Sapphire Ship?

sashas_mom

Thinking of cruising to Mexico (the ship is the destination for us when we go to Mexico...we don't get off the ship). Haven't been on the Sapphire for years and am spoiled with the new ships and just recently the Golden. Have you been on the Sapphire lately? What was your impression? Was the entertainment good and the activitities and food? I've read some negative posts, but there are some who are always negative, so would like some more feedback.

Thanks.

As I remember, the Golden is a lot older than the Sapphire Princess. Menus and food are essentially the same, activities and entertainment are up to the Cruise Director, not the ship.

I've taken several cruises on the Sapphire, including a 31-day cruise, and enjoyed her. I'll be on her again for 10 days in less than two weeks.

Thinking of cruising to Mexico (the ship is the destination for us when we go to Mexico...we don't get off the ship). Haven't been on the Sapphire for years and am spoiled with the new ships and just recently the Golden. Have you been on the Sapphire lately? What was your impression? Was the entertainment good and the activitities and food? I've read some negative posts' date=' but there are some who are always negative, so would like some more feedback.

Thanks.[/quote']

We got off the Sapphire after 62 days on Nov. 20th. Had an excellent CD, therefore lots of activities. Entertainment more or less the same on all ships since the production shows are recycled and the other acts are always a comedian, a comic juggler of sorts and a magician who thinks he's funny too. Oh yes, a mentalist has been showing up lately too.

Food is subjective, though picky me has had lots more choices lately.

I got off the Sapphire yesterday from the 4 day coastal. It was a nice ship. We were on the Golden in July for Alaska. The thing that I missed was the coffee bar from the Golden is great and they don't have it on the Sapphire.

I did enjoy the anytime dining in the the various dining rooms with the different decoration (I would encourage you to reserve the table ahead of time).

I got off the Sapphire yesterday from the 4 day coastal. It was a nice ship. We were on the Golden in July for Alaska. The thing that I missed was the coffee bar from the Golden is great and they don't have it on the Sapphire.

I did enjoy the anytime dining in the the various dining rooms with the different decoration (I would encourage you to reserve the table ahead of time).

It's been a while since I've sailed without the International Cafe. If they don't have a coffee bar on the Sapphire, where do they serve the brewed coffee where we use our coffee cards?

It's been a while since I've sailed without the International Cafe. If they don't have a coffee bar on the Sapphire' date=' where do they serve the brewed coffee where we use our coffee cards?[/quote']

You can get brewed coffee at the bar on deck 5 in the Atrium or in the mornings in the internet cafe.

You can get brewed coffee at the bar on deck 5 in the Atrium or in the mornings in the internet cafe.

We are also on this ship in less then tw weeks....since this is the third cruise for us on the Sapphire, I guess you could say we kinda like her.:D

The first cruise we had we were not crazy about the food, this last cruise Jan 2009 food was great!

Hoping for a repeat of 09.

The two servers at the bar on deck 5 in the Atrium used to see me walking across the room each morning and by the third morning already had started to make my double wet Capp and were pouring the brewed coffee......we made sure we wrote out a *You made a differance* card for them.

We also were on the 4 day coastal, and disembarked yesterday. I am a Shappire Princess cheerleader. Why? This was our 3rd cruise on the Shappire, we had nothing but rain, which means everyone is inside the public areas. It was never crowded, the space ratio is better than on the bigger ships. The pool decks were empty except for the indoor pool, and that was also very quiet. Yes, there were children, well behaved, young, adorable, and well surpervised by their parents. My biggest and only gripe was with our next door neighbors, no they weren't smoking or drinking to excess. They were cellphone junkies. The first day and also the last, someone was on the phone from 5:30 in the morning, yes we heard it, even with our door closed. Second biggest problem, food outside the cabins. Yuch, when we order food, we always ask call room service to pick up the dishes. Worst offence, they put them outside our door! Yes, I stepped in some! Cruise great, good mix of ages, and my cruise wasn't ruined by the neighbors. The Shappire is a winner, and we loved every minute of it. 28 days until our next cruise, Golden to Hawaii!

We have been on Golden, Grand, Star and Sapphire and loved each of the ships. We have been cruising the Sapphire for the past few years and have been on her 4 times in the last 3 years.

The International Cafe, Vines and MUTS are the only differences but should not be a deal breaker. The coffee bar is just fine and the rest of the ship is basically the same, except for Club Fusion and the Wakeview Bar which are really fun. The variety of Anytime dining options and the different dining rooms helps mix up the ambiance.

The ship is in GREAT shape from a physical standpoint, especially since it has not been in for a refurbishment in a number of years.

Happy Cruising:D:D:D

If you enjoy specialty restaurants, don't miss the ones that are offered on the Sapphire Princess.

Restaurant likes and dislikes are subjective, but I have found that the food and service at Sterling Steakhouse are wonderful. Not to worry... the views are absolutely spectacular, and it is a secluded area. Some will say that it is just an extension of the buffet, but this isn't true. While Sterling Steakhouse is in operation, the Sterling Steakhouse area is closed off and secluded from the buffet. Buffet people are not wandering through or gaping at you. In summary, again: the views, food, and service are wonderful. The servers are extra, extra nice:)

Sabatini's atmosphere and food are also great. Not to worry about eating too much: one can say, no thanks, to anything you don't want to sample. Some are better at this than others:) It really is possible to say "no thanks"...

Enjoy the Sapphire!

Speaking of food, I forgot to mention that the pizza is great on the Sapphire!

A few weeks ago, we had a spirited debate here, concerning pizza on the Grand Class ships vs. pizza on the Sun Class ships:) There were disagreements, but some of us banded together to briskly defend the excellence of the pizza on the Sapphire!

It is served by the slice, on one of the upper decks, outside. It is hard to resist. I never plan to have any, but if you walk by, once or twice, and take a glance, and notice the aroma, you are hooked!

The guys serving it are very nice, too:)

Enjoy the pizza on the Sapphire!

We also were on the 4 day coastal, and disembarked yesterday. I am a Shappire Princess cheerleader. Why? This was our 3rd cruise on the Shappire, we had nothing but rain, which means everyone is inside the public areas. It was never crowded, the space ratio is better than on the bigger ships. The pool decks were empty except for the indoor pool, and that was also very quiet. Yes, there were children, well behaved, young, adorable, and well surpervised by their parents. My biggest and only gripe was with our next door neighbors, no they weren't smoking or drinking to excess. They were cellphone junkies. The first day and also the last, someone was on the phone from 5:30 in the morning, yes we heard it, even with our door closed. Second biggest problem, food outside the cabins. Yuch, when we order food, we always ask call room service to pick up the dishes. Worst offence, they put them outside our door! Yes, I stepped in some! Cruise great, good mix of ages, and my cruise wasn't ruined by the neighbors. The Shappire is a winner, and we loved every minute of it. 28 days until our next cruise, Golden to Hawaii!

We leave our dishes in the room for the Cabin Steward to take care of.

Speaking of food' date=' I forgot to mention that the pizza is great on the Sapphire!

A few weeks ago, we had a spirited debate here, concerning pizza on the Grand Class ships vs. pizza on the Sun Class ships:) There were disagreements, but some of us banded together to briskly defend the excellence of the pizza on the Sapphire!

It is served by the slice, on one of the upper decks, outside. It is hard to resist. I never plan to have any, but if you walk by, once or twice, and take a glance, and notice the aroma, you are hooked!

The guys serving it are very nice, too:)

Enjoy the pizza on the Sapphire![/quote']

LOL I was just saying to Mr.QT that I am looking forward to my first meal on the Sapphire....a 24 K Rita, on the rocks, no orange slice but extra lime and a few slices of that amazing pizza YUM! Nothing says I am going on a cruise more then that lunch.

We sailed the Sapphire last January to the MR and thought she was in great shape and enjoyed everthing about her. We are sailing on her again next month to Hawaii and starting to get excited, this will be our first time in the grand suite and really looking forward to it.

LOL I was just saying to Mr.QT that I am looking forward to my first meal on the Sapphire....a 24 K Rita, on the rocks, no orange slice but extra lime and a few slices of that amazing pizza YUM! Nothing says I am going on a cruise more then that lunch.

Thanks for the affirmation and the vote of confidence concerning pizza on the Sapphire! Fantastic!

Sasha'smom: the pizza place is near the Neptune Pool, and the appropriately named Trident Grill is also nearby. Just to the rear of that area, more admidships, is the indoor Calypso Pool, which has a retractable roof.

Enjoy the "Sensational Sapphire" ! :) :) :)

Thanks everyone for your input. Think I'll consider the Sapphire now that I've heard all your glowing reports:). By the way. It's been very wet here in California lately, as all of you locals can attest to. In case you haven't heard about these, I thought you might want to know because they'll help protect your luggage tags from getting wet. I appreciate all your helpful hints, here is one from me:

http://www.*****.com/luggage-tags/cruise-luggage-tag-holder.html

One other good thought to consider: in a recent poll, here on Cruise Critic, several people named the Sapphire or her sister ship, the Diamond, as their favorite Princess ship:) Its hard to beat that:)

One funny thought on that poll was: the favorite ship is the one I am currently on:)

Enjoy the "Sensational Sapphire" !!! :)

We did the MEX-RIV junket at the beginning of Dec, we were very pleased with the ship...although she still has the old TVs. The Sapphire and the Diamond are our two faves and I would say that the Sapphire was in better shape then her sister but in fairness the Diamond was heading for dry-dock the trip after ours in Sept. In our minds the ships strike a happy balance between size without felling BIG.

We did the MEX-RIV junket at the beginning of Dec, we were very pleased with the ship...although she still has the old TVs. The Sapphire and the Diamond are our two faves and I would say that the Sapphire was in better shape then her sister but in fairness the Diamond was heading for dry-dock the trip after ours in Sept. In our minds the ships strike a happy balance between size without felling BIG.

Well stated! I definitely agree about the happy balance between size without feeling big. A great example is the beautiful promenade deck: it always feels spacious. The upper decks, way up high, always feel spacious, too. What a ship!

Archived