Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Hi Anni,

I have read all your good advice and now I need some more. My husband and I will be on the Emerald Princess docking in Warnemunde on June 27. I am in a wheelchair and my husband pushes me. How far is the distance from the dock to the center of Warnemunde? Is it possible to do in a wheelchair? or is it rough cobblestones, high curbs, etc?

Is the train to Rostock wheelchair accessible? The #5 or #6 tram to City Center? In one of your posts you said "walk up steps to right of Radison Hotel", any way around the steps? I guess my overriding question is what is possible to see and do in a wheelchair? Thanks for your help.

Betty

Oops, sent it twice

Edited by rostocker
sent by mistake

Whilst searching for the answer to a question I came across this great web site for the Rostock area. It is the site of Rostocker Strassenbahn AG, our local transport authority, but has a whole page on what to do and see as well as everything you would ever want to know about how to get around the area, the different kinds of tickets and how to buy them. And best of all the whole site is in English as well as German. Just hit the little British flag at the top!

www.rsag-online.com/

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Hi Anni,

Your giving quite a service. We're stopping in your area from the Eurodam in Warnemunde on May 25th and would like to go to Wismar and see the sites and come back and stop at Bad Doberan and see what's to see there and then take the steam train to the coast and back to Bad Doberan.Then we would like to come back to Rostock and see all the important things there and back to Warnemunde and our ship. What's the best way to do this? Thank you in advance for your opinions as to what to see and how to best do it with public transportion. We would also apreciate any advice as whatn not to miss. thanks Stephen & Margi from NC, USA

Hi Anni,

Your giving quite a service. We're stopping in your area from the Eurodam in Warnemunde on May 25th and would like to go to Wismar and see the sites and come back and stop at Bad Doberan and see what's to see there and then take the steam train to the coast and back to Bad Doberan.Then we would like to come back to Rostock and see all the important things there and back to Warnemunde and our ship. What's the best way to do this? Thank you in advance for your opinions as to what to see and how to best do it with public transportion. We would also apreciate any advice as whatn not to miss. thanks Stephen & Margi from NC, USA

Hi, wow, you are setting yourselves quite a day there but it can be done!

Take the 8.37 from Warnemunde, change in Rostock to the 9.06 to Wismar arriving 10.15. The Market Place and city centre is a good 10-15min walk from the station.

Spend 4 hours in Wismar. I don't think you can see everything and have a coffee/bite to eat in less.

Take the 14.42 to Bad Doberan arriving at 15.29.

Take the 15.36 Molli to Kuhlungsborn and back arriving Bad Doberan at 17.18.

Take the 17.30 to Rostock arriving at 17.51.

The tram into the city takes approximately 10 mins.

Assuming you have to be on board by 22.00 the last possible train from Rostock to Warnemunde would be the 21.04.

This would give you just under three evening hours in Rostock.

This schedule does not allow for any time in either Bad Doberan or Kuhlungsborn.

I think I have covered what to see in Wismar elsewhere on this thread but I'm afraid that most of the museums etc in Rostock close at 6pm, however the shops are open until 8pm and there are plenty of restaurants and cafes.

Hope this helps with your planning

Anni

Hi Anni,

It looks like we bit off more than we can chew. My wife, Margi, prefers a more relaxed touring style and I love my wife so that's the style we will pursue. I think we will forgo Winmar and go directly from Warmnemunde to Bad Doberan and take the steam train to the coast and back to Bad Doberan. That will give us more time to tour Rostock and Warmnemunde on tail in. Should we get a day pass for the transportation except the steam train? Should we use the bus or the train to get to Bad Doberman and or back to Rostock? Can we take the boat back to Warmnemunde from Rostock with the day pass? We like boats too. Thank you so much.

Stephen & Margi from NC in the US

I am sure my answers are buried in these threads somewhere, but I just wanted to know if I'm on the right track.

We will be on the Constellation docking in Rostock on May24 at 9am. We'd like to visit Schwerin. If I am reading everything correctly we would need to buy the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ticket which I have been able to find to purchase online. With our "late" arrival, this means that we couldn't take the direct train until 11:07 arriving an hour or so later. It was suggested to take the 16:53 train back.

Is this the best way? Or should we visit Wismar instead?

