Can someone please bring me into the loop !!!!!!!!!

mikeblum

I wouldn't be comfortable with the frosted glass if a Meet & Greet friend or room service came by. You have to open the shower door to get your towels. Nope, this ship is not for me.

Easy fix order room service after shower and for friends Don't answer the door.:rolleyes:

I might suggest you do a search on bathroom or epic. You will find a few thousand posts about this. Some are fine, some are so-so, some hate it.

Of course, the search will only help when people make the subject line descriptive. (hint, hint)

If anyone wanted some privacy they would simply go behind the curtain and dress.

Sounds like the curtain could work for privacy if everyone co-operates.

Honestly I don't think this bathroom layout is a great design idea. For everyone to have to pass through the bathroom area in order to enter or exit the cabin does seem awkward. Would you design a house where all your guests have to walk between your toilet and your shower when entering your house?

And, I have often ordered room service shortly before hopping into the shower. It's hard to know how long room service will take to arrive so it seems to make good sense for one of you to take your shower while the other waits to answer the door for room service.

Having said all that I don't think it is enough of a problem to stop me booking a cruise on this ship if everything else ( itinerary, timing, price etc.) worked for me.

What I am wondering is what are the advantages to this layout?

I mean, NCL must have known that this was an unorthodox design so, I would think, that they must have thought that there were some advantages to doing it this way. Can any of you who have cruised on this ship point out what you thought worked better with this layout than with the more traditional, all bathroom features together, behind a closed door, one?

The bathroom is not your typical layout of other ships. It is not a seperate room. There is an enclosed toilet on one side and an enclosed shower on the other with the "foyer" in between. My family did not have any issues with the layout, only that my 6'4" husband felt clausterphobic in the toilet area. The shower was fantastic, larger than on other ships we've been on.

If you look at Heinblod's link he was one of the first travellers in Europe and has very detailed pictures of the Epic.

http://public.fotki.com/HeinBloed/norwegian-epic/

btw, we loved our vacation aboard the Epic and we went for 2 weeks. We always had something to do. Go with an open mind and a great attitude, makes a vacation so much better!

That link was awesome! Thanks for sharing!! :D

are you kidding or serious???:eek:

I'm guessing they were serious. It only stands to reason that if you have questions about NCL, you post your question on the NCL discussion board, rather than whichever of the boards it was originally on.

The toilet is in a separate room, but you step right out of the shower into the main room. Fine if you are with your significant other, but with kids or a girls trip would be very awkward. Didn't like the whole ship and beyond the big shows, nothing much to do at night.

What TBS neglected to mention is that there is a drape that can be pulled across the cabin to separate the toilet and shower area from the rest of the stateroom, so there is no issue whatsoever. Epic is a great ship with terrific shows (Blue Man Group, a Cirque show, a terrific blues band, dual pianos, Second City performances, etc.) and an incredible variety of dining options. Some people are just unable to appreciate it. Writing "beyond the big shows, nothing much to do at night" is simply hilarious. There is more to do at night on Epic than on any other ship I've cruised.

Easy fix order room service after shower and for friends Don't answer the door.:rolleyes:

Admitting this would make it impossible to gripe and some people get their kicks by griping.

[And, by the way, room service always calls your stateroom before delivering.]

Admitting this would make it impossible to gripe and some people get their kicks by griping.

[And, by the way, room service always calls your stateroom before delivering.]

I take these the comments from the people who have not sailed on Epic with a grain of salt. They're entitled to their fears and hang-ups, but until you sail the ship you can't form an opinion based in reality.

I"m sorry if I am being overly persistant about this, but surely, there must be someone out there who has been on the ship, and who can say what they found were the advantages of this layout, over the more traditional one.

I was on the Epic. An advantage to this layout is that 3 people can be doing 3 things at the same time. One can use the shower while someone is using the toilet and someone else is using the sink. In a traditional setup you would have to wait until the one person is out of the bathroom before the next person could use any of these.

I"m sorry if I am being overly persistant about this, but surely, there must be someone out there who has been on the ship, and who can say what they found were the advantages of this layout, over the more traditional one.

I was on the EPIC, and an advantage would be being able to wash my hands, while my SO was behind the curtain showering or using the facilities.

I've yet to hear a cogent argument AGAINST the new design... all I hear is fear-mongering & panic. :eek::(

I was on the Epic. An advantage to this layout is that 3 people can be doing 3 things at the same time. One can use the shower while someone is using the toilet and someone else is using the sink. In a traditional setup you would have to wait until the one person is out of the bathroom before the next person could use any of these.

I echo this. We had 11 people in three rooms. This layout allowed us to multi-task as stated. We thought it was great.

As for the poster that asked "would you set up your home this way?". No, I wouldn't. But this isn't my home. It's a small room on a ship where space and use efficiency are much, much more important than aesthetics. Another important point to make is that the layout of the rooms pretty much dictated that NCL try something different with the bathroom. With the narrower "wave" rooms it would have been very difficult to use a traditional bathroom design.

I echo this. We had 11 people in three rooms. This layout allowed us to multi-task as stated. We thought it was great.

As for the poster that asked "would you set up your home this way?". No, I wouldn't. But this isn't my home. It's a small room on a ship where space and use efficiency are much, much more important than aesthetics. Another important point to make is that the layout of the rooms pretty much dictated that NCL try something different with the bathroom. With the narrower "wave" rooms it would have been very difficult to use a traditional bathroom design.

Sorry if this is redundent, I haven't followed all the Epic threads too closely but I'm wondering if the narrower "wave" design is a result of the ship being wider and requiring longer thinner cabins than are the norm on previous ships.

As far as multi tasking the bathroom functions I can see how it could be handy to have someone brushing their teeth or washing their hands at the sink while someone else could shower at the same time.

This layout is better in IMHO than the traditional layout. I was in the "mini suite" with my mother and sister and found the layout very comfortable and hope they consider this layout on the new builds. There was ample storage and we could be getting ready at the same time with out interfering with each other.

Ellen

Archived