Sailaway during safety briefing

Wardenru

So in about 16 more days I will be on my 6th cruise and on about half of my past voyages, I've noticed the sail-a-way starting during the middle of the safety briefing. Personally, I’ve my share of sail-a-way’s but for the first time cruiser, I think they would be a little irked (I know I would be) if I could not be on the lido deck saying bon voyage to anyone who may have come to see my off. So maybe it’s not like the old “Love Boat” days with all the fanfare and sorts but has anyone else noticed this? It’s happened on the Conquest a couple of times that I’ve been on it. I’ve never really made an issue because it is indeed minor but figured I would state my case on the boards and see who else would be irked by standing on deck 4 during the safety briefing right when the ship starts to take off from the port.

It's never bothered me because it doesn't seem that long and we always have time to take our life jackets back to the room and head up to the Lido deck and you're still in the port area. So you are still able to wave farewell to onlookers without a problem.

FWIW I'd rather be on the Lido deck during the entire sailaway than participating in the muster drill.

Me too! I like watching them drop the lines and then watch as we glide out away from the dock. That brief moment before the props kick in is just magical. After we are actually under way is when I like to be on deck watching the sights as we head out of the port area.

Having experienced a sail away during muster, I must say it was dissapointing.

Me too! I like watching them drop the lines and then watch as we glide out away from the dock. That brief moment before the props kick in is just magical. After we are actually under way is when I like to be on deck watching the sights as we head out of the port area.

Right there with you Paul.

Tom

Me three. LOVE watching them cast off the lines and the initial beginning of the voyage.

On some lines, the safety drill has been dumbed down to the point where they don't even try to put on life vests, an ommission which I wonder if will someday come back to haunt them in a real emergency.

I'm with most of y'all. I want to be out on the lido when we sail away. Its just a great way to start your cruise instead of standing there staring at a bunch of lifeboats listening to the cruise talk to u like u r a kid on lifeboat procedures. I know its important and can live with it. But get it over with and give people time to get back on top and enjoy the sail away!

I think the legal requirement for the full lifeboat drill was changed just over a year ago to now just be a safety briefing. (we only had an indoor muster station briefing on our last cruise about 11 months ago, life jackets left in the cabin, etc.) I personally think this is a good thing, less wear on the buckles of the vests, etc. Also particularly in cases where there was bad weather I wonder how many people have got sick due to the standing out in the cold waiting to be checked off over the years, I think the old requirement was lifeboat drill within 24 hours of sailing.

We sailed last week on the Legend out of Tampa and life jackets were not required for the muster drill. But if your brought your drink with you this BI#*H was mean and would make you get rid of it! And we still had time to wave at people as we were leaving.

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

We sailed last week on the Legend out of Tampa and life jackets were not required for the muster drill. But if your brought your drink with you this BI#*H was mean and would make you get rid of it! And we still had time to wave at people as we were leaving.

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

She may have been a b%#ch . . But she is a good looking b%#ch. :D I would have no problem standing there to listen to her for a while. Plus, she is just doing her job. I'm sure that one of her bosses was somewhere watching to be sure that she did her job correctly. :)

Dave

But if your brought your drink with you this BI#*H was mean and would make you get rid of it!

She was just doing her job - on every cruise I've sailed, they warn you ahead of time that drinks are not permitted during the muster drill. It is important - I realize the folks on Splendor last month didn't have to report to their muster stations, but hopefully they were prepared to do so. The last sailing I was on people were much too casual about the drill.

As for sailaway - I think it's happened to us twice out of 13 cruises. I'm with the others who like to watch them cast off the lines and then watch the ship slowly pull away from the pier. I like to have the muster drill over at least 10 minutes before sailing. What annoys me more than muster drill during sailaway is Camp Carnival registration during sailaway - that has happened on our last several cruises. I know you don't have to go to the registration at the scheduled time, but it's just easier than doing it when they're also trying to check kids into camp.

Blimey.

You break the rules (I'm sure you heard the "no eating, drinking, smoking during the drill" announcement) and then call the officer a bi#*h for enforcing them ... and post her picture on a message board which is no doubt read by her bosses?

How astonishingly rude and sneaky of you.

I hope she gets a commendation from head office for doing her job so professionally and diligently.

(And before anyone says she's not an officer, whatever her day job is on the ship, when she's in charge of a muster station she is.)

I agree, it is disappointing when the ship sails away during muster, but not that big of a deal.

The last muster drill I witnessed was a joke. It was on the RCCL Radiance. Everyone was talking and carrying on and not even paying attention to the guy talking. I would have hated to see what would have ensued had there been a real emergency.

Dude she's just doing her job. Coast Guard says no drinks at muster, so Carnival says no drinks at muster. Don't you think Carnival would rather you keep drinking if they had the choice?

Personally I don't care about missing the first few minutes of sailaway. Plenty of drinking time later. I could see how it'd be disappointing for a first time cruiser to miss it.

Right there with you Paul.

Tom

I would be disappointed if the sail away was during muster. It was fun being on one of the lido deck bars for sail away taking pictures. Would hate to not get the full experience being stuck in a muster line listening to instructions.

With security at the ports and stuff,,,,who exactly am I going to be waving bye to?

No, doesn't bother me at all.

You know, the crowds of people that are waving and cheering at you throwing streamers, confetti and balloons at you as the ship sails away.

Archived