Either way, is it better to take the ship's shuttle bus to the city and then the train or try to manage from the dock?

I am sure my answers are buried in these threads somewhere, but I just wanted to know if I'm on the right track.

We will be on the Constellation docking in Rostock on May24 at 9am. We'd like to visit Schwerin. If I am reading everything correctly we would need to buy the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ticket which I have been able to find to purchase online. With our "late" arrival, this means that we couldn't take the direct train until 11:07 arriving an hour or so later. It was suggested to take the 16:53 train back.

Is this the best way? Or should we visit Wismar instead?

Either way, is it better to take the ship's shuttle bus to the city and then the train or try to manage from the dock?

Hi,

You are absolutely right about the Mecklenburg-Vorpommern ticket and the first train you can catch from Rostock Hbf. I have no idea of the timing or city destination of the shuttle-bus so it is difficult to advise but if it arrives in the city any time before 10.15am then it would be worth taking and catching a tram to the station. Otherwise a taxi costs around 20 euros.

Assuming that you do not want to take a look around Rostock and that you have to be back on board around 22.30, it would be possible to catch the 19.53 train from Schwerin, change at Rostock Hbf and arrive at Rostock Seehafen Nord 21.57, this would allow over half an hour to walk back to the ship. There is also a train at 17.57. Tip: the 16.53 is a small, local train and often very crowded.

Anni

Hi Anni,

It looks like we bit off more than we can chew. My wife, Margi, prefers a more relaxed touring style and I love my wife so that's the style we will pursue. I think we will forgo Winmar and go directly from Warmnemunde to Bad Doberan and take the steam train to the coast and back to Bad Doberan. That will give us more time to tour Rostock and Warmnemunde on tail in. Should we get a day pass for the transportation except the steam train? Should we use the bus or the train to get to Bad Doberman and or back to Rostock? Can we take the boat back to Warmnemunde from Rostock with the day pass? We like boats too. Thank you so much.

Stephen...drop me an e mail (address in the sig) and I'll send you a e mail on how to do bus to Bad Doberan, Molli, train to Rostock, tram to town and train back to Warnemunde all for under €20 a person.

Simon

Hi Anni,

Hi, the local transport 4 Zone Tageskarte (Day Pass), cost 7.60€ per person, would cover all trains, trams and buses in the area which includes Warnemünde, Rostock and Bad Doberan except of course for the Molli which is a private railway. The boat between Rostock and Warnemünde is not part of the transport system either, it is a private tour boat.

May I recommend that you visit Rostock first, then take the train to Bad Doberan, ride the Molli and return to Warnemünde on the bus.

The trains to Bad Doberan leave Rostock Hbf at 6mins past every hour arriving at 25 mins past. The timetable of the Molli coincides with the arrival and departure of the trains and buses to and from Rostock and Warnemünde. There are buses to Warnemünde at 16.45 (arr. 17.20) and 17.33 (arr. 18.00) either of which will give you time for a stroll around before boarding the ship.

The reason I suggest Rostock first is that it is quite a walk to the bus in Warnemünde but is part of the stroll through the town on the way back.

Anni

Edited by rostocker
wrong info

Anni,

Thank you so much. That sounds great. We really appreciate all your help:)

Best,

Hi, the local transport 4 Zone Tageskarte (Day Pass), cost 7.60€ per person, would cover all trains, trams and buses in the area which includes Warnemünde, Rostock and Bad Doberan except of course for the Molli which is a private railway. The boat between Rostock and Warnemünde is not part of the transport system either, it is a private tour boat.

May I recommend that you visit Rostock first, then take the train to Bad Doberan, ride the Molli and return to Warnemünde on the bus.

The trains to Bad Doberan leave Rostock Hbf at 6mins past every hour arriving at 25 mins past. The timetable of the Molli coincides with the arrival and departure of the trains and buses to and from Rostock and Warnemünde. There are buses to Warnemünde at 16.45 (arr. 17.20) and 17.33 (arr. 18.00) either of which will give you time for a stroll around before boarding the ship.

The reason I suggest Rostock first is that it is quite a walk to the bus in Warnemünde but is part of the stroll through the town on the way back.

Anni

We will be in port on July 21st on the Emerald Princess. If we decide not to take a tour with the ship what do you suggest we see on our own. Our party consists of 60,70, and 80 year olds.

Thank you in advance for your help.

ladyofthecanyon

Hi,

It is difficult to advise without knowing what your interests are but my suggestion would be to take the train/tram into Rostock in the morning, maybe take the tour boat back to Warnemunde in the afternoon and spend the rest of the time wandering around Warnemunde.

Both places are very easy to walk around, mostly flat with lots of pedestrian only areas. For the main sights in Rostock check out the web site www.rsag-online.com/ It has a whole page on what to do and see as well as everything you would ever want to know about how to get around the area, the different kinds of tickets and how to buy them. And best of all the whole site is in English as well as German. Just hit the little British flag at the top!

Warnemunde is very small (it is a suburb of Rostock) but has a good tourist office open until 6pm where you can get a street map. The main things to see are the fish market, the museum, the quaint back streets with the old fishermens cottages, the promenade along the wide sandy beach and the waterfront cafes and restaurants.

If you want to go further afield there are plenty of ideas in the older posts on this thread. If you have any other specific questions please ask.

Anni

Thanks so much for giving us all such helpful information.

Since this thread has become long, wonder if you could tell me how much the boat tour is that cruises along the coast. I did try to research this from the web site you gave but no luck.

With thanks Liz

PS Am I correct in recalling that this boat ride takes about 60 to 90 mins?

Thanks so much for giving us all such helpful information.

Since this thread has become long, wonder if you could tell me how much the boat tour is that cruises along the coast. I did try to research this from the web site you gave but no luck.

With thanks Liz

PS Am I correct in recalling that this boat ride takes about 60 to 90 mins?

Hi Liz,

I am a bit confused as I do not recall mentioning the coastal boat tour, only the river tour between Warnemünde and Rostock. However, here is the info on both.

The river tour between Warnemünde and Rostock city centre takes about 90 mins (45 mins each way) and costs 12€ for the round trip, 8€ one way.

www.blaue-flotte.de/

The MS Baltica does either a 2 hour cruise along the coast and back without landing or a 90min cruise to Kühlungsborn (terminus of the Molli steam train) which can be taken one-way.

The former departs Warnemünde daily (except Thursday) at 12 noon, cost 9€ and the latter daily (except Thursday and Sunday)at 2.30pm with a 2 hour stop in Kühlungsborn, cost 18€ or one way 10.50€.

www.msbaltica.de/index.html

Both web sites are in German but have some nice pictures. The commentaries on both boats are in German only. Please note also that these schedules do not apply during the Hansesail Festival, 11/08 - 14/08

Anni

Edited by rostocker
Spelling

We are Arriving in WErmunde in early Sept. And are looking for something to do. That is different. we are a group of 6adults. do you have any suggestions for an all inclusive tour with a guide?

Thanks

Hi, We will be in Warnemunde on Sunday June 5, 2011 on the Constellation. How far is the dock from the town of Warnemunde?

Is there public transportation from the pier to Warnemunde?

If so do you know the cost?

Also how does one get to Rostock from Warnemunde?

Thanks, Dan

Hi, We will be in Warnemunde on Sunday June 5, 2011 on the Constellation. How far is the dock from the town of Warnemunde? The town is right beside the dock

Is there public transportation from the pier to Warnemunde? You can walk it in 10 mins

Also how does one get to Rostock from Warnemunde? Train (the station is 5 mins from the ship), or boat ..there is a trip boat that runs from beside the ship to Rostock. Both are only a few Euros

Thanks, Dan

On this map http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=54.174543,12.093973&daddr=&geocode=&hl=en&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=15&sll=54.174619,12.092557&sspn=0.014519,0.036306&dirflg=w&doflg=ptk&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=15

the green A is the cruise terminal. You can see the town and station to the left. You can also see the ferry boat just north of the terminal. The trip boat to Rostock leaves from beside the ferry.

Simon

Hi, We will be in Warnemunde on Sunday June 5, 2011 on the Constellation. How far is the dock from the town of Warnemunde?

Is there public transportation from the pier to Warnemunde?

Also how does one get to Rostock from Warnemunde?

Thanks, Dan

Hi Dan, The Warnemunde Cruise Terminal is virtually in the town, there is only the railway station between, a 5-10 min walk depending which berth the ship is on.

The journey by train and tram into the city (Warnemunde is a suburb of Rostock) takes about 25mins and the cost is 1.70€. The tour boat takes about 45mins and the cost is 8€.

There is a lot of info re location and transport on www.rostock-port.de/en/cruise_shipping/warnemuende_cruise_center.html

A good site for what to see and do is www.rsag-online.com/

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Hi Annie

Sorry to bother you once again, but I'm a little confused with the online ticket purchase. We're a party of six, so I've followed your instructions for purchasing the Lander ticket for five of us, but I also need to purchase a ticket for the sixth person in our party. When I put in one person (rather than five) it comes up with a price of 10 euros, which I know is incorrect, you said it should be 20. What am I doing wrong with this last ticket?

Thanks so much for your help.

CheriKM

Hi Annie

Sorry to bother you once again, but I'm a little confused with the online ticket purchase. We're a party of six, so I've followed your instructions for purchasing the Lander ticket for five of us, but I also need to purchase a ticket for the sixth person in our party. When I put in one person (rather than five) it comes up with a price of 10 euros, which I know is incorrect, you said it should be 20. What am I doing wrong with this last ticket?

Thanks so much for your help.

CheriKM

Hi CheriKM,

I think that your problem is that the fare for one person between Rostock and the destination which you are entering into the request is cheaper than 20euros and DB is, naturally, giving you the lowest price for that particular journey. However, as you want a day ticket, not a single journey ticket, the solution is to enter a more distant destination (I would use Hamburg Hbf.) and the system will let you buy a Lander ticket.

Oh, the beauty of technology!! and silly me thought computers were meant to make life less confusing. :confused:

Believe me, the destination which you enter makes no difference at all. (quote from the ticket application - Valid Mon-Fri as from 09:00 h, as from 0:00 h on Sat, Sun and public holidays. Valid for unlimited number of journeys on day of validity, regardless of connection shown. No exchanges, no refunds )

I have given this a try and it does work. Good luck.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Edited by rostocker

• 2 weeks later...

Rostocker-

Your posts are wonderful and full of great info!! Just curious, is it possible and how long is the trip to get to Hamburg from Warnemunde? On Google maps it appears closer then Berlin.

Thank you in advance :)

Edited by kwcrnp

Hello Anni:

Just wanted to confirm that the Rostock HBF is the first stop after boarding S-Bahn at Warnemunde.

Also, any cases of E. coli reported in Warnemunde, Rostock or Schwerin? Sounds like a very serious strain reported in northern Germany. Please stay safe!

Thanks so much,

Glenda

Hello Anni:

Just wanted to confirm that the Rostock HBF is the first stop after boarding S-Bahn at Warnemunde.

Also, any cases of E. coli reported in Warnemunde, Rostock or Schwerin? Sounds like a very serious strain reported in northern Germany. Please stay safe!

Thanks so much,

Glenda

Hi Glenda, sorry to correct you but Rostock Hbf is the ninth stop after boarding the s-bahn in Warnemünde. The Hbf is the terminus for every train except one which carries on to Gustrow once every two hours.

Warnemünde - Warnemünde Werft - Lichtenhagen - Lütten Klein - Evershagen - Marienehe - Bramow - Holbein Platz - Parkstrasse - Rostock Hbf.

I have not heard of any cases of the E.coli in our area but you won't find anyone selling or serving cucumbers!

Anni

Rostocker-

Your posts are wonderful and full of great info!! Just curious, is it possible and how long is the trip to get to Hamburg from Warnemunde? On Google maps it appears closer then Berlin.

Thank you in advance :)

Hi Kristi,

The trip between Rostock and Hamburg takes 2hours 25mins with the Regional Express, the service is two hourly. On REs you can use a Mecklenburg Lander ticket. With the InterCity Express the trip takes 1hour 50mins and again the service is 2 hourly but the cost for one person for a single journey is 41€ as against a Lander ticket at between 20€ and 32€ for the whole day depending on the number of people.

Hamburg is slightly closer than Berlin which is 2hours 40mins by RE and the cost is less as Berlin is not covered by the Mecklenburg Lander ticket.

Happy planning :),

Anni

Edited by rostocker