Egypt Private Excursions

Arlenedow

We felt very safe with our guide and driver. Samir, the guide, left his wife & 2 kids in Alexandria and went to Cairo with his BIL for the 3 weeks of the revolution. He was one of the guys surrounding the Egyptian Museum to protect it. The driver was excellent in his safe driving skills and getting us out of an uncomfortable situation in a parking lot on the waterfront in Alexandria.

We left before the bus convoy/caravan and did not have any armed guards going along the highway with us/nor on the way back. No need IMHO, things seem to have gone back to regular daily life in the cities and on the highway.

We felt perfectly safe at the sites-Giza pyramids, where you ride camels, Sphinx, Sakkara, Memphis, Mena House Oberoi. On the Sunday morning we went to the Egyptian Museum-it was a busy couple of streets around there but I'm assuming far less people than usual and we were scooted in/out quickly by our guide to keep us out of crowds-which were mostly tourists and their drivers.

At the camels, where men & youngsters were trying to sell you things a tourist police dressed in white came over to help me get the guy away from me who was wrapping a shawl around my neck. My guide and DH were out riding the camel at this time.

I did see 2 armed guards in dark shirts and pants (did not see guns) but my guide told me they were armed guards with the bus.

Our table mates went on the one day Princess bus to the pyramids and did not have a guard on their bus, but saw one on the bus behind them.

We felt safe there. It was worth the overnight trip for us. I would only go with a guide though-not on our own like we do in other ports.[/quot

hi dog

thanks for your concern and giving much of your time

hi dog

thanks for your concern and giving much of your time

I just got back yesterday from touring Egypt with Memphis Tours, and I am happy to report that I never felt a moment of unease the whole time I was there. In fact, quite to the contrary, because the sites are so much less crowded, I certainly was very much aware of the constant presence of police and guards everywhere I visited.

For a more complete answer see this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1432334

Hope this helps!

I just got back yesterday from touring Egypt with Memphis Tours, and I am happy to report that I never felt a moment of unease the whole time I was there. In fact, quite to the contrary, because the sites are so much less crowded, I certainly was very much aware of the constant presence of police and guards everywhere I visited.

For a more complete answer see this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1432334

Hope this helps!

Excellent news!

So glad you are back safe and sound, thanks for your POSITIVE report!

:D;)

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this helps!

Thats a really good point that places were less crowded....I hadn't thought about that!

I'm really excited about my up and comng trip....have booked 2 day excursion with Egypt Private Excursions...they are really helpful in answering my questions. They say I can pay by credit card or cash.....what did you guys do and what would you suggest?

Thats a really good point that places were less crowded....I hadn't thought about that!

I'm really excited about my up and comng trip....have booked 2 day excursion with Egypt Private Excursions...they are really helpful in answering my questions. They say I can pay by credit card or cash.....what did you guys do and what would you suggest?

We paid us$ cash at end of first day & tipped driver & guide at end of 2 nd day.

Thanks for that - sounds a good plan!

Must get some US$ before I go.

I paid by credit card on arrival because I was paying off the balance of a six day tour. I had to go online after arriving at the hotel using the company website.

I don't know how your company intends on getting a card payment because they certainly don't carry around a card swiper with them, so it will probably be a lot easier and less time consuming to pay with cash in USD.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope I'm not violating the rules here, but after reading various reviews, we checked out several companies, and found that the responses from Egypt Private Excursions to be very good, and decided to book with them for our one day trip out of Alexandria to Cairo.

Upon our return (we'll be there in Nov, returning home in Dec) will post further comments upon our experience with them.

May all of your travels be what you expect and even more!!!!

Here's the website: http://www.egyptprivateexcursions.com/

However, you're probably best off just emailing H. David directly at egyptprivateexcursions AT gmail.com

Thank you Zukini! That is the one I had, but I wanted to make sure.

tjcox9 - Thank you, too. I think it is okay for us to post links to tour companies, but we cannot post websites for TA's or even mention their names.

Edited by yorkiemomjn

Cruisemom & Dog,

we are college students, going on Princess Holy Land in Oct of this year. What tour companies would you recommend that are safe and affordable. Many thanks.

