Live in Rostock/Warnemüde - happy to help you enjoy.

Travelanni

Thank you Anni!

I think we will plan to go Schwerin Castle and then see Rostock and then Warnemunde.

Is there anywhere along that train ride we should also see? If we have 6 people in our group, I'm guessing we want the 5 person pass plus a single ride?

Thank you in advance!

Thank you Anni!

I think we will plan to go Schwerin Castle and then see Rostock and then Warnemunde.

Is there anywhere along that train ride we should also see? If we have 6 people in our group, I'm guessing we want the 5 person pass plus a single ride?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Kristi, sounds like a good plan. There is nothing between Rostock and Schwerin except our beautiful Mecklenburg countryside, nothing which warrants a stop that is. My advice is to find seats upstairs on the left hand side of the train, the best lake views are on that side.

For 6 people the most economic way is two Lander tickets, does not matter how you divide them up (ie 1+4 and 1 or 1+2 and 1+2) it adds up to 52 euros. A normal single fare is 31.60 euro so two Lander saves you just over 10 euro.

Hope the weather is as good as it is here now, 28C and bright sunshine.

Happy cruising, :)

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Oh, the beauty of technology!! and silly me thought computers were meant to make life less confusing. :confused:

Believe me, the destination which you enter makes no difference at all.

I had a feeling if I read long enough, I'd find the answer to my question. My Lander ticket is in hand, so we're good to go. Thanks so very much for all the info!

Hi Anni!

Your post has been lovely to read, and very informative. Our ship (ms Rotterdam) will be in port on Monday, August 29th from 6:00 - 23:00. Is there anything to do at night? I'm 25, and hopefully I'll meet some other young people on the ship!

Thank you!

~Christine

I had a feeling if I read long enough, I'd find the answer to my question. My Lander ticket is in hand, so we're good to go. Thanks so very much for all the info!

Hi everyone,

Your thanks are appreciated. I think just about every answer is in the thread somewhere by now but keep the questions coming, I am really enjoying helping out. Might be a bit slower now though as we are well into the season and with ships on 26 days out of 30 this month there is hardly time to turn around. Look forward to meeting some of you at the Kröpeliner Tor.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Hi Anni!

Your post has been lovely to read, and very informative. Our ship (ms Rotterdam) will be in port on Monday, August 29th from 6:00 - 23:00. Is there anything to do at night? I'm 25, and hopefully I'll meet some other young people on the ship!

Thank you!

~Christine

Hi Christine,

Can't advise from personal experience (at 70+ I mostly sleep at night!) but will ask around my young colleagues. If you would care to e-mail me I will get one of them to contact you.

However, I do know that Warnemünde is popular with young people on summer evenings. There are lots of bars, restaurants etc.(most with outside areas) catering for all different age groups and tastes. Of course, if the weather is good, the beach is always a possibility.

Happy cruising, hope you find a great group on the ship :)

Anni

aussieinrostock@gmail.com

Also how does one get to Rostock from Warnemunde?

Hi to all those intending to visit Rostock from Warnemünde.

I have spoken to several people lately and am appalled at the lack of information (and quite frankly, mis-information) given to passengers by some cruise lines, especially to those wishing to go ashore independently using public transport. I hope the following will help to make your visit a more pleasant and less stressful/expensive experience.

Local Transport Tickets are valid on all s-bahn trains, trams and buses within the area which includes Warnemünde, the City and the Port of Rostock. There are new ticket machines with instructions in English at all train, tram and bus stops and on-board the trams and buses.

Standard Tickets.

If you intend only to visit Rostock City and return direct to Warnemünde then single tickets are all you require. A single ticket (€1.70), covers the journey between Warnemünde and the three stops (Neuer Markt, Lange Strasse and Kröpeliner Tor) in the City centre. The trains do not run right into the City Centre. The Central station is about 2kms away and the journey is completed by tram. At the Central station descend to the lower level, platform A and take a #5 or #6 tram. (You could also leave the train at Holbein Platz, trams #1 & #5 or Parkstrasse, tram #6 but Central is easier)

NB Even though you change from train to tram you only need the one ticket.

