POA Review 11-13 to 11-20

vc562894

I am really enjoying your blog, congrats on your wedding! I have a couple of questions about the Diamond Head Hike. When the bus drops you off and you walk to the entrance, are you walking on the shoulder of the main road? I was planning to do this with our family but with 4 kids, one being a 5 year old, I am not sure I want to walk that close to traffic! Also, if my 5 year old poops out, is there a shaded place to wait at the bottom? How about a restroom or picnic tables? You mentioned the community college, how far of a walk is that from Diamond Head? Do you come down from the hike the same way you went up or is it one way? I am thinking we might try it but have to turn around with the youngest at some point before we get to the top. thanks so much!

I'm enjoying your review and its bringing back memories. We too had our honeymoon in Hawaii and on the ship. Congratulations!

I laughed at your review of Diamond Head. We were up a bit and a man was running down and must have seen our look of desperation (or something) and said " You're half way to half way"! I laughed. He ran past us going up before we reached the top (it was his second run up). I honestly didn't think I was going to make it when we got to the second set of stairs, but so glad we did. It was incredible and I bought the T-shirt half way back as bragging rights!

I am really enjoying your blog, congrats on your wedding! I have a couple of questions about the Diamond Head Hike. When the bus drops you off and you walk to the entrance, are you walking on the shoulder of the main road? I was planning to do this with our family but with 4 kids, one being a 5 year old, I am not sure I want to walk that close to traffic! Also, if my 5 year old poops out, is there a shaded place to wait at the bottom? How about a restroom or picnic tables? You mentioned the community college, how far of a walk is that from Diamond Head? Do you come down from the hike the same way you went up or is it one way? I am thinking we might try it but have to turn around with the youngest at some point before we get to the top. thanks so much!

When the bus drops you off after Diamond Head, you are at the sign. You walk up the path and you come to another road. The road is very wide and we saw maybe 2 cars total. There is a shoulder of the road that is grass. Your children could walk on the grass and be okay. I didnt feel nervous or anything. Yes, there is picnic tables (I believe if I remember correctly) right next to the public restrooms at the bottom. There are areas at the outlooks if you want to rest, a few benches/rocks to rest on. We used the restrooms and they were clean. No papertowels, yet toliet paper and soap. The community college is less than a 5-7 minute walk from where the bus drops you off which is basically when you will be after you do the roundtrip hike up Diamond Head. You mentioned children, on the way from Diamond Head to the Community College, there was a playground. Yes, you hike up the same way you hike down... Hope that helps!!

Thank you for the info on Diamond Head. I think we will still give it a try with our family. Who did you use to shuttle you from your hotel to the port and what was the cost? Was it non stop or did you make other stops? Did you pick the time, 2pm sounds perfect.

Wow,

I am full of admiration for you!! Apart from the terrific report and great photos. How on Earth did you do Halekala sunrise and RTH on the second day!! I am known for cramming a lot into my holidays, but Wow!!!

We have decided to do Halekala when we get there on the first day, as we have OLL booked that night. and then leave ship around 7.00am second day and do as much of RTH as we feel like.

How long did it take you? did you just go to Black Sand beach and then return? thats kind of what I am thinking.

Cheers Saffy.

PS hope you finish last few days soon, as I leave in 5 days!!

Thank you for the info on Diamond Head. I think we will still give it a try with our family. Who did you use to shuttle you from your hotel to the port and what was the cost? Was it non stop or did you make other stops? Did you pick the time, 2pm sounds perfect.

It was included in your package that we picked. It was Robert's Hawaii shuttle though. I believe it is $6 a way if you book through Robert's Hawaii's site..

http://www.gorabbitgo.com/

We stopped at one hotel but it was still only about a 15min ride. They gave us 11am originally, but we just called and changed it until 2pm. No problems or questions asked! It was great

Wow,

I am full of admiration for you!! Apart from the terrific report and great photos. How on Earth did you do Halekala sunrise and RTH on the second day!! I am known for cramming a lot into my holidays, but Wow!!!

We have decided to do Halekala when we get there on the first day, as we have OLL booked that night. and then leave ship around 7.00am second day and do as much of RTH as we feel like.

How long did it take you? did you just go to Black Sand beach and then return? thats kind of what I am thinking.

Cheers Saffy.

PS hope you finish last few days soon, as I leave in 5 days!!

It wasn't too bad doing the sunrise and RTH.. we were exhausted but worth it.. plus its a relaxing night as you must be back on the boat at 5pm... So you have a leisurely night.

We went to the Red Sand Beach and return... Black Sand Beach was gorgeous and you could of stopped there.

I will be doing more posts tomorrow!!!

I, too, am enjoying your review. My DH and I spent 3 weeks in Hawaii for our honeymoon 30 years ago. We are finally returning this next March and are planning to do very little sightseeing...we literally did it all 30 years ago. This time, rest, relax, and lots of local flavors (food and beverages). My one question is about the iron and ironing board you mention...did not know this was an option to request in the cabin. Is there a fee? I assume they remove it and you have to requests it again when needed? Thanks, and congrats on your nuptials. Julie

Archived