cancellation question......

Emily626

So - DH and I have a slight "bump" in the road for our Sept. cruise. ;) We will most likely need to cancel. Thankfully, we are still way in advance of the cancellation policy and should get a full refund of our deposit. My question is regarding HOW to cancel? On their website it says you have to send it in writing via snail mail? Is this the ONLY way to cancel? Or can I call and have it all taken care of? Or can I do it online? (We booked online with HAL). I have been combing the website and do not see a cancellation option....

Also - we have 2 shore excursions booked through HAL, can I cancel those the same time I cancel the cruise? And will we get refunds for them?

TIA!

I can only help you a little bit. We book through a TA and when we had to cancel 2 cruises earlier this year -- she called HAL directly and cancelled them.

Once she called and cancelled the cruises -- anything that we had booked -- alcohol, dinner reservations and shore excursions were automatically cancelled and credited back to my credit card within a couple of days.

Sorry, I can't help with the actual cruise cancellation (sorry you have to do that) as we've always dealt with a TA. The one cruise we had to cancel (just talked to the TA and sent a follow up e-mail) our shore ex were automatically canceled by HAL and the credit showed up on our cc right away.

Seeing you said you booked on line with HAL, then I would follow what the website directions state. I would send it certified mail, return receipt requested so you will have written confirmation of their receipt of your cancellation notice. (I honestly think you'd be fine with a phone call to them but why not be compliant and follow their specific directions to avoid any chance of a problem.)

In addition, I would wait about a week and check their site to be certain when you enter your confirmation number for that cruise, it appears as cancelled.

All reservations, excursions etc that you made associated with your cruise booking will automatically cancel. But, again, once you are sure they have received your cancellation notice, it wouldn't hurt to call Ship's Services or Customer Service to verify all cancellations are in place.

Very sorry you have to cancel and hope you will be able to rebook for another cruise.

Best wishes.

Our experience ... had to cancel the Noordam last year well before the final payment due date. Truly, can't recall if we booked on the HAL website or thru HAL reservations ... but I phoned in the cancellation. When I asked about the refund of my deposit, she stated it would take about 4-6 weeks to credit my Visa account. My Visa billing cycle was due to close in something like 3 days and I didn't want that much money hanging out there in the wind, so I asked if HAL could expedite the refund process ... they put a rush on it, and my Visa was credited before the billing cycle closed.

You might want to contact HAL and verify what you need to do.

We've had to cancel two cruises, one with Azamara and one with HAL. Both times the TA, though different ones, handled the cancellations without any big issues. The Azamara cancellation did require a short note of explanation of why we were canceling faxed to them and that was easy to provide. Credit was posted to our credit card within a couple of days. HAL cancellation was a snap. Told the TA over the phone we couldn't go and within a few hours our deposit was credited to our credit card.

Archived