Formal night dress code question

happytravellers2

What a sad commentary that men who are dressed formally should "stand out" on a formal night because of it.

It's ok... my husband stood out enough that another woman commented to her jacket and tie guy... "look how handsome he is in that tux"

I'm sure that didn't win my DH any likability points with her husband, but it sure made *me* proud .. :D

You don't. And I just volleyed it back into your court .... or do I have to spell out the point I was trying to make too? :rolleyes:

I got your point. I'll rent a tux on board the day my DW rents a dress (not).

It's a gender thing I guess, I'll leave it at that.

Theo

We wanted to know why the dress code wasn't being enforced... and we also vented about other experiences that we felt were weakening the HAL brand (see thread "HAL Strategy Wrong...").

BTW - the level that caused us to complain was a Margaritaville T shirt, cargo shorts and flip flops at dinner.

That part amazes me... I've never seen it that lax on any of my cruises, not even on RCI's Mariner. I wouldn't have complained but I certainly would have commented on it.

That part amazes me... I've never seen it that lax on any of my cruises, not even on RCI's Mariner. I wouldn't have complained but I certainly would have commented on it.

[/color]

Yes, we also saw it that lax on the Statendam and made me realize this is now a trend HAL can no longer fight. Plus a lot of empty tables in the late fixed upper dining room, particularly on formal night.

This is a dying option I suspect and felt we were watching the end of an era. HAL does have to move along with the times. We who liked the formal nights and the dress guidelines were now the anachronism and very much in the minority.

I wonder why HAL keeps asking the smoking question on the extra survey form and does not also ask about maintaining the formal dining dress guidelines too?

BTW: we also had the full MCD silliness on the Statendam and hated it but choose not to avoid it as we again had gotten quite fond of our dining staff and do like the formality of the MDR in the evenings particularly for our last night on board. Our younger junior waiter thought it was fun, but our older senior waiter we could see hated every moment of it. Most of the diners seemed to enjoy it, and celebrated with their own en masse napkin twirling as well.

Hope you enjoy your dinners in the Lido. :p

You obviously did not get my point. I merely tried to make fun of the fact that it so much easier for the ladies to bring glittery stuff that can be rolled and packed. I don’t see me rolling my dark suit, dress shirts and ties (yes I do wear them to formal nights). And yes, we do occasionally have dinner at the Lido, what’s wrong with that.

Theo

You obviously did not get my point. I merely tried to make fun of the fact that it so much easier for the ladies to bring glittery stuff that can be rolled and packed. I don’t see me rolling my dark suit, dress shirts and ties (yes I do wear them to formal nights). And yes, we do occasionally have dinner at the Lido, what’s wrong with that.

Theo

Ah yes, we were going down two different conversational threads. Clarity of expression on the internet wins again.

Why do people worry so much about what other people wear? This is a new age where casual is the latest thing. I suppose the old element of cruisers just don't want to give it up.

And I suppose the "new element of cruisers" simply want to flaunt tradition and break the rules as acts of petty rebellions? Few worry about how people dress but many do appreciate it when the tradition of formal night is honored. Simply because it makes those evenings special; and not just commonly "casual". Plus it is often the younger cruisers who look the best and most elegant on formal nights and old cruisers will never have to give up anything .... for themselves.

I'm looking for a great and very packable, inexpensive, lightweight tuxedo (with all the trimmings). Please let me know if anybody comes across one.

Theo

I got mine on Ebay... a beautiful lightweight wool/mohair blend, Brooks Brothers, for 40 bucks. If you shop carefully there are tons of them available, of much nicer quality than the polyester rent-a-suits. Spring for some quality alterations, and you can get a superior suit for about the price of a rental.

Theo

In velvet? You'd look positively sportin'!:D

I got mine on Ebay... a beautiful lightweight wool/mohair blend, Brooks Brothers, for 40 bucks. If you shop carefully there are tons of them available, of much nicer quality than the polyester rent-a-suits. Spring for some quality alterations, and you can get a superior suit for about the price of a rental.

Thank you all for your suggestions but I think I stick with my beautiful black suit. (I have to, my DW likes it;))

Theo

Archived