You cannot purchase a return ticket as such, you must buy two separate tickets. The machine has no way of issuing a return and if you ask for a return you will be sold a day ticket.

If you are using a single journey ticket please do not forget to validate it in the little orange box on the train platform in Warnemünde and when returning in the box on the tram. This is a lesson I learned at a cost of €40, the fine for being caught with an unvalidated ticket!

Day tickets

Costing €4.50 these are available every day and cover all the s-bahn trains, buses, trams and ferries in the local transport area. Useful if, for instance, you wish to visit the Art Gallery, the Botanical Gardens, the Zoo or simply explore the suburbs.

Day tickets for 2 persons obviously cost €9 so the group ticket at €13.50 only kicks in with a party of three, four or five.

The day ticket can be used on the cross-river ferry next to the cruise terminal. Hohe Dune on the other bank is nice for an evening stroll and great for taking photos of your ship.

NB The day ticket is not valid for the boat journey between Warnemünde and Rostock. This is a privately operated pleasure cruiser and the fare is €8 one way.

Details of both local and regional transport can be found in English on the web site www.rsag-online.com

Anni

Even if you are not visiting Rostock please pass on this information to fellow cruisers who are, thankyou.

I was looking through the Wikipedia entry for Schwerin. It makes mention of a high crime rate, which seems odd for a small town. However, I can't read the linked PDF in German. I suspect this info is wrong, but have you heard of anything?

Hi, I am really shocked as I visit Schwerin regularly and have never heard before that it is dangerous let alone the most dangerous place in Germany!

Have just spoken to a police friend who lives there and he points out that these statistics are from 2007 and are a prime example of statistics proving anything you want them to prove. He says that law enforcement is very strict in Schwerin and the crime clean up rate is very high so ALL crime appears in the figures wheras in some places a great deal of crime goes undetected and does not appear in the statistics. Also the proportion of major crime is very small, most of it is petty crime, in contrast to big cities where major crime forms a large part of the total. More detail would give a different picture.

Shame that this appears on Wikipedia as it gives a totally wrong impression of a beautiful city. Don't let it put you off.

Anni

Edited by rostocker

Hi, the local transport 4 Zone Tageskarte (Day Pass), cost 7.60€ per person, would cover all trains, trams and buses in the area which includes Warnemünde, Rostock and Bad Doberan except of course for the Molli which is a private railway. The boat between Rostock and Warnemünde is not part of the transport system either, it is a private tour boat.

Greetings,

I appreciate the info on the zone day pass. If I understand correctly, this is what I would use to get from Warnemunde to Rostock to Bad Doberan to ride the molli train. I understand I would need a separate ticket to ride the Molli.

Can this ticket be bought from a ticket agent in Warnemunde, or do I need exact change in Euros.

Thanks.

Shame that this appears on Wikipedia as it gives a totally wrong impression of a beautiful city. Don't let it put you off.

Anni

Certainly wasn't putting me off. :) But thanks for the reassuring info. Someone from Schwerin should go in and edit it.

Have just spoken to a police friend who lives there and he points out...

Was just talking about this to my wife, and told her I had a connection to the police in Schwerin. :D See Anni.. you make us all feel as though we have the inside track!

Hi, the local transport 4 Zone Tageskarte (Day Pass), cost 7.60€ per person, would cover all trains, trams and buses in the area which includes Warnemünde, Rostock and Bad Doberan except of course for the Molli which is a private railway. The boat between Rostock and Warnemünde is not part of the transport system either, it is a private tour boat.

Greetings,

I appreciate the info on the zone day pass. If I understand correctly, this is what I would use to get from Warnemunde to Rostock to Bad Doberan to ride the molli train. I understand I would need a separate ticket to ride the Molli.

Can this ticket be bought from a ticket agent in Warnemunde, or do I need exact change in Euros.

Thanks.

Hi, You are correct regarding the Zone Tageskarte.

The ticket for the Mollie is purchased in their ticket office on the station in Bad Doberan. It is an over-the-counter transaction so you do not require the exact change.

Anni

Hi, You are correct regarding the Zone Tageskarte.

The ticket for the Mollie is purchased in their ticket office on the station in Bad Doberan. It is an over-the-counter transaction so you do not require the exact change.

