back of ship balcony cabin ?

i'mdoedoe

has anyone had a balcony cabin on the very back of the ship ? was told it was called the "sunset" cabin. was also told that it was the BEST cabin to have ! anyone ever have one or know of someone - what are the opinions ? thanks ! and happy cruising !!

Well, it's only a "sunset cabin" if the back of the ship is pointing west at sunset!!!

Usually, the "aft" cabins are deeper than the balconies on the side of the ship. Some love them, some hate them, due to the looooong walk back and forth from the cabin! I prefer something near the stairs and elevators...it makes life so much easier and convenient!

We just got back from our cruise on the Equinox. We had an aft corner cabin and we just loved it. The view was great. Walking from the back of the ship was not at all a hassle. I always felt a little less guilty for eating that extra food. lol Try it, you'll probably like it.

Linda

Aft cabins with a wake view are very popular and usually are reserved early..The long walk "some" like to refer to and discourage is better for those of us who don't consider this any big deal at all once you walk out on that amazing balcony...

for your input - i have heard from others that they loved these cabins - altho true about the ship pointing in the right direction ! and we have one booked, and in looking at the deck layouts, we really aren't that far from the stairs and elevator... i'm looking forward to it as we have always had a side balcony cabin. again - thanks and here's to cruising !:)

• 2 weeks later...

We also like the aft cabins for the view of the ships wake. You'll have to be comfortable with your neighbors having a view onto your cabin from above, for the most part. The few we've been in was like that. If you are fine with that, then I'd say "book it!" If not, and you'd still like to go aft: google aft photos of the ship you want to go on, and then compare with the ship's deck map and pick a room that doesn't give your privacy away. Some do exist. But whatever you do - ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!:D

I love corner aft cabins. Very quiet back there with little street traffic outside in the corridor. Love to sit and watch the wake. Don't mind the walk. Justifies eating dessert every night! ;):D

We had our first aft balcony on the Celebrity Infinity to Alaska. We were very grateful that our upstairs neighbors could partially see onto our balcony because we somehow locked ourselves out on the balcony! Nice to look up and politely yell for someone to get the steward to come in our cabin and let us back in!:o

We loved wrapping up in blankets and lying (laying? ...reclining) on the chaise lounges and drinking hot chocolate!:o Plus since its partially covered we could stay out of the mist and rain. We are going to Panama Canal in 2 weeks in an aft cabin on the Jewel of the Seas. It'll be warmer, but we'll enjoy being outside but not in the sun.

Long story short: we love the aft cabins!

We are going on our 4th Alaska cruise with an aft balcony. We had rather have it than any. Just down the hall on the Sapphire Princess are the elevators which go directly up to the buffet! Much depends on the ship's layout. If you have an aft cabin and a front buffet restaurant, it is a long way to walk with a food tray with drinks and the ship is rocking a little!

We had our first aft balcony on the Celebrity Infinity to Alaska. We were very grateful that our upstairs neighbors could partially see onto our balcony because we somehow locked ourselves out on the balcony! Nice to look up and politely yell for someone to get the steward to come in our cabin and let us back in!:o

We loved wrapping up in blankets and lying (laying? ...reclining) on the chaise lounges and drinking hot chocolate!:o Plus since its partially covered we could stay out of the mist and rain. We are going to Panama Canal in 2 weeks in an aft cabin on the Jewel of the Seas. It'll be warmer, but we'll enjoy being outside but not in the sun.

Long story short: we love the aft cabins!

If you happen to have #1100..say hello for us we had that cabin on our Baltic cruise in Aug...and LOVED it !!!!

Is there any issue with the movement of the boat in the aft cabins? Seems that any up and down rocking would be felt in spades. I am "equilibrium challenged" so any excess movement is not good for my physiology! We were offered these when booking recently but declined for that reason.

Is there any issue with the movement of the boat in the aft cabins? Seems that any up and down rocking would be felt in spades. I am "equilibrium challenged" so any excess movement is not good for my physiology! We were offered these when booking recently but declined for that reason.

