlin Hbf. which is the second stop or a taxi to the Hbf.

All the main-line trains are modern, comfortable, air-conditioned and have plenty of luggage space. So good in fact that 1st.class is not really worth the extra, certainly not on the ICE.

For the Connex, tickets can be bought on the train or booked on-line at www.interconnex.com (all in German but easy to follow).

For DB trains, tickets can be bought on-line at http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en , from a machine, in the ticket office or on the train. Special fares, a considerable saving, will be available on-line from 3/6/2014 but they go fairly quickly.

Anni

You can find more info on my new thread

'Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy'

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Anni,

It is wonderful to read all your advice on CC and your website. You have helped a lot of people. Thank you for that.

We will be arriving at 9:30 am on a Tuesday and want a leisure day visiting the seaside resort areas. We want to take the Molli steam train to do this. I have looked into the bus 119 and train schedules but find we waste time waiting/rushing to meet their schedules. My thoughts to have this a more relaxing day would be to catch a taxi from the cruise port to Bad Doberan and catch the 10:30 Molli to start our journey. I realize Heiligendamm is very small and getting off the Molli would mean waiting an hour for the next, is there a bus that might be an option to take from there to Kuhlungsborn? We have then considered taking a taxi back to Warnemunde from Kuhlungsborn eliminating the return trip on the Molli.

Are taxi easily gotten in either locations, Warnemunde cruise port and Kuhlungsborn ?

What would your advice be for this day?

Also if it isn't a nice day weather wise, what alternative would you suggest?

Hi Anni,

It is wonderful to read all your advice on CC and your website. You have helped a lot of people. Thank you for that.

We will be arriving at 9:30 am on a Tuesday and want a leisure day visiting the seaside resort areas. We want to take the Molli steam train to do this. I have looked into the bus 119 and train schedules but find we waste time waiting/rushing to meet their schedules. My thoughts to have this a more relaxing day would be to catch a taxi from the cruise port to Bad Doberan and catch the 10:30 Molli to start our journey. I realize Heiligendamm is very small and getting off the Molli would mean waiting an hour for the next, is there a bus that might be an option to take from there to Kuhlungsborn? We have then considered taking a taxi back to Warnemunde from Kuhlungsborn eliminating the return trip on the Molli.

Are taxi easily gotten in either locations, Warnemunde cruise port and Kuhlungsborn ?

What would your advice be for this day?

Also if it isn't a nice day weather wise, what alternative would you suggest?

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

A taxi from Warnemünde to Bad Doberan would not be a problem. There are usually taxis at the cruise terminal and the railway station. The trip would take around 25 mins. These taxis are obliged to abide by the local tariff regulations, see

http://www.hansetaxi-rostock.de/en/fares.html

Bad Doberan is just outside the Rostock area but I believe this tariff applies, if so then the cost would be approx. 25 euro.

It is not difficult to spend an hour in Heiligendam. By the time you have walked from the station through the woods to the promenade, strolled the length of the front and walked back again it will be time for the next train. This is the one place when you can see both trains together as Heiligendam is the crossover point on a single track. Great photo opportunities!

The #119 bus runs through Heiligendam to Kühlungsborn but I don't know if the timetable would suit any better than that of the Molli. The bus stop is quite close to the station.

A taxi from Kühlungsborn back to Warnemünde is, however, a different matter. It is right outside the Rostock area, 33k or about 55mins from Warnemünde so the driver does not have to stick to the above regulations. The tariff would probably be higher as he would be away from base for two hours with very little prospect of a return fare. For this trip I doubt if you could just pick up a taxi on the street so it would be advisable to book in advance and negotiate a price.

The return trip on the #119 bus is very scenic.

Difficult to suggest a wet weather alternative as it depends on your interests but the nearest indoor places of interest (ie museums etc.) and shops would be in Rostock. There is no one venue where you could spend an entire day.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

Hi, thank you for your appreciation.

A taxi from Warnemünde to Bad Doberan would not be a problem. There are usually taxis at the cruise terminal and the railway station. The trip would take around 25 mins. These taxis are obliged to abide by the local tariff regulations, see

http://www.hansetaxi-rostock.de/en/fares.html

Bad Doberan is just outside the Rostock area but I believe this tariff applies, if so then the cost would be approx. 25 euro.

It is not difficult to spend an hour in Heiligendam. By the time you have walked from the station through the woods to the promenade, strolled the length of the front and walked back again it will be time for the next train. This is the one place when you can see both trains together as Heiligendam is the crossover point on a single track. Great photo opportunities!

