Altun Ha or Xunantunich with Carnival

thesawch

Which is the better ruins to visit in Belize Altun Ha or Xunantunich ruins ??We are booking with Carnival due to the length of the day. Thanks

Xunantunich ruins are the much better choice. More of a drive but much larger ruins. Lamania would be my second choice, a private tour is required, with a speed boat ride, loads of fun, howler monkeys, etc. Altun Ha would be my last choice, especially with all the other options for excursions.

Xunantunich ruins are the much better choice. More of a drive but much larger ruins. Lamania would be my second choice, a private tour is required, with a speed boat ride, loads of fun, howler monkeys, etc. Altun Ha would be my last choice, especially with all the other options for excursions.

Which one would you say is the most strenuous physically, and the least strenuous? Thanks!

When we went to Xunantunich my wife assisted an 80+yr old man through out the tour. He was takingthe tour solo while his wife was shopping. When we returned we meet his wife and he said it was the best tour ever. He did not want us to tell her what we did as he was going to let the pictures tell the story.

Below are my pics: http://wdowns9.smugmug.com/Travel/Xunantunich-Ruins/3434004_FSUYS#192547985_DBVXF

I'd very much appreciate your thoughts in ranking Xunantunich ahead of Lamanai. We'll be on an NCL cruise next year that stops in Belize, and definitely want to spend the day seeing Mayan ruins. (We've been to Tulum, a very different setting, obviously.) And anyone else, please weigh in too.

Thanks in advance!

What's nice about the Belizean ruins is you can still climb on the temples, unlike any in Mexico. And the vista from Xunantunich is very nice (albeit the vista from the top of the largest temple in Tulum would be awesome). The two downsides to Xunantunich are 1) long day, long bus ride and the steep climb up the hill tothe plaza where the temple and other structures are. The path to Altun Ha is a bit easier. The tour a bit shorter, if you wanted time in the Tourism Village to shop.

Lamanani is even further away so you'll need a good length of time in port to do that tour.

I'd very much appreciate your thoughts in ranking Xunantunich ahead of Lamanai. We'll be on an NCL cruise next year that stops in Belize, and definitely want to spend the day seeing Mayan ruins. (We've been to Tulum, a very different setting, obviously.) And anyone else, please weigh in too.

Thanks in advance!

We did a tour of Xunantunich through an NCL tour. It is close to the Guatemala border which makes it a long bus ride (about 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours each way) The ruins were large and the site itself covered a big area. They were extremely impressive. There was a long uphill walk from the parking lot to the site. I think those that could not walk up were driven up.

We did a private tour of Lamanai which we booked online beforehand. There was about an hour drive to the river where we boarded a speedboat. The speedboat ride was magnificent. It made the trip. There was only about 10 of us. We saw lots of wildlife on the river. The Lamanai site itself was terrific. It is in a very remote jungle area. Arriving on a speedboat and hearing howler monkeys was simply amazing and scary. There were howler monkeys everywhere in the trees above us. Due to the time frame, we could only see the main part of Lamanai.

We climbed both Xunantunich and Lamanai. We enjoyed both ruins, but each trip was different and unique in its own way.

We did a tour of Xunantunich through an NCL tour. It is close to the Guatemala border which makes it a long bus ride (about 1 & 1/2 to 2 hours each way) The ruins were large and the site itself covered a big area. They were extremely impressive. There was a long uphill walk from the parking lot to the site. I think those that could not walk up were driven up.

We did a private tour of Lamanai which we booked online beforehand. There was about an hour drive to the river where we boarded a speedboat. The speedboat ride was magnificent. It made the trip. There was only about 10 of us. We saw lots of wildlife on the river. The Lamanai site itself was terrific. It is in a very remote jungle area. Arriving on a speedboat and hearing howler monkeys was simply amazing and scary. There were howler monkeys everywhere in the trees above us. Due to the time frame, we could only see the main part of Lamanai.

We climbed both Xunantunich and Lamanai. We enjoyed both ruins, but each trip was different and unique in its own way.

Thanks very much for your thoughts! It sounds like either would be a terrific day.

Has anyone ever dealt with the tour company noted in the above post?

Thanks!

Yes this is the Island Marketing Company and we used them in 08 for our cave tubing in Belize, the tour guide himself was outstanding but I hated the cave tubing, it was freezing and I was just miserable. We also used this company to book Nachi Cocum and a catarmaran excusion in GC but was not able to make it due to high winds. This year we are using the same company for our excursions and went ahead and booked the Altru Ruins with IMC.