Here's the itinerary from Princess:

10/22/11 Athens (Piraeus), Greece

10/23/11 Patmos, Greece

10/24/11 Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey

10/25/11 At Sea

10/26/11 Nazareth/Galilee, Israel

10/27/11 Jerusalem/Tel Aviv (Ashdod), Israel

10/28/11 Port Said, Egypt

10/29/11 Cairo/Giza(Alexandria), Egypt

10/30/11 At Sea

10/31/11 At Sea

11/01/11 Dubrovnik, Croatia

11/02/11 Ravenna, Italy

11/03/11 Venice, Italy

Cruisemom & Dog,

we are college students, going on Princess Holy Land in Oct of this year. What tour companies would you recommend that are safe and affordable. Many thanks.

Here's the itinerary from Princess:

10/22/11 Athens (Piraeus), Greece

10/23/11 Patmos, Greece

10/24/11 Ephesus (Kusadasi), Turkey

10/25/11 At Sea

10/26/11 Nazareth/Galilee, Israel

10/27/11 Jerusalem/Tel Aviv (Ashdod), Israel

10/28/11 Port Said, Egypt

10/29/11 Cairo/Giza(Alexandria), Egypt

10/30/11 At Sea

10/31/11 At Sea

11/01/11 Dubrovnik, Croatia

11/02/11 Ravenna, Italy

11/03/11 Venice, Italy

Private tours in Egypt are very affordable and definitely worth it. Most of the major companies mentioned on Cruise Critic are safe and reliable. The differences are in the small details. I have been very happy with Egypt Private Excursions. To make costs even more reasonable, look at sharing with others on your sailing by going to your roll call and getting a group together.

Israel is more expensive than Egypt, but again, arranging with a guide for a small group can still be less expensive (and more satisfying) than the tours offered by the ship.

Edited to add: You'll find more info on the other ports of your cruise on the specific boards here. You can easily see Ravenna and Dubrovnik on your own without need of a guide with a little basic research. Athens is also doable on your own but does require some good research first regarding what you want to see, using public transportation, etc.

Edited by cruisemom42

Thank you cruisemom!

I just joined the Roll Call the other day. So far not much luck yet. And yes, i just looked at Israel for a 2 day tour it is quite expensive just for the 2 of us. How do you organize or add yourself in a group tour for Israel?

Right now i'm still searching for Egypt and Israel, haven't focus on other ports just yet. We are planning to stay an extra day or so in Venice. Heard transportation from port to hotel and hotel to airport can be VERY expensive...and ideas?

thanks so much!

Thank you cruisemom!

I just joined the Roll Call the other day. So far not much luck yet. And yes, i just looked at Israel for a 2 day tour it is quite expensive just for the 2 of us. How do you organize or add yourself in a group tour for Israel?

Right now i'm still searching for Egypt and Israel, haven't focus on other ports just yet. We are planning to stay an extra day or so in Venice. Heard transportation from port to hotel and hotel to airport can be VERY expensive...and ideas?

thanks so much!

1) For Israel, look at GTI tours (mentioned on these boards frequently). They offer small group tours and have several different itineraries to choose from.

2) For Venice, transportation doesn't HAVE to be expensive. If you stay in Piazzale Roma (and pack so that you can handle your own luggage reasonably), you can take the new Venice People Mover from the port to Piazzale Roma for the whopping cost of 1 euro per person (I believe that's still correct.) From there you should be able to walk to your hotel if booked in that area. Then, to get to the airport from your hotel, there is a bus that leaves from Piazzale Roma direct to the airport -- with space for luggage stowing underneath -- for around 3,50 euro per person. ;) Piazzale Roma is also a major vaporetto stop (Venice's equivalent of a city bus except waterborne); buy a pass for the length of your stay and you'll be good to go.

cruisemom,

i email GTI tours, they quoted $295 and $335 pax per day for the 2 days in Haifa and Ashdod respectively. Roughly $600 each day for 2 of us - still high i think. Any other ideas?

Ah, i will definitely look into hotels near by. You are so informative! Thank you so much! I would definitely want to hook up with you :)

cruisemom,

i email GTI tours, they quoted $295 and $335 pax per day for the 2 days in Haifa and Ashdod respectively. Roughly $600 each day for 2 of us - still high i think. Any other ideas?

