Sapphire or Golden?

vcgeno

We are thinking of going on the Hawaii Cruise in April or May if you had a choice of these two ships which one would you choose and why?

Thanks

I would go with the Golden. Mainly because it does only the Hawaii cruises from September til May. There is a fabulous Hawaiian culture program on every sailing that includes lei making, hula lessons, etc. The Sapphire has occasional Hawaii cruises, but mostly it does the Mexican Riviera. So you won't get the same experience. It will be a more generic sailing.

Another plus to the Golden is that it has the International Cafe. It was added during a recent refurbishment. The Sapphire, even though it's a newer ship, does not have this. So, even though I really enjoyed my MR cruise on the Sapphire a few years ago... for Hawaii, the Golden would be the better choice.

We are thinking of going on the Hawaii Cruise in April or May if you had a choice of these two ships which one would you choose and why?

Thanks

I would go with the Golden over the Sapphire. Why?

1. The Golden has the International Cafe and Vines!
  2. The Golden has David Cole as CD (usually) and Elua (musical duo that signs Hawaiian songs and teaches Ukulele to mention just two of the many activities they lead during the cruise).
  3. The Golden has been cruising to Hawaii for a number of years and has added talks on Hawaiian culture and history to provide for a true Hawaiian experience. She does it right!
  4. The Golden has the Vista Lounge rather than the Sapphire's Club Fusion.
  5. I prefer the "shopping cart" handle location for Skywalkers.

Princess will attempt to duplicate the "Golden Experience" on the Sapphire and also the Star our of San Francisco, but why not cruise on the original - IMHO.

Thanks

Sailed on both & prefer the Golden for a few reasons vs the Sapphire.

Golden was refurbished in April '09 with all of the improvements that are in the newest ships...Sanctuary, MUTS, Crown Grill, International Cafe, Piazza, etc. I don't recall any of these on the Sapphire which is scheduled for these updates in early 2012.

Here's one example, the Crown Grill specialty restaurant has the expanded menu with the wood decor of a steakhouse; the Sapphire has the Sterling with a more limited menu in a seperated back section of the Horizon Court.

Based on getting off the Golden recently, the group Elua (Leialoha & Dave) provided a great Hawaiian experience. Their normal CD David Cole was on vacation but the experience was still great & I'd highly recommend the Golden for this reason only.

Since I haven't been on the Sapphire to Hawaii, I don't know if they provide a similar experience or not. Years ago on the Regal there was very little Hawaiian feel but don't know about the Sapphire.

It may come down to schedule & price...it didn't stop me from booking the Sapphire's Wine Coastal cruise in May so I enjoyed both ships...just prefer the Golden to Hawaii based on our recent cruise.

[*]The Golden has the Vista Lounge rather than the Sapphire's Club Fusion.

[*]I prefer the "shopping cart" handle location for Skywalkers.

Those are very good points. I don't care much for Club Fusion. The sight lines are horrible. They basically want you to watch the TV's they have set up all over the room. And I prefer the location of Skywalkers as well...over the aft section of the ship. The moving sidewalk entrance is neat.

One thing I do like better about the Sapphire though, is the location of the Wheelhouse Bar. It's a much larger room right outside the Princess Theater. On the Golden it's tucked into a smaller space along the Promenade.

Thanks

I just posted my 1st review after 25 cruises about our recent Golden experiences to Hawaii if it would be helpful for you along with others comments:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=76326

I just posted my 1st review after 25 cruises about our recent Golden experiences to Hawaii if it would be helpful for you along with others comments:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I just wanted to thank you for your Golden review. Lots of excellent information.

We made the decision to go with Sapphire for our Hawaii trip in March.

For one thing, we've sailed the Golden - we loved that cruise - and we'd like to see other ships in the fleet, too.

For another, I have no real interest in MUTS. I loved the coffee bar on the Golden (pre IC days), and am hoping that the Sapphire's coffee bar will be much like it.

Also, the Sapphire schedule is better for us, which clinched the deal. :)

For one thing, we've sailed the Golden - we loved that cruise - and we'd like to see other ships in the fleet, too.

For another, I have no real interest in MUTS. I loved the coffee bar on the Golden (pre IC days), and am hoping that the Sapphire's coffee bar will be much like it.

In your case, I would have chosen the Sapphire as well. I like sailing on different ships. And the Sapphire does have some minor differences from the Golden. The Wheelhouse Bar is much nicer, for one thing. Have a great cruise!

Last year I sailed on Sapphire twice and Golden once. Both ships were great. But I don't think anyone has mentioned that Sapphire (along with Diamond) has 4 smaller anytime dinning rooms, each featuring a particular dish based on the theme of that dining room (Italian, Mexican, Asian, Chop House). I liked the feeling of dining in different restaurants (although the menus are the same except for the one specialty item-ask the waiter if you would like to try one from a different dining room). I did like the International Cafe and Vines as well as the layout of the Vista show lounge aft on Golden, though.

This may be a dumb question but what is MUTS?

Pardon another off topic post, but I also wanted to thank you for your review which I enjoyed reading. We are sailing the Golden on February 02,2011. Can't wait.....:):):)

Bob

Shappire over the Golden and there is no comparison as far as we are concerned.

1. The four choices of dining rooms in the Shappire.

2. The theater in both ships are the same size but the Golden has a lot more passengers. To get a seat on the Golden get there a half hour early at least.

3. The deck on the Golden is narrower (which I assume allows Princess to have more rooms to accomodate more people). The Shappire has deck lounges (which we love) and the Golden just has benches (because of lack of space).

4. The Golden (and sister ships) seem to have more people (crowded) in less space.

We wil take the Shappire or Diamond over the Golden (and sisters ships) in a heartbeat. Our favourite cruises have been on these two.

It really depends on what is important to you.

Shappire over the Golden and there is no comparison as far as we are concerned.

1. The four choices of dining rooms in the Shappire.

2. The theater in both ships are the same size but the Golden has a lot more passengers. To get a seat on the Golden get there a half hour early at least.

3. The deck on the Golden is narrower (which I assume allows Princess to have more rooms to accomodate more people). The Shappire has deck lounges (which we love) and the Golden just has benches (because of lack of space).

4. The Golden (and sister ships) seem to have more people (crowded) in less space.

We wil take the Shappire or Diamond over the Golden (and sisters ships) in a heartbeat. Our favourite cruises have been on these two.

It really depends on what is important to you.

It is interesting how impressions vary. The Sapphire/Diamond actually have approximately 75 more passengers than the Grand/Golden/Star. The Sapphire/Diamond were built in Japan and are about 5 feet wider and apparently have a wider Promenade. There is about the same space per passenger on all of the 5 ships.

FYI...the Sapphire at 116,000 tons & the Golden at 109,000 tons both carry 2,600 passengers with the same size Princess Theater. And getting to the theater early is a good idea on most ships with crowds based on many variables such as destination & whether port intensive.

We've sailed both ships...the Golden this May & November and the Sapphire in May '09 & next May so we enjoy both of them.

But based on our recent experience on the Golden to Hawaii, for the reasons I posted earlier in this thread & my review, my choice would be the Golden.

But that's just me & others may prefer the Sapphire.

Archived