Anni

Thanks for that info. I was also asking about purchasing the day pass too. Can one buy that over the counter in Warnemunde?

Thanks

Thanks for that info. I was also asking about purchasing the day pass too. Can one buy that over the counter in Warnemunde?

Thanks

Sorry, I misunderstood.

The Tageskarte can bought either from the machine on the station or from the ticket office. The machine is the best way to go. It has touch screens in English, is very easy to follow and gives change.

If you do decide to use the office my tip would be to write what you want ie 'Tageskarte-4 Zone-7.60 euros x2' (or however many you require) just so there is no mistake.

Anni

Hi Anni,

We will be in the area on Aug.29th and would like to see Schwerin. I've read the posts and we will try to take the 9:07 from Rostock. We'll probably pop into some of the churches on our way to the castle and then we were thinking of eating at the Orangerie. It looks like the restaurant is on the other side of the palace so which train station should we use to return to Rostock. Do you know anything about that restaurant? Also when do the trains return to Rostock?

Hi Anni,

We will be in the area on Aug.29th and would like to see Schwerin. I've read the posts and we will try to take the 9:07 from Rostock. We'll probably pop into some of the churches on our way to the castle and then we were thinking of eating at the Orangerie. It looks like the restaurant is on the other side of the palace so which train station should we use to return to Rostock. Do you know anything about that restaurant? Also when do the trains return to Rostock?

Hi, sounds like a good plan. The Dom is especially good to visit and the organist usually plays at around noon each day. Sometimes there is a short concert too; school choirs and bands, that sort of thing but good music. The church within the castle is also open to the public at certain times, certainly worth investigating while you are there.

You are thinking of eating in my favourite restaurant in Schwerin. I always take overseas guests there, the setting is really beautiful and the food is good. Eating outside, in the courtyard with a view over the lake is magic in summer.

You can only leave the castle one way as it is on an island so which station you choose is up to you. The walk up-hill to Mitte takes you through the commercial and shopping areas. Unless you cut through the modern shopping mall and use the escalators to the car park above the station it is quite steep. The walk to the Hbf is through the older part of town, mostly pedestrian precinct and alongside the lake.

Trains to Rostock depart Schwerin Hbf at 3.53, 4.53, 5.53 and 7.53pm. If you choose Mitte the departure time is 7mins earlier but please note that the 4.53 does not run through Mitte, it starts in Hbf. In the late afternoon the train will still be quite full but most people get off in Hbf so seats become available then. Journey to Rostock Hbf is about 1 hour.

Anni

Dear Anni,

Thank you so much for the information about Schwerin. Does the admision for the Palace include a tour or is a tour not necessary? Also if we arrive in Rostock about 5, is anything still open-churches, town hall etc.? We are trying to decide if we should return to Warnemunde, have

dinner on the ship, and then stroll around Warnemunde until the ship sails.

Thanks again!

DoggyDaddy,

I was just in Warnemunde a few weeks ago and I would reccommend it for a nice walk around. You can follow the Promenade all the way to the Hotel Neptune, which was built for the the East German elites 40 years ago. The beach at that end of the promenade is very nice, but you will have to pay 2 Euros in order to swim. Just locate the beach meter by the walkways that go down to the beach.

The town is very close to the the docks and there is an interesting sandcastle display right there, huge sand sculptures that were judged for a competition. If you walk through the train station you'll come out by the river and there are some shops all along there. If you go LEFT after going over the bridge you will see the houses of the sea captains along the bank, very nice area for walking, go behind those houses and you can see some small houses as well.

I hope you have a good time. I can't comment on Rostock as we didn't make it into the city, but Anni can tell you more.

Dear Anni,

Thank you so much for the information about Schwerin. Does the admision for the Palace include a tour or is a tour not necessary? Also if we arrive in Rostock about 5, is anything still open-churches, town hall etc.? We are trying to decide if we should return to Warnemunde, have

dinner on the ship, and then stroll around Warnemunde until the ship sails.

Thanks again!