The cruise ships are state of the art and are equipped with stabalizers. It's never been a problem for me..... I wear a patch, and even wear one for the first week off the ship to prevent the sickening rocking sensation. The aft isn't any worse than the rest of the ship IMHO. Now the time we were forward we had a pretty rough ride. I won't go that far forward again.

We too loved the aft cabin but have only been lucky enough to get one once. The layout of the cabins is a bit different than the other balcony cabins and each one is slightly unique. We had four of the aft cabins in our group so we got to check each of them out. I have tried on numerous occasions but they are usually all taken.

Don't mind the extra walk - it's half the fun of being on a cruise ship - burning those few extra calories so you don't feel so guilty about eating that last bite of dessert!

Have fun!

• 4 weeks later...
has anyone had a balcony cabin on the very back of the ship ? was told it was called the "sunset" cabin. was also told that it was the BEST cabin to have ! anyone ever have one or know of someone - what are the opinions ? thanks ! and happy cruising !!

We liked the rear cabins as you dont have any noise from people going past late at night or running down the halls and of course working off all the food ha.ha.

We had an aft balcony on our cruise this past Nov. Now hubby says if we can't get an aft balcony, we don't book.

Looking forward to having one for our upcoming Med cruise.

Oh, and it depends on the line as to whether you have a long walk or not. Some of the ships have rear stairs/elevators and I was able in Nov. to run up one flight to the Windjammer cafe and grab a couple of things and back down in 5 min.

We loved the extra quiet of the aft, limited hall traffic. And only felt vibrations when going in and out of port.

We loved the extra quiet of the aft, limited hall traffic. And only felt vibrations when going in and out of port.

True... the limited hall traffic is nice. But the VIBRATIONS usually happen at 630am... If you are not a morning person (like me)... Being rattled out of bed does not make for a pleasant morning.

We had a group that reserved 4 Aft balconies together and had the room steward open the dividers. The entire back corner of the ship was our own private outdoor lounge for drinks before dinner.

M.B.

• 10 months later...
We just got back from our cruise on the Equinox. We had an aft corner cabin and we just loved it. The view was great. Walking from the back of the ship was not at all a hassle. I always felt a little less guilty for eating that extra food. lol Try it, you'll probably like it.

Linda

We are on eclipse in june and we are in room 1668 was wondering if lounge chairs on deck?

We are on eclipse in june and we are in room 1668 was wondering if lounge chairs on deck?

If you go to the Celebrity forum here at CC, there is a sticky on the cabins of Solstice class ships. You might find comments about yours there. EM

We have had only one aft on the Orchestra but we loved it. Enough so that we have happily snagged another for our 25th anniversary cruise.

Yes, there was some noise and vibration as we docked in the early morning but it is offset by the extra space and amazing view.

On the Orchestra there were aft stairs so it was very convenient to the buffet. I see that on the Jewel the stairs are crew only so it will seem a longer walk but I'm sure we will be fine.

These are the only cabins that we stay in. If we can't get one because they are booked, and they book up almost immediatly we find another cruise. There is a bit more movement then midship but neither of us have motion sickness issues. There can also be a bit of vibration especially when the thrusters are in use docking but we have found it to be hardly noticable. For us they are simply the best cabins onboard.

Have commented on this room before. Great corner room. Very private. Would book this room again and again. We are going on a cruise this March on the NCL Spirit out of NOLA. Would of loved to book an aft room on this ship, but noticed only rooms available are on Deck 9 and above the Stardust Theater. Booked a Suite on Deck 10 near the front of the ship. This suite will be larger than we had on our last cruise (aft suite) to Alaska. Look forward to a great cruise with warm weather. As I have mentioned before--once you go suite there's no turning back. Need to win the Lotto! Too sweet!

I was on RCI in October on Radiance of the Seas in a JS (1602) from Sydney to Perth (Australia) and it was great. Huge balcony. I didn't really mind the longer walk back to the cabin as the space made up for it.

I liked it so much I have booked a similar cabin on Celebrity Solstace for December 2012 to New Zealand.

Archived