When we went to Xunantunich my wife assisted an 80+yr old man through out the tour. He was takingthe tour solo while his wife was shopping. When we returned we meet his wife and he said it was the best tour ever. He did not want us to tell her what we did as he was going to let the pictures tell the story.

Below are my pics: http://wdowns9.smugmug.com/Travel/Xunantunich-Ruins/3434004_FSUYS#192547985_DBVXF

Just wanted to let you know that I booked an excursion to Xunantunich (in March) based on your beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing!!

I have used Island Marketing in multiple locations on multiple trips. Cave Tubing, Lamanai, Sting Ray City and others. I would not hesitate to use them again. Their prices are good and their service to our family has always been super.

Which is the better ruins to visit in Belize Altun Ha or Xunantunich ruins ??We are booking with Carnival due to the length of the day. Thanks

Xunantunich has the El Castillo Mayan pyramid, which was fascinating. My sons loved it, as did my husband and I. Many of the cruise lines are no longer offering these ruins, but instead are doing Lamanai and Altun Ha. I have not done Altun Ha, but did do Lamanai. I wouldn't want to miss El Castillo! Hope this helps you,

My husband and I went to Xunantunich through Carnival. First of all...definately book thru Carnvial bc it is a long drive. We were late getting back but they wated on us bc it was a Carnival tour....and there was a bus full of us. The bus ride IS a long one...but well worth it!!! I actually Loved the bus ride...because we got sort of a free tour of Belize! Their was a tour guide telling us about interesting things as we passed by. When you arrive at the ruins...all I can say is they are AMAZING!!!! We climbed up El Castillo...the main temple!!! Not only was it awsome to climp up an ancient building....but the view was AMAZING!!!! We visited Chitzen Itza this past year and I have to say.... I really enjoyed Xunantunich so much more!!! I think it is better than Chitzen Itza!

You get an authintic lunch in an open air restraunt on the way back....not a sack lunch like they give you on other tours I have been on.

I really would like to take my friiends and family back to visit someday. They even have some ruins that are uncovered!!!

I haven't been to the other ruins you mentioned but I can say I was really impressed with this one! Have fun! Wish I was going!

Just wanted to let you know that I booked an excursion to Xunantunich (in March) based on your beautiful photos! Thanks for sharing!!

Me too! Hi Deb...I keep rereading these posts to read more about the excursion. i am just so excited!

My husband and I went to Xunantunich through Carnival. First of all...definately book thru Carnvial bc it is a long drive. We were late getting back but they wated on us bc it was a Carnival tour....and there was a bus full of us. The bus ride IS a long one...but well worth it!!! I actually Loved the bus ride...because we got sort of a free tour of Belize! Their was a tour guide telling us about interesting things as we passed by. When you arrive at the ruins...all I can say is they are AMAZING!!!! We climbed up El Castillo...the main temple!!! Not only was it awsome to climp up an ancient building....but the view was AMAZING!!!! We visited Chitzen Itza this past year and I have to say.... I really enjoyed Xunantunich so much more!!! I think it is better than Chitzen Itza!

You get an authintic lunch in an open air restraunt on the way back....not a sack lunch like they give you on other tours I have been on.

I really would like to take my friiends and family back to visit someday. They even have some ruins that are uncovered!!!

I haven't been to the other ruins you mentioned but I can say I was really impressed with this one! Have fun! Wish I was going!

How long did you actually spend at the ruins?

Thanks Kris

We just got back from Belize and we did the Altun Ha/Belize City by bus excursion thru the ship. We booked thru the ship to get the early tender off. Although the ruins are not extensive it was fun for our family of four including our 18 and 20 YO daughters. You can climb the ruins to see the surrounding area.

For those looking for a shorter alternative I would recommend it. It was by far the most popular excursion from our ship. Even though there were about six buses at the ruins it did not seem crowded because the guides managed the groups well.

• 2 months later...
We just got back from Belize and we did the Altun Ha/Belize City by bus excursion thru the ship. We booked thru the ship to get the early tender off. Although the ruins are not extensive it was fun for our family of four including our 18 and 20 YO daughters. You can climb the ruins to see the surrounding area.

For those looking for a shorter alternative I would recommend it. It was by far the most popular excursion from our ship. Even though there were about six buses at the ruins it did not seem crowded because the guides managed the groups well.

can you give any idea of the terrain/walking distance, etc involved with Altun Ha?? We are booked for an excursion thru NCL in about 2 weeks, and I'm trying to get more info as my mom had minor knee surgery a little over a year ago and trying to help her prepare..

Archived