Gifts for cabin steward

BOAZ5

Many are well educated and fairly well off, could have a much better paying job, but they a working on a ship for the adventure and experience.:confused:

I am not so sure the cabin stewards are doing it for the adventure. I can definitely understand that the cruise director staff and the entertainers may be doing it for that. Maybe even some of the front of the house staff that works in the shops.

But I did think of something you could give them, but I doubt the cruise line would approve. Offer to buy them a massage in the spa. I am sure that most of them would enjoy that after all their hard work. :D

We didn't have room to bring home the books we had read during one cruise. When we told our room steward that we were leaving them behind, he lit up like a Christmas Tree. They don't get a lot of opportunity to shop when ashore, and he was very happy to have the chance to read some good English languge novels, as he found it helped him to improve his language skills. We were happy to know that our 'accidental gift' of the books were appreciated.

Unless you are talking about a crew member you met on a prior cruise and you want to bring him or her a special gift that you know s/he will like because you talked about it, don't bring anything from home (except cash). Spend a little time getting to know the person and then find something you know will be appreciated (and don't ask leading questions such as "do you like xxxx?") while you're in port one day. Failing that, give extra cash, a good score on the comment card and, if you happen to encounter the HD or housekeeping supervisor while onboard, say something to him or her.

Yes, the $10 boxes and fancy bags to put gift cards and cash into always crack me up. Why waste money that could be included in the tip/gift on wrappings? Wrap it in the daily compass and they will be happy to get it just the same.

For the same reason that I take the time to wrap up a gift card that I give somebody on land. Sure, I could just fling it at them and move on, but we are talking about human beings here, even if they are hardworkingpoordeprivedthirdworldlonelytrappedonashipforsixmonths (:rolleyes:) human beings. Most people of my acquaintance appreciate a bit of a personal touch.

Archived