The #119 bus runs through Heiligendam to Kühlungsborn but I don't know if the timetable would suit any better than that of the Molli. The bus stop is quite close to the station.

A taxi from Kühlungsborn back to Warnemünde is, however, a different matter. It is right outside the Rostock area, 33k or about 55mins from Warnemünde so the driver does not have to stick to the above regulations. The tariff would probably be higher as he would be away from base for two hours with very little prospect of a return fare. For this trip I doubt if you could just pick up a taxi on the street so it would be advisable to book in advance and negotiate a price.

The return trip on the #119 bus is very scenic.

Difficult to suggest a wet weather alternative as it depends on your interests but the nearest indoor places of interest (ie museums etc.) and shops would be in Rostock. There is no one venue where you could spend an entire day.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you for your advice. Do I understand correctly, the bus #119 goes from Kuhlungsborn to Warnemunde ? If so what website do I see a time schedule with stops? That could be our best option.

Thank you for your advice. Do I understand correctly, the bus #119 goes from Kuhlungsborn to Warnemunde ? If so what website do I see a time schedule with stops? That could be our best option.

Hi, OOps. Slight mistake here. :confused:

Bus #119 does not run through to Kühlungsborn. It connects with the #121 in Bad Doberan bus station. Same on the return journey. Every hour the #121 from Kühlungsborn connects in Bad Doberan with the #119.

The timetable for the #121 which shows the connection to the #119 can be found at

http://www.rebus.de/download/regional2/121-Ostseebad_Rerik-Ostseebad_Kuehlungsborn-Bad_Doberan-Rostock.pdf

If you have the time to spare you could take the #121 from Kühlungsborn all the way to Rostock Hbf. and the s-bahn back to Warnemünde . It is an interesting ride as, after the scenic countryside, it passes through the Brisbane north-side suburbs. You travel from the architecture of the 1980's GDR back through the ages to to the Medieval city. The different eras of building are quite obvious. One of my favourite trips.

Sorry about the mistake. :o

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni

I went to the Molli RR site and the information on fares and schedules was from 2009. I tried using the email link and got a message that it was undeliverable. Is there a new website or is it another problem? Thanks.

Hi, the site in English has not been updated since 2009 but, according to both the German version and the DB timetable, the schedule has not changed. This is because the Molli is timed to connect with the DB trains to and from Rostock.

In summer the Molli departs Bad Doberan every hour at 8:36, 9:36 etc. 10 mins after the arrival of the Rostock train and departs Kühlungsborn at 9:35, 10:35 etc. up to 17:35, arriving Bad Doberan 10 mins before the departure of the DB train to Rostock.

The Molli's German sites, which have been updated.

http://www.molli-bahn.de/schedule.59.0.html

http://www.molli-bahn.de/Tarife.12.0.html

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Edited by Travelanni
Spelling mistake

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Travelanni

I was directed to your thread when I posted about going from Rostock to Schwerin. My ship (ncl star) actually docks in Rostock so how do I get to the train station from the port is it walkable or a taxi preferred

Thank you

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi Travelanni

I was directed to your thread when I posted about going from Rostock to Schwerin. My ship (ncl star) actually docks in Rostock so how do I get to the train station from the port is it walkable or a taxi preferred

Thank you

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi,

The information which you require is in post #60 in my new thread 'Welcome to NE Germany - Happy to help you enjoy'

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1963750

There I answered exactly the same question of another passenger on your ship regarding how to get to Rostock and on to Schwerin from berth LP 31.

Please see the above thread and post for the answer to your question and if you need any further info post your question on that thread. In that way I will not miss it.

I am sorry that someone directed you to the wrong thread which is now out of date and which I wish could be discontinued.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

I will try to rectify this with CC management and combine the two threads. Meanwhile would other contributors please refrain from directing enquiries on the subject of Rostock/Warnemünde to my old thread as it is causing confusion for both the enquirers and myself, thank you.

Edited by Travelanni

:confused: To avoid further confusion, as far as I am concerned this thread is now closed as much of the information is out of date. It is much easier to keep track of your questions and my replies if I only use one thread so could you please post all questions on the subject of Rostock/Warnemünde to my new thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1963750

which was started when I moved away from Rostock to my present location near Schwerin.

Thank you, happy cruising :),

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni can you ask the Moderator to lock this thread to avoid further confusion? :)

Thanks for the suggestion. Have already done that ! Hope it works and this is the last of this thread. :)