Ah, i will definitely look into hotels near by. You are so informative! Thank you so much! I would definitely want to hook up with you :)

That seems high for GTI -- are you sure they are quoting you for their small group tours? They also offer private tours and those are more expensive. I can't imagine paying around $300 per person for a small group tour of 14-18 people....

Unfortunately, you'll find many ports are quite expensive for private tours and Israel is no exception!

Thanks for the kind words. :) You'll find lots of info on Venice transportation and hotels on the Italy ports of call board here too.

Edited by cruisemom42

cruisemom,

Here's what GTI email me:

Itinerary for Ashdod to Jerusalem-Dead Sea ($335 per person)

------------------------------------------

Jerusalem

- Mount of Olives

- Garden of Gethsemane

- Jaffa Gate

- Church of the Holy Sepulcher

- Via Dolorosa

- Western Wall / Wailing Wall

- Arab Souk

- Christian and Jewish Quarters

Dead Sea (approx 35 minutes from Jerusalem)

- Kalya beach facilities

- Optional and subject to time only - Qumran caves

* Some sites may not be visited and others included subject to accessibility, security, holiday festivities, opening times, queues, traffic, time constraints, and other circumstances.

Itinerary for Haifa to the Biblical Galilee ($295 per person)

-------------------------------------

- Panoramic view over Baha’i Gardens

- Nazareth (Church of the Annunciation)

- Cana (from the bus)

- Jordan River (Yardenit baptism site)

- Kibbutz - subject to time

- Capernaum

- Tabgha

- Mount of Beatitudes

- Sea of Galilee

* Some sites may not be visited and others included subject to accessibility, security, holiday festivities, opening times, queues, traffic, time constraints, and other circumstances.

Yes very expensive indeed!

Thanks for your speedy reply.

cruisemom,

Here's what GTI email me:

Itinerary for Ashdod to Jerusalem-Dead Sea ($335 per person)

------------------------------------------

Jerusalem

- Mount of Olives

- Garden of Gethsemane

- Jaffa Gate

- Church of the Holy Sepulcher

- Via Dolorosa

- Western Wall / Wailing Wall

- Arab Souk

- Christian and Jewish Quarters

Dead Sea (approx 35 minutes from Jerusalem)

- Kalya beach facilities

- Optional and subject to time only - Qumran caves

Itinerary for Haifa to the Biblical Galilee ($295 per person)

-------------------------------------

- Panoramic view over Baha’i Gardens

- Nazareth (Church of the Annunciation)

- Cana (from the bus)

- Jordan River (Yardenit baptism site)

- Kibbutz - subject to time

- Capernaum

- Tabgha

- Mount of Beatitudes

- Sea of Galilee

Yes very expensive indeed!

Thanks for your speedy reply.

I am almost 100% sure they have quoted you for a private tour of 2 people. Write them back and tell them you are interested in joining one of their group shore excursions from each port, not a private tour. I'm positive you'll get a different answer.

Cruisemom,

I email them back like you said and this is their reply: arrrggg helppppppppp!

It’s the same itinerary breakdown in either private or shared and the price is as per my quotation in my initial reply to you. See below.

Thanks!

Kind regards,

Leo J.

I don't know what to tell you!! :confused:

Are you going to their website and responding under the section for shared tours? This is what I did last year, and I've cut and pasted the response I received below. I know their offerings and pricings are still pretty similar because my sister and BIL are headed to Israel on a cruise in September and they also contacted GTI for info.

Are you getting a personalized letter from someone or a form reply?

Anyway.....here is the info that I got from them on their small group shared tours:

Shalom! Thank you for contacting us.

I am happy to confirm that we can do both days for you! On September 15th

we can pick you up from the Haifa port for a highlights tour of Northern

Israel. You can visit such beautiful and fascinating places as Acre (Akko),

Safed, Mount of Beatitudes, Tabgha, Sea of Galilee, Capernaum, Kibbutz, and

Haifa. If you prefer we also have more Christian or Jewish focused tours.

We will guide you in a new and very comfortable van and your guide will be a

wonderful Gentleman who is certified and licensed by the Ministry of

Tourism, and a great person to spend the day with!

The next day, September 16th, we can pick you up from the Ashdod port in the

morning just outside the ship to make our way to the holy city of Jerusalem.