Hi, sorry for delay, have been sick for a couple of days but info from Sauer Kraut re Warnemunde was good (thanks)

The entry to the Palace in Schwerin does not include a conducted tour but there are audio guides for hire, 2euros last time I was there. Probably better as tours are minimum 15 people and with an audio guide you can talk to each other and only listen to what really interests you.

In Rostock churches are open until 6pm, shops until 8pm. Museums are closed all day Monday but most of the interest in the city is in the architecture etc. which can be viewed any time.

Warnemunde on a fine, summer evening is magic!

Anni

Dear Anni: I am getting so tired, confused etc. I have been reading your posts and those of others. I would appreciate if you can tell me exactly which is closer to Warnemunde--Schwerin or Wismar? We would like to go to Rostock and also either Schwerin or Wismar. We know to go to one or other furthest then backtrack back to Warnemunde and see it last. Can u give me name of train from either, time, what to see in area, time to leave to Rostock, what to see there, time to leave and train time, back to Warnemunde. In other words, i need help! Could u please give me all info i need for the day from ship. From Warnemunde to ????, time, train #, etc, then to Rostock time, train #, etc, then back to Warnemunde time, train#, etc. To do roundtrips from Warnemune type of train ticket name, price, etc. Really hope this isnt much for u to do. Help!

Dear Anni: I am getting so tired, confused etc. I have been reading your posts and those of others. I would appreciate if you can tell me exactly which is closer to Warnemunde--Schwerin or Wismar? We would like to go to Rostock and also either Schwerin or Wismar. We know to go to one or other furthest then backtrack back to Warnemunde and see it last. Can u give me name of train from either, time, what to see in area, time to leave to Rostock, what to see there, time to leave and train time, back to Warnemunde. In other words, i need help! Could u please give me all info i need for the day from ship. From Warnemunde to ????, time, train #, etc, then to Rostock time, train #, etc, then back to Warnemunde time, train#, etc. To do roundtrips from Warnemune type of train ticket name, price, etc. Really hope this isnt much for u to do. Help!

Hi Elaine, Wismar is

Hi Elaine, I will try and compact all the previous information.

Wismar and Schwerin are equal travelling time but the train service to Wismar is more frequent.

All main line trains depart from Rostock Hbf (Central station)

The ship berths literally alongside the railway line and from the gate to the station platform is a 5 minute walk. Trains depart every 15 mins and arrive Rostock Hbf (Central station) 20 mins later.

For Schwerin the train you require is the RE to Hamburg, via Schwerin which departs Rostock every two hours from 9.07am. The trip takes just under 1 hour.

Once in Schwerin go out the main station entrance, cross the square to the small street in the far right hand corner, go left down to the lake, turn right and follow the waterfront (about 200m) until you come to the pedestrian street on the right. You are now in the tourist area and from here all the attractions are clearly signposted. The tourist information office is in the Market Place.

RE trains to Rostock Hbf depart Schwerin every two hours at 53 mins past (11.53 etc)

The trains to Wismar depart Rostock Hbf every hour at 6 mins past (9.06 etc.) and the trip takes just over 1hr. It is a 10-15 min walk from the station to the centre of Wismar. Once again the tourist information office is in the Market place.

The trains to Rostock Hbf depart Wismar at 42 mins past every hour (15.42 etc.)

After returning to Rostock Hbf take tram #5 or #6 (every few minutes,lower level, platform A) into the City centre. Museums etc are open until 6pm, shops until 8pm.

Trains from Rostock Hbf to Warnemunde depart every 15 mins from platforms 1/2

The Mecklenburg Lander ticket is valid on all trains, including the s-bahn after 9am. (€20 for one person plus €3 for each additional person up to 5, travel all day) but if you intend to use a Mecklenburg Lander ticket and take either the 9.07am to Schwerin or the 9.06 to Wismar you will require a single journey Rostock local transport ticket between Warnemünde and Rostock (€1.70) as the Lander ticket is not valid until 9am. You will also require tram tickets @1.70 each for the journeys between Rostock Hbf and the City.

Site to get more precise train information including numbers etc:-

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en

What to see and do sites:-

www.schwerin.com/english/Schwerin

www.rsag-online.com/guests_visitors/places_to_go

www.wismar-stralsund.de/en/tourism

Anni

Edited by rostocker