On our tour you will be able to see all the major attractions of Jerusalem,

including the old city with its Jewish and Christian sites (Western Wall,

Via Dolorosa, Church of Holy Sepulcher, Roman Cardo, David Citadel, etc),

new city (Kenesset, Yemin Moshe, Menorah, etc), panoramic viewpoints from

Mount Zion/Olives, and much more! In the afternoon you have an option to

visit Bethlehem, Yad Vashem memorial, or the Dead Sea valley. If you choose

to visit the Dead Sea you should bring your bathing suits as you can have an

opportunity to experience 'floating' in the healthy waters at the lowest

place on earth.

*** The prices for the semi-private group tours with 6-10 persons:

From Haifa to Northern Israel: $99 per person

From Ashdod to Jerusalem-Bethlehem/Museums: $115 per person

From Ashdod to Jerusalem-Dead Sea: $135 per person

You can join a group which we will arrange for you.

As mentioned the tours are done in a very comfortable air-conditioned van

(minimum 9 hours) and you will have a wonderful time touring both the North

and Jerusalem/Bethlehem/Dead Sea with a lovely gentleman. I look forward to

hearing from you soon and I hope we can be your hosts for two memorable and

wonderful tours in Israel! If you have any questions please email me and I

will be happy to help in any way I can.

If you wish to go ahead and book the tours please email me the following:

(1) Full names of all persons touring

(2) Which options you are choosing and if you prefer the private or

semi-private tour

In terms of payment, you have an option to pay via a secure website with

your credit card before the tours or you can secure the tour only and pay in

cash AFTER the tour is done and you are back at the harbor - whichever you

prefer.

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us and we look forward to

welcoming you in Israel.

• 2 weeks later...

CruiseMom42...Can i ask you a question about Egypt?

If you had the option of a camel ride or a felucca ride on your excursion...which would you choose? Obviously they are very different things....I am thinking felucca is my preference but do you think you "have" to do a camel ride when in Egypt?

Would value your opinion, thanks!

CruiseMom42...Can i ask you a question about Egypt?

If you had the option of a camel ride or a felucca ride on your excursion...which would you choose? Obviously they are very different things....I am thinking felucca is my preference but do you think you "have" to do a camel ride when in Egypt?

Would value your opinion, thanks!

I may not be the best person to ask on this one....... I'm not overly fond of camels. I did not particularly want to ride one, but was more or less shamed into it by my guide and other members of my party and was mildly terrified the entire time aboard. :o

Thus, I'd choose the fellucca ride (although it is more scenic around Luxor area than Cairo).

:) We just returned from a cruise on Star Princess, our reason for choosing the itinerary was because of the overnight stay in Alexandria and we are so glad the restored that port.

I had contacted Egypt Private Excursions when the itinary was changed a few weeks before the cruise and corresponded with David by email, he confirmed the tour route, the size of the vehicle and special arrangements for our party of four because I needed a wheelchair. He did not request a deposit which was great as the port was not a definite call but gave us emergency contact details.

We chose to go to the great pyramids & the sphinx, Sakkara step pyramids & tombs, Egyptian museum & citadel and alabaster mosque

When we docked and left the ship, having heard that many of the cruisers were not even going to get off in Alexandria it was pleasing to meet Momen who was our tour guide. He was extremely knowledgable about the history of Egypt ancient and modern and was also very proud of his country and its recent revolution. He made sure that we could visit the monuments without being hastled by the traders and also ensured that we got as close as physically possible because of my walking limitations. He provided a great deal of information about every artifact in the museum and really brought it to life.

Our driver was also brilliant and sped through the Cairo traffic at ease and with a great sense of humour.

The first lunch stop we had was very good and the Mercure hotel that we stayed in overnight was excellent, huge well furnished rooms and the meal we had was very good and very cheap. The meal on the second day was slightly dissappointing but still ok.

On the second day we were accompanied by a young and silent armed policeman who we did not really feel was necessary but his snoring kept us entertained on the long drive back.

I would recommend visiting Egypt, staying in Cairo and using Egypt Private Excursions as they provided an excellent service. :)

If you don't mind, can you tell me how much you had to pay for this tour? Any info is